-   -   Chrome Updated, Now Flash Won't Work In Firefox (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/681140-chrome-updated-now-flash-wont-work-firefox.html)

"A.D. Burrows" 07-08-2012 12:38 AM

Chrome Updated, Now Flash Won't Work In Firefox

Thanks first of all to anybody for your kind attention.

Last Thursday, (28/JN/2012), Google Chrome updated. Ever since then,
Chrome will not load and Flash applications will not play in Firefox.
(Firefox V13.0.1 is my regular browser, I only keep Chrome around in
case Ff can't do something I need.) When I try to load Chrome, the
mouse pointer turns into a bouncy Chrome icon, a Chrome bar appears in
Task Manager, then the mouse pointer reverts, the bar disappears and
no Chrome window ever opens. In Firefox, when for instance I try to
watch a Youtube video, all I see is a black box which allows me the
option to block that video and nothing else. I've tried playing other
Flash apps, none of them work.

I have Flash-Aid 2.2.3 installed in Ff. I tried using it to re-install
Adobe Flash Player, both stable and beta versions; no joy. I tried
using apt-get to un-install and re-install Google Chrome, (I
accidentally installed Chromium instead and it won't play Flash apps
either); no joy. I tried using apt-get to un-install and re-install
the flash player, several times and in several ways; no joy. I tried
using KPackageKit to install Gnash, (because it's easier and it was
possible); no joy. I even tried installing KlamAV in case I took a
virus that's affecting Flash; I'm having trouble with the installation
writing to it's own directories, but that's a matter for another time
and anyway I was just being thorough.

I'm running an AMD XP-M 1900+ system with 768MB RAM and a Geforce 5500
card, driver version 173. I'm using Kubuntu V10.04, KDE V4.4.5, core
version 2.6.32-41-generic. I'm pretty sure everything else works.

Please, how can I get Flash apps to work again? (Please note that I'm
not a very advanced user, I'll probably need some hand-holding through
this.)
-- Allan

Bruce Marshall 07-08-2012 02:11 AM

On Saturday, July 07, 2012 08:38:44 PM A.D. Burrows wrote:
> Please, how can I get Flash apps to work again? (Please note that I'm
> not a very advanced user, I'll probably need some hand-holding through
> this.)

Chrome and FF and Flash work fine here on an AMD64 kubuntu 12.04

Do you really only have 768mb of ram?? I have 8GB maybe memory is your
problem but I doubt it. You would have other problems too.

"A.D. Burrows" 07-08-2012 01:27 PM

On 12-07-08 at 22:11:39, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Saturday, July 07, 2012 08:38:44 PM A.D. Burrows wrote:
>> Please, how can I get Flash apps to work again? (Please note that I'm
>> not a very advanced user, I'll probably need some hand-holding through
>> this.)
>
> Chrome and FF and Flash work fine here on an AMD64 kubuntu 12.04
>
> Do you really only have 768mb of ram?? I have 8GB maybe memory is your
> problem but I doubt it. You would have other problems too.

Bruce, thank you for your attention. I occasionally have paging
delays, but nothing I can't live with. I doubt my old L7VMMS
motherboard could take much more RAM and I can't afford it now anyway.
Besides, I was using Flash apps on Ff just minutes before the Chrome
update. It must have been the update that did it!

"Michael W. Holdeman" 07-08-2012 01:56 PM

Chrome Updated, Now Flash Won't Work In Firefox

AMD 64. 8g ram...

On Jul 8, 2012 9:29 AM, "A.D. Burrows" <burrowsad@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12-07-08 at 22:11:39, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> > On Saturday, July 07, 2012 08:38:44 PM A.D. Burrows wrote:

> >> Please, how can I get Flash apps to work again? (Please note that I'm

> >> not a very advanced user, I'll probably need some hand-holding through

> >> this.)

> > Chrome and FF and Flash work fine here on an AMD64 *kubuntu *12.04

> > Do you really only have 768mb of ram?? * I have 8GB * maybe memory is your

> > problem but I doubt it. * You would have other problems too.

> Bruce, thank you for your attention. I occasionally have paging

> delays, but nothing I can't live with. I doubt my old L7VMMS

> motherboard could take much more RAM and I can't afford it now anyway.

> Besides, I was using Flash apps on Ff just minutes before the Chrome

> update. It must have been the update that did it!

've been having pageing issues for the last few updates to chrome and ff..

I get the errror panel asking if I want to kill the page.

Ryan Gauger 07-08-2012 03:26 PM

Dimitris Kardarakos 07-08-2012 06:59 PM

Chrome Updated, Now Flash Won't Work In Firefox

Can you check in folder /etc/alternatives, if a file like "mozilla-flashplugin"
exists?

If it is a link, can you check to what file is pointing to?
(executing 'ls -lrt' on /etc/alternatives)

Does the destination of the link really exist?

Please, how can I get Flash apps to work again? (Please note that I'm
not a very advanced user, I'll probably need some hand-holding through
this.)

Chrome and FF and Flash work fine here on an AMD64 kubuntu 12.04

Do you really only have 768mb of ram?? I have 8GB maybe memory is your
problem but I doubt it. You would have other problems too.

Actually, a lot of computers (laptops specifically) only have 512mb of RAM. But it could be a memory issue, I'm not sure.

--
Dimitris

"A.D. Burrows" 07-09-2012 01:18 PM

On Sunday, July 08, 2012 09:59:00 PM Dimitris Kardarakos wrote:
> On Saturday, July 07, 2012 08:38:44 PM A.D. Burrows wrote:
> > Please, how can I get Flash apps to work again? (Please note that I'm
> > not a very advanced user, I'll probably need some hand-holding through
> > this.)
>
> Can you check in folder /etc/alternatives, if a file like
> "mozilla-flashplugin" exists?
>
> If it is a link, can you check to what file is pointing to? (executing
> 'ls -lrt' on /etc/alternatives)
>
> Does the destination of the link really exist?

Dimitris, thanks very much for your attention. I appreciate your
trying to help. I fixed the top-reply for you.

It exists and it's a link.

/etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin points to
/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so

And /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so seems to exist.
And ls -ls gives this info about it.
17000 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17406436 2012-07-03 20:51
/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so

Does that name and directory seem a little odd to you? Can it function
with Firefox if it belongs to root?

Josť Queiroz 07-09-2012 03:33 PM

2012/7/7 A.D. Burrows <burrowsad@gmail.com>

[...]

Did you tried just forcing reinstall of flash plugin?

sudo apt-get install --reinstall flashplugin-installer

Dimitris Kardarakos 07-09-2012 06:10 PM

Chrome Updated, Now Flash Won't Work In Firefox

There is no problem with library ownership, since libraries are used
through the dynamic loader, not directly. And the files/links seems OK.

If you go to "Add Ons" (Firefox menu) what flash related plugins can you
see?