-   -   Backtrack IP resets every few minutes (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/678117-backtrack-ip-resets-every-few-minutes.html)

"TopBot ." 06-28-2012 02:06 PM

Backtrack IP resets every few minutes

Hi, I've been using backtrack 5 since a year on the same system and the same lan card. Since yesterday, my IP resets every 2-3 minutes and I have to repeatedly add "ifconfig eth0 192.168.xx.xx" and "route add default gw 192.168.xx.xx" to it to keep it running. Can't seem to find the solution after a few google searches. Any one has any idea what's wrong? I have dual boot and windows xp is working just fine on the same lan.

--
TopBot.

Steve Flynn 06-28-2012 02:15 PM

On 28 June 2012 15:06, TopBot . <topbot5@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I've been using backtrack 5 since a year on the same system and the same
> lan card. Since yesterday, my IP resets every 2-3 minutes and I have to
> repeatedly add "ifconfig eth0 192.168.xx.xx" and "route add default gw
> 192.168.xx.xx" to it to keep it running. Can't seem to find the solution
> after a few google searches. Any one has any idea what's wrong? I have dual
> boot and windows xp is working just fine on the same lan.

What IP does it reset to?
Do you have DHCP configured on your router to lease IP addresses for
only a few minutes?
Have you tried configuring your backtrack installation to always run
with a static IP and if so is it still resetting frequently?

I've got BT5 at home, but to be honest the last time I used BackTrack
was at version 4 and I had no issues with it

--
Steve

uteck 06-28-2012 02:18 PM

Backtrack IP resets every few minutes

Check to see if network manager got installed somehow.

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM, TopBot . <topbot5@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I've been using backtrack 5 since a year on the same system and the same
> lan card. Since yesterday, my IP resets every 2-3 minutes and I have to
> repeatedly add "ifconfig eth0 192.168.xx.xx" and "route add default gw
> 192.168.xx.xx" to it to keep it running. Can't seem to find the solution
> after a few google searches. Any one has any idea what's wrong? I have dual
> boot and windows xp is working just fine on the same lan.
>
> --
> TopBot.

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.

Guus 06-28-2012 02:28 PM

Backtrack IP resets every few minutes

Hi, I've been using backtrack 5 since a year on the
same system and the same lan card. Since yesterday, my IP resets
every 2-3 minutes and I have to repeatedly add "ifconfig eth0
192.168.xx.xx" and "route add default gw 192.168.xx.xx" to it to
keep it running. Can't seem to find the solution after a few
google searches. Any one has any idea what's wrong? I have dual
boot and windows xp is working just fine on the same lan.

--

TopBot.

Hi,

I have had a comparable problem from W7. In my case I had IPV6 and
IPV4 both open, which was causing the problems. As soon as I had
only one open, I had no problem.

I am not saying this is your problem, just something to look at.

The other thing is, that a change in computer behaviour is always
the result of a change in the configuration or software. You might
want to retrace your steps and find out what you or the system
changed in the past few days. Could easily be an (automated) update
somewhere.

P.S. are you posting for Kubuntu or ubuntu? Crossposts are often not
appreciated. I removed the ubuntu address from my post.

--

Kind regards, Guus Bonnema.

"TopBot ." 06-28-2012 02:52 PM

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb@gmail.com> wrote:

On 28 June 2012 15:06, TopBot . <topbot5@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I've been using backtrack 5 since a year on the same system and the same

> lan card. Since yesterday, my IP resets every 2-3 minutes and I have to

> repeatedly add "ifconfig eth0 192.168.xx.xx" and "route add default gw

> 192.168.xx.xx" to it to keep it running. Can't seem to find the solution

> after a few google searches. Any one has any idea what's wrong? I have dual

> boot and windows xp is working just fine on the same lan.

What IP does it reset to?

Do you have DHCP configured on your router to lease IP addresses for

only a few minutes?

Have you tried configuring your backtrack installation to always run

with a static IP and if so is it still resetting frequently?

