-   -   Some questions regarding Kubuntu Hardy on a Thinkpad X61s (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/68054-some-questions-regarding-kubuntu-hardy-thinkpad-x61s.html)

Nils 04-11-2008 10:01 AM

Some questions regarding Kubuntu Hardy on a Thinkpad X61s

Hi all

I installed Kubuntu Alpha 5 on a X61s some time ago. It installed KDE
4 as the default desktop. Then I installed KDE 3 manually and use
since them KDE 3 as desktop environment (with a few KDE 4 apps)

Some things that made problems:

- The volume adjustment buttons work correct, but there is no visual
feedback. I could not figure out which package is responsible for the
visual feedback for these buttons, but maybe it's just not installed,
because I had to install KDE 3 manually.

- When connected to the dock and an external monitor, the function key
to switch the display is not working.

- I could not get the microphone of an analog headset working with
Skype. However audio output works.

Thanks in advance for comments and ideas how to fix this.

"Jonas Norlander" 04-11-2008 12:32 PM

2008/4/11 Nils <n.bruenggel@gmail.com>:
> Hi all
>
> I installed Kubuntu Alpha 5 on a X61s some time ago. It installed KDE
> 4 as the default desktop. Then I installed KDE 3 manually and use
> since them KDE 3 as desktop environment (with a few KDE 4 apps)
>
> Some things that made problems:
>
> - The volume adjustment buttons work correct, but there is no visual
> feedback. I could not figure out which package is responsible for the
> visual feedback for these buttons, but maybe it's just not installed,
> because I had to install KDE 3 manually.

I think the package is kmilo and it handles special keys in KDE. It
should be installed
as default with KDE desktop.
Kmilo has bugs, 100% CPU, volume only 0 - 11% and others. Supposed to
be fixed in
KDE 3.5.9 but not for me. In kontrol panel and KDE services (i think)
you see if its running
and activate/deactivate it.

/ Jonas