Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 PM
"Bas Roufs - En."

Default KNetworkmanager: no reliable WIFI connections.

Hello everybody,
in several preceding Kubuntu editions, KNetworkManager functioned quite well.
However, now in Kubuntu 12.04, I have difficulties getting reliable WIFI
connections. Often, the system keeps "configuring the interface" or "setting
the network-address". Sometimes, the system keeps asking for a password
already given in several times. By means of a few "workarounds" I do get
connected, however, it costs a lot of time and effort.
Any suggestion or thought?

Thanks, respectfully yours,
Bas.
--
============================
Bas G. Roufs MA

Old 07-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

You could try WiCD - in the repositories.

Sent from my Motorola Xoom running Ice Cream Sandwich

[...]

Websites in construction:

BasRoufs.eu

Viaconsensus.nl

RainbowGathering.eu

Old 07-05-2012, 05:50 AM
Basil Chupin

in several preceding Kubuntu editions, KNetworkManager functioned quite well.
However, now in Kubuntu 12.04, I have difficulties getting reliable WIFI
connections. Often, the system keeps "configuring the interface" or "setting
the network-address". Sometimes, the system keeps asking for a password
already given in several times. By means of a few "workarounds" I do get
connected, however, it costs a lot of time and effort.
Any suggestion or thought?

Thanks, respectfully yours,
Bas.
I *think* I read something yesterday which said that the problem was in
the kernel and that upgrading the kernel to version *-26 got the problem
solved.

Do a search in Launchpad about this.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 & kernel 3.4.4.2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

Old 07-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Georgi Kourtev

In my installation Knetwork manager cannot show mobile broadband connection.* All related tabs are disabled even when the modem is plugged in. At the same time kppp and wvdial do the job. I have no idea how to solve this.

На 05.07.2012 08:51 "Basil Chupin" <blchupin@iinet.net.au> написа:

Old 07-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Bas Roufs

Hello everybody
Thanks for all your feedback so far.

> You could try WiCD - in the repositories.
When taking a look at https://launchpad.net/wicd, it becomes that the
newest versions of WICD has similar problems. See below.
However, I keep this option in mind in case the problems persist.

> I *think* I read something yesterday which said that the problem was in the kernel and that upgrading the kernel to version *-26 got the problem solved.
> Do a search in Launchpad about this.
On one hand, I did not yet find exactly the article you may be
pointing at. On the other hand, a few other details I found out today
possibly indicate that you might be right.
Elswhere at launchpad I found this bug report:
http://tinyurl.com/bug1014893
I already added a comment there.
A few recent comments on WICD point in the same direction: see
https://launchpad.net/wicd, under the heading "Recent posts".
Those comments aim at similar password and connection problems when
using WICD - a package with the same functionality as KNetworkmanager.
Now, I am working with WIFI - with no interruptions so far. Before the
reboot preceding this session, I did download and install a bunch of
updates. However, I am not sure whether I already installed version
*-26 of the kernel or anything else with a relevant bug fix. I will
report my findings here after a few days.

Respectfully yours,
Bas Roufs.