I've got BT5 at home, but to be honest the last time I used BackTrack

was at version 4 and I had no issues with it

--

Steve

Here's what the IP resets to (settings before and after the reset respectively):

root@bt:~# ifconfig -a
eth0***** Link encap:Ethernet* HWaddr 00:1a:92:95:81:ca* ********* inet addr:192.168.93.92* Bcast:192.168.93.255* Mask:255.255.255.0
********* inet6 addr: fe80::21a:92ff:fe95:81ca/64 Scope:Link********* UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST* MTU:1500* Metric:1
********* RX packets:34391 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0********* TX packets:18367 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 ********* RX bytes:15099569 (15.0 MB)* TX bytes:4144722 (4.1 MB)
********* Interrupt:20 lo******* Link encap:Local Loopback*
********* inet addr:127.0.0.1* Mask:255.0.0.0********* inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
********* UP LOOPBACK RUNNING* MTU:16436* Metric:1********* RX packets:8203 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
********* TX packets:8203 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
********* RX bytes:491832 (491.8 KB)* TX bytes:491832 (491.8 KB)root@bt:~# ifconfig -a
eth0***** Link encap:Ethernet* HWaddr 00:1a:92:95:81:ca* ********* inet6 addr: fe80::21a:92ff:fe95:81ca/64 Scope:Link
********* UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST* MTU:1500* Metric:1********* RX packets:41153 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
********* TX packets:22356 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
********* RX bytes:17502811 (17.5 MB)* TX bytes:4992366 (4.9 MB)********* Interrupt:20
lo******* Link encap:Local Loopback* ********* inet addr:127.0.0.1* Mask:255.0.0.0
********* inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host********* UP LOOPBACK RUNNING* MTU:16436* Metric:1
********* RX packets:8398 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0********* TX packets:8398 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 ********* RX bytes:502020 (502.0 KB)* TX bytes:502020 (502.0 KB)

...settings are lost/initialized after the reset I think. My lan uses switches and a server which is connected to the main server; our IPs are static on the lan with no restrictions. All my auto updates are off and I did not change any settings. It just started to happen since a day ago.

--
TopBot.

"TopBot ." 06-28-2012 02:54 PM

[...]

Yes, I posted to both lists (I'm subscribed to both), my bad if that's not the norm here.
--
TopBot.

"TopBot ." 06-28-2012 02:56 PM

> [...]

********* RX bytes:17502811 (17.5 MB)* TX bytes:4992366 (4.9 MB)********* Interrupt:20

lo******* Link encap:Local Loopback* ********* inet addr:127.0.0.1* Mask:255.0.0.0

********* inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host********* UP LOOPBACK RUNNING* MTU:16436* Metric:1

********* RX packets:8398 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0********* TX packets:8398 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 ********* RX bytes:502020 (502.0 KB)* TX bytes:502020 (502.0 KB)

...settings are lost/initialized after the reset I think. My lan uses switches and a server which is connected to the main server; our IPs are static on the lan with no restrictions. All my auto updates are off and I did not change any settings. It just started to happen since a day ago.

I found these two posts similar to my issue on the web but none of them are properly addressed or resolved my issue:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45496

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/38913/centos-network-connection-breaks-every-5-min

--
TopBot.

Mika Suomalainen 06-28-2012 03:30 PM

On 28.06.2012 17:06, TopBot . wrote:
> Hi, I've been using backtrack 5 since a year on the same system and
> the same lan card. Since yesterday, my IP resets every 2-3 minutes
> and I have to repeatedly add "ifconfig eth0 192.168.xx.xx" and
> "route add default gw 192.168.xx.xx" to it to keep it running.
> Can't seem to find the solution after a few google searches. Any
> one has any idea what's wrong? I have dual boot and windows xp is
> working just fine on the same lan.
>
> -- TopBot.

BackTrack isn't official Ubuntu side-distribution, so support for
BackTrack isn't given on this list. Please try to find official
mailing list for BackTrack to get help with it.

PS. Please don't use HTML on this mailing list. It's forbidden in the
mailing list guidelines.

- --
[Mika Suomalainen](https://mkaysi.github.com/) ||

NOTICE! I am on mobile broadband with very limited time, so I cannot
read emails very much.
The best time to contact me is probably weekends when I have better
connectivity with good luck.

[gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys
4DB53CFE82A46728](http://mkaysi.github.com/PGP/key.txt) ||
[Why do I sign my
emails?](http://mkaysi.github.com/PGP/WhyDoISignEmails.html) ||
[Do you have problems verifying my PGP/MIME signature on mailing
list?](http://mkaysi.github.com/PGP/PGP-MIME.html) ||
[Please don't send
HTML.](http://mkaysi.github.com/articles/complaining/HTML.html) ||
[This signature](https://gist.github.com/2643070#file_icedove.md)