Old 06-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default No network on 12.04 install

I just installed Kubuntu 12.04 on a new computer with an Asus
motherboard containing onboard NIC. The onboard NIC is enabled in
BIOS. I don't happen to have a spare network card to test with. The
internet connection is via a D-Link router, either wired or wireless
via T-Link USB wireless adapter. The internet connection works fine
for other computers on the network (2 wired and 1 wireless). I have
tried multiple known-good cables and router ports with this computer.
I also booting into Kubuntu 11.10 LiveCD to test there as well, same
results.

This machine will not connect to the internet. On the wired connection in 12.04:

shelly@neptune:~$ sudo service networking status
networking stop/waiting
shelly@neptune:~$ sudo service networking restart
stop: Unknown instance:
networking stop/waiting
shelly@neptune:~$ ping google.com
ping: unknown host google.com
shelly@neptune:~$ ping 127.0.0.1
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_req=1 ttl=64 time=0.027 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_req=2 ttl=64 time=0.019 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_req=3 ttl=64 time=0.017 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_req=4 ttl=64 time=0.027 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_req=5 ttl=64 time=0.018 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_req=6 ttl=64 time=0.021 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_req=7 ttl=64 time=0.019 ms
^C
--- 127.0.0.1 ping statistics ---
7 packets transmitted, 7 received, 0% packet loss, time 5997ms
shelly@neptune:~$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 54:04:a6:82:6b:eb
inet6 addr: fe80::5604:a6ff:fe82:6beb/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:360 (360.0 B) TX bytes:50506 (50.5 KB)
Interrupt:46 Base address:0xe000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:10616 (10.6 KB) TX bytes:10616 (10.6 KB)

shelly@neptune:~$ lshw -C network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-network
product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 06
serial: 54:04:a6:82:6b:eb
size: 100Mbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt
10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169
driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full firmware=rtl8168e-3_0.0.4
03/27/12 latency=0 multicast=yes port=MII speed=100Mbit/s
resources: irq:46 ioport:e000(size=256)
memory:d0004000-d0004fff memory:d0000000-d0003fff
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this
program as super-user.
shelly@neptune:~$ sudo lshw -C network
*-network
product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 06
serial: 54:04:a6:82:6b:eb
size: 100Mbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list
ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd
autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169
driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full firmware=rtl8168e-3_0.0.4
03/27/12 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=100Mbit/s
resources: irq:46 ioport:e000(size=256)
memory:d0004000-d0004fff memory:d0000000-d0003fff
shelly@neptune:~$ sudo service network-manager status
network-manager start/running, process 823
shelly@neptune:~$ sudo service network-manager restart
network-manager stop/waiting
network-manager start/running, process 1684
shelly@neptune:~$ lsmod | grep -i r8169
r8169 62099 0
shelly@neptune:~$

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 06-30-2012, 03:47 AM
Basil Chupin

I just installed Kubuntu 12.04 on a new computer with an Asus
motherboard containing onboard NIC. The onboard NIC is enabled in
BIOS. I don't happen to have a spare network card to test with. The
internet connection is via a D-Link router, either wired or wireless
via T-Link USB wireless adapter. The internet connection works fine
for other computers on the network (2 wired and 1 wireless). I have
tried multiple known-good cables and router ports with this computer.
I also booting into Kubuntu 11.10 LiveCD to test there as well, same
results.

This machine will not connect to the internet. On the wired connection in 12.04:

2 days ago I installed an additional HDD on the computer. Took it off
the workbench, connected it to all the normal things - but I had no
connection to the internet (ie ADSL modem). The lights on the modem
showed that the cable WAS connected to the computer. Changed cables,
checked the BIOS, reset the BIOS - still nothing.

Yesterday I went out and bought a PCIe network card and now I have
internet access.

For some unknown reason the onboard LAN decided to die. And I always use
an antistatic strap when I am messing around with a computer.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 and kernel 3.4.4 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

Old 06-30-2012, 06:50 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 6:47 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> 2 days ago I installed an additional HDD on the computer. Took it off the
> workbench, connected it to all the normal things - but I had no connection
> to the internet (ie ADSL modem). The lights on the modem showed that the
> cable WAS connected to the computer. Changed cables, checked the BIOS, reset
> the BIOS - still nothing.
>
> Yesterday I went out and bought a PCIe network card and now I have internet
> access.
>
> For some unknown reason the onboard LAN decided to die. And I always use an
> antistatic strap when I am messing around with a computer.
>
> BC

My first inclination was a dead LAN port, but the computer shows the
same symptoms when trying to connect via USB wireless card.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 06-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Basil Chupin

2 days ago I installed an additional HDD on the computer. Took it off the
workbench, connected it to all the normal things - but I had no connection
to the internet (ie ADSL modem). The lights on the modem showed that the
cable WAS connected to the computer. Changed cables, checked the BIOS, reset
the BIOS - still nothing.

Yesterday I went out and bought a PCIe network card and now I have internet
access.

For some unknown reason the onboard LAN decided to die. And I always use an
antistatic strap when I am messing around with a computer.

BC

My first inclination was a dead LAN port, but the computer shows the
same symptoms when trying to connect via USB wireless card.

