Old 04-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Nils Kassube

Default KNetworkManager & iwlist

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> After doing a 'sudo iwlist wlan0 scan', I noticed that the

Well, this isn't related to your problem, but you don't need sudo for
iwlist. Better use sudo only if it is really needed.

> KNetworkManager icon on the Kicker panel had changed from a plain icon
> to a blue bar graph and that when I right clicked on it, it showed all
> the available connections (there were several).

How long did you wait before the iwlist command? If it was only a short
time, it might be a coincidence with the delay of Knetworkmanager.
Sometimes it takes a short time (1 minute?) until the wireless networks
are visible here.

What version of Kubuntu are you using? I haven't seen such a behaviour
with Gutsy or Hardy. And what network card is it? Maybe someone else has
similar problems, but with my ipw2200 card I haven't seen it.

> Q. Why doesn't KNetworkManager invoke 'iwlist wlan0 scan' at start-up?
> and how can I enable it to do so?

If the command is really needed, you could make a script in
$HOME/.kde/Autostart to invoke the iwlist command after login. Something
like this:

#!/bin/sh
iwlist wlan0 scan

Nils

Old 04-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Nigel Ridley

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> After doing a 'sudo iwlist wlan0 scan', I noticed that the
>
> Well, this isn't related to your problem, but you don't need sudo for
> iwlist. Better use sudo only if it is really needed.

According to 'man iwlist':
Triggering scanning is a privileged operation (root only) and normal users can only read
left-over scan results.

>> KNetworkManager icon on the Kicker panel had changed from a plain icon
>> to a blue bar graph and that when I right clicked on it, it showed all
>> the available connections (there were several).
>
> How long did you wait before the iwlist command? If it was only a short
> time, it might be a coincidence with the delay of Knetworkmanager.
> Sometimes it takes a short time (1 minute?) until the wireless networks
> are visible here.

Actually I have been using Hardy since Alpha 5 and with a wireless router, but never has
the KNetworkManager icon changed from the grey 'dumb'one (where no network or device is
recognized) until I did the 'sudo iwlist wlan0'.
Strangely, I had to reboot and now the KNetworkManager icon is working properly, complete
with info and the 'blue graph' - go figure.....

> What version of Kubuntu are you using? I haven't seen such a behaviour
> with Gutsy or Hardy. And what network card is it? Maybe someone else has
> similar problems, but with my ipw2200 card I haven't seen it.

Hardy with a Broadcom BCM4310 USB Controller.

>> Q. Why doesn't KNetworkManager invoke 'iwlist wlan0 scan' at start-up?
>> and how can I enable it to do so?
>
> If the command is really needed, you could make a script in
> $HOME/.kde/Autostart to invoke the iwlist command after login. Something
> like this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> iwlist wlan0 scan

It seems to be working on its own now :-)

> Nils

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 04-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Nils Kassube

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Nigel Ridley wrote:
> >> After doing a 'sudo iwlist wlan0 scan', I noticed that the
> >
> > Well, this isn't related to your problem, but you don't need sudo for
> > iwlist. Better use sudo only if it is really needed.
>
> According to 'man iwlist':
> Triggering scanning is a privileged operation (root only) and normal
> users can only read left-over scan results.

Ooops, sorry - maybe I should read the man page and not just try without
sudo. My card seems to work without sudo, but perhaps that depends on the
card. And perhaps that is the reason for your card to never start
scanning.

> Strangely, I had to reboot and now the KNetworkManager icon is working
> properly, complete with info and the 'blue graph' - go figure.....

Hmm, really strange, but good that it works now.

Nils