Old 06-29-2012, 05:11 PM
"TopBot ."

Default Backtrack IP resets every few minutes

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM, TopBot . <topbot5@googlemail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 3:22 AM, Guus <gbonnema@xs4all.nl> wrote:

On 06/28/2012 06:54 PM, TopBot . wrote:

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Guus <gbonnema@xs4all.nl>
wrote:

On 06/28/2012 04:54 PM, TopBot . wrote:

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:28
PM, Guus <gbonnema@xs4all.nl>
wrote:

On 06/28/2012 04:06 PM, TopBot . wrote:

Hi, I've been using
backtrack 5 since a year on the same
system and the same lan card. Since
yesterday, my IP resets every 2-3 minutes
and I have to repeatedly add "ifconfig
eth0 192.168.xx.xx" and "route add default
gw 192.168.xx.xx" to it to keep it
running. Can't seem to find the solution
after a few google searches. Any one has
any idea what's wrong? I have dual boot
and windows xp is working just fine on the
same lan.

--

TopBot.

Hi,

I have had a comparable problem from W7. In my
case I had IPV6 and IPV4 both open, which was
causing the problems. As soon as I had only one
open, I had no problem.

I am not saying this is your problem, just
something to look at.

The other thing is, that a change in computer
behaviour is always the result of a change in
the configuration or software. You might want to
retrace your steps and find out what you or the
system changed in the past few days. Could
easily be an (automated) update somewhere.

P.S. are you posting for Kubuntu or ubuntu?
Crossposts are often not appreciated. I removed
the ubuntu address from my post.

--

Kind regards, Guus Bonnema.

Here's what the IP resets to (settings before and
after the reset respectively):

root@bt:~#
ifconfig -a
eth0***** Link
encap:Ethernet* HWaddr 00:1a:92:95:81:ca*
********* inet
addr:192.168.93.92* Bcast:192.168.93.255*
Mask:255.255.255.0
********* inet6
addr: fe80::21a:92ff:fe95:81ca/64 Scope:Link
********* UP
BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST* MTU:1500* Metric:1
********* RX
packets:34391 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
********* TX
packets:18367 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
carrier:0
*********
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
********* RX
bytes:15099569 (15.0 MB)* TX bytes:4144722 (4.1 MB)
*********
Interrupt:20

lo******* Link
encap:Local Loopback*
********* inet
addr:127.0.0.1* Mask:255.0.0.0
********* inet6
addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
********* UP
LOOPBACK RUNNING* MTU:16436* Metric:1
********* RX
packets:8203 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
********* TX
packets:8203 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
*********
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
********* RX
bytes:491832 (491.8 KB)* TX bytes:491832 (491.8 KB)

root@bt:~#
ifconfig -a
eth0***** Link
encap:Ethernet* HWaddr 00:1a:92:95:81:ca*
********* inet6
addr: fe80::21a:92ff:fe95:81ca/64 Scope:Link
********* UP
BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST* MTU:1500* Metric:1
********* RX
packets:41153 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
********* TX
packets:22356 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
carrier:0
*********
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
********* RX
bytes:17502811 (17.5 MB)* TX bytes:4992366 (4.9 MB)
*********
Interrupt:20

lo******* Link
encap:Local Loopback*
********* inet
addr:127.0.0.1* Mask:255.0.0.0
********* inet6
addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
********* UP
LOOPBACK RUNNING* MTU:16436* Metric:1
********* RX
packets:8398 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
********* TX
packets:8398 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
*********
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
********* RX
bytes:502020 (502.0 KB)* TX bytes:502020 (502.0 KB)

...settings are lost/initialized after the reset I
think. My lan uses switches and a server which is
connected to the main server; our IPs are static on
the lan with no restrictions. All my auto updates are
off and I did not change any settings. It just started
to happen since a day ago.

Yes, I posted to both lists (I'm subscribed to both),
my bad if that's not the norm here.

--

TopBot.

Hmmm,* could you check your logs for messages? Start looking
at /var/log/syslog.* I found lots of IP related messages in
my syslog. Also dmesg might contain a hint. Try to find out
why it resets. Then you have more to go on.

--

Kind regards, Guus Bonnema.

Couldn't find any reset related messages at the log.

sorry mate, midnight here, not reading for a while now.

What you should find out is whether the problem is one of your
machine or of a router.

If you are sure Windows does not have the same problem on the same
machine and with the same ip-configuration (fixed ip number, same
number), then you should focus on linux.

As far as the logs, if you lose your IP address, there must be
something in the logs that indicates what is going on.

--

Kind regards, Guus Bonnema.

Yes, windows is not facing the problem.. I'm attaching my log incase I didn't get something. I tried running it on dhcp but that didn't work too. I've to reset my IP every other minute still but I don't understand why this does not happen when the lan cable is not plugged in.. makes me thing this has something to do with my networl

--
TopBot.

For now I'm running this code to make atleast the internet browsing
experience better but the connection resets have loads of other setbacks
which are all irritating:

#!/bin/bash

while true

do