That particular USB port has 'gone' as well?

I even re-installed the whole OS system because I did not believe that
the onboard LAN could have gone belly up after only 2 months of use.
But....as they say in the movies, "S*** happens" :-( .

Does doing 'sudo lshw' or 'hwinfo' provide any clues? Or an entry in
/var/log message file?

BC

Old 06-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> That particular USB port has 'gone' as well?
>
> I even re-installed the whole OS system because I did not believe that the
> onboard LAN could have gone belly up after only 2 months of use. But....as
> they say in the movies, "S*** happens" :-( .
>
> Does doing 'sudo lshw' or 'hwinfo' provide any clues? Or an entry in
> /var/log message file?

The system recognises and I can select wifi networks, but none of them connect.

The problem is that the system is not getting an IP address. It
appears that DHCP was not configured for either eth0 nor the WAN. I'm
fighting with it now to get DHCP working.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 06-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Nils Kassube

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> The system recognises and I can select wifi networks, but none of
> them connect.
>
> The problem is that the system is not getting an IP address. It
> appears that DHCP was not configured for either eth0 nor the WAN. I'm
> fighting with it now to get DHCP working.

I would also check the router settings. If the router has DHCP disabled,
you wouldn't get an IP address either. I'm quite sure that DHCP is
enabled by default for Kubuntu.

Nils

Old 06-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Basil Chupin

That particular USB port has 'gone' as well?

I even re-installed the whole OS system because I did not believe that the
onboard LAN could have gone belly up after only 2 months of use. But....as
they say in the movies, "S*** happens" :-( .

Does doing 'sudo lshw' or 'hwinfo' provide any clues? Or an entry in
/var/log message file?

The system recognises and I can select wifi networks, but none of them connect.

The problem is that the system is not getting an IP address. It
appears that DHCP was not configured for either eth0 nor the WAN. I'm
fighting with it now to get DHCP working.

Which is exactly what I went through and why I re-installed the system
thinking that the network configuration was somehow messed up :-( .

In my case, I even checked that the little contact "fingers" in the RJ45
connectors were correctly in place and didn't somehow get out of their
position (which actually happened many years ago on one of the RJ11
connectors).

The only suggestions I can now offer is to get a network card (borrow or
buy) and install that.

Frustrating I know when you think that there is no logical reason for
something like what you are experiencing should suddenly happen.

BC

Old 06-30-2012, 02:56 PM
FarSight Data Systems

On Saturday, June 30, 2012 08:46:29 AM Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 30/06/12 21:59, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> > On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> >> That particular USB port has 'gone' as well?

> >> I even re-installed the whole OS system because I did not believe that

> >> the onboard LAN could have gone belly up after only 2 months of use.

> >> But....as they say in the movies, "S*** happens" :-( .

> >> Does doing 'sudo lshw' or 'hwinfo' provide any clues? Or an entry in

> >> /var/log message file?

> > The system recognises and I can select wifi networks, but none of them

> > connect.

> > The problem is that the system is not getting an IP address. It

> > appears that DHCP was not configured for either eth0 nor the WAN. I'm

> > fighting with it now to get DHCP working.

> Which is exactly what I went through and why I re-installed the system

> thinking that the network configuration was somehow messed up :-( .

> In my case, I even checked that the little contact "fingers" in the RJ45

> connectors were correctly in place and didn't somehow get out of their

> position (which actually happened many years ago on one of the RJ11

> connectors).

> The only suggestions I can now offer is to get a network card (borrow or

> buy) and install that.

> Frustrating I know when you think that there is no logical reason for

> something like what you are experiencing should suddenly happen.

> BC

One of the things I like to do to test hardware is boot with knoppix. It will find all the working hardware, If the hardware works with that then you have an OS, configuration, or software problem. If the hardware doesn't work then, you need to fix the hardware.

Mark

Old 07-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> The system recognises and I can select wifi networks, but none of
>> them connect.
>>
>> The problem is that the system is not getting an IP address. It
>> appears that DHCP was not configured for either eth0 nor the WAN. I'm
>> fighting with it now to get DHCP working.
>
> I would also check the router settings. If the router has DHCP disabled,
> you wouldn't get an IP address either. I'm quite sure that DHCP is
> enabled by default for Kubuntu.

Thank you Nils. The router does have DHCP enabled and working for
other computers on the LAN and WAN. Also, I tried connecting to
another known-good router on another network and also there would not
get an IP address.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Which is exactly what I went through and why I re-installed the system
> thinking that the network configuration was somehow messed up :-( .
>
> In my case, I even checked that the little contact "fingers" in the RJ45
> connectors were correctly in place and didn't somehow get out of their
> position (which actually happened many years ago on one of the RJ11
> connectors).
>
> The only suggestions I can now offer is to get a network card (borrow or
> buy) and install that.
>
> Frustrating I know when you think that there is no logical reason for
> something like what you are experiencing should suddenly happen.

The network cable, router, router port, and USB wifi adapter are
known-good and work with other equipment. Frustratingly, even an
openSuse 12.1 LiveCD did not get an IP address via DHCP either!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com