Old 07-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Basil Chupin

Default No network on 12.04 install

On 01/07/12 20:00, Dotan Cohen wrote:

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

Which is exactly what I went through and why I re-installed the system
thinking that the network configuration was somehow messed up :-( .

In my case, I even checked that the little contact "fingers" in the RJ45
connectors were correctly in place and didn't somehow get out of their
position (which actually happened many years ago on one of the RJ11
connectors).

The only suggestions I can now offer is to get a network card (borrow or
buy) and install that.

Frustrating I know when you think that there is no logical reason for
something like what you are experiencing should suddenly happen.

The network cable, router, router port, and USB wifi adapter are
known-good and work with other equipment. Frustratingly, even an
openSuse 12.1 LiveCD did not get an IP address via DHCP either!

Eh, sorry Dotan, but me thinks that it would appear that there is
something wrong with the mobo :-( .

But have you tried using a (borrowed) network card?

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 and kernel 3.4.4 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

Old 07-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Eh, sorry Dotan, but me thinks that it would appear that there is something
> wrong with the mobo :-( .
>
> But have you tried using a (borrowed) network card?

I tend to agree with you on this, but then why isn't it getting an IP
address when connecting via wifi over USB wifi adapter? I tried on two
separate known-good access points that I can connect to with other
equipment.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 07-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Basil Chupin

Eh, sorry Dotan, but me thinks that it would appear that there is something
wrong with the mobo :-( .

But have you tried using a (borrowed) network card?

I tend to agree with you on this, but then why isn't it getting an IP
address when connecting via wifi over USB wifi adapter? I tried on two
separate known-good access points that I can connect to with other
equipment.

On the surface this appears to be a most reasonable question.

But what is now required - and which is always required when trying to
solve a problem - is to eliminate the variables which, in this case, is
trying out a (borrowed) network card. Once this has been tested then one
can concentrate on other possible causes of the problem :-) . Until this
is eliminated as a possible cause then your question comes to the
forefront :-) .

BC

Old 07-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Dotan,
On 1 July 2012 13:34, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tend to agree with you on this, but then why isn't it getting an IP
> address when connecting via wifi over USB wifi adapter? I tried on two
> separate known-good access points that I can connect to with other
> equipment.

Not getting an IP via DHCP doesn't mean anything but there might be a
software fault. First, does it work at all? Assign it an IP address by
hand and then try pinging around.

Also you can do this:
hakan@jupiter:17:26:30:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

More than once, esp. on my cloned VMs, Ubuntu decides to add a 2nd
card and then forgets all about it.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

After you have assigned a fixed IP address to your network interface then ping 127.0.0.1 or "ping localhost" - same thing. This will be the lowest level test of your networking configuration.

If it returns a local ping then try the IP's of other computers on your local network. If that works try pinging some websites by name. Try "ping google.com". Many busy websites block ping return as a security measure but Google doesn't seem to at least on this Android Tablet.

Sent from my Motorola Xoom running Ice Cream Sandwich

On Jul 1, 2012 12:31 PM, "Hakan Koseoglu" <Dotan,

Old 07-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Leslie,

On 1 July 2012 19:37, Leslie Anne Chatterton <lahc2007@gmail.com> wrote:
> After you have assigned a fixed IP address to your network interface then
> ping 127.0.0.1 or "ping localhost" - same thing. This will be the lowest
> level test of your networking configuration.
>
> If it returns a local ping then try the IP's of other computers on your
> local network. If that works try pinging some websites by name. Try "ping
> google.com". Many busy websites block ping return as a security measure but
> Google doesn't seem to at least on this Android Tablet.

Pinging localhost doesn't mean anything. He should be at least pinging
the router or an other machine in the same network.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

Hi Hakan,

I would respectfully disagree. In diagnosing a problem we start at the simplest point and work out from there.

If pinging localhost works then there is a valid IP address and the TCP/IP stack is functioning properly. If pinging localhost doesn't return any answer then that is where the troubleshooting has to start. There is no use pinging anything else until this is working.

After that has been established as working correctly we move on to the LAN and then the external sites. This checks on DNS etc.

If one jumps ahead and does the last step first and if it fails* then you have to go back to basics anyway. Successful troubleshooting requires a methodical and systematic method of approach. It took me years to learn this and discipline myself to follow it consistently but it always works.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Leslie,

On 1 July 2012 20:30, Leslie Anne Chatterton <lahc2007@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would respectfully disagree. In diagnosing a problem we start at the
> simplest point and work out from there.
He had already posted messages with himself pinging localhost. We're
past that point.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

Hi Hakan,

Let's confine our remarks to being helpful to the man with the problem.

Best wishes,

Leslie Anne

Old 07-02-2012, 02:07 PM
uteck

A few things you could check are if dhcp is added to the
/etc/apparmor.d/disable directory. When I upgraded a 10.04 VM to
12.04 it would not get an address since Apparmor was blocking dhcp.
To disbale Apparmor from checking DHCP make this link;
ln -s /etc/apparmor.d/sbin.dhclient3 /etc/apparmor.d/disable/

Also look at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and see if it
has a card defined. Back up the file, then delete the SUBSYSTEM lines
and reboot and udev will redetect the card.

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Leslie Anne Chatterton
<lahc2007@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Hakan,
>
> Let's confine our remarks to being helpful to the man with the problem.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Leslie Anne
>
>> He had already posted messages with himself pinging localhost. We're
>> past that point.

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.