Old 05-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Ivan Popivanov

Default No sound - where should I start looking?

I have been using Kubuntu 11.10 on my T400 laptop for a while now. One thing that is not working is the complete lack of sound. The interesting part is that on the same machine, Ubuntu 11.10 had sound out of the box.

In the "System Settings" - "Multimedia" - "Phonon" there are two devices for Music: 1) dCute Composite Device Analog Stereo and 2) Internal Audio Analog Stereo. Tried both - nothing. Tried removing and re-installing certain packages - nothing. Where should I start?

Thanks in advance,Ivan

Old 05-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Myriam Schweingruber

Hi Ivan,

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:04 AM, Ivan Popivanov
<ivan.popivanov@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been using Kubuntu 11.10 on my T400 laptop for a while now. One thing
> that is not working is the complete lack of sound. The interesting part is
> that on the same machine, Ubuntu 11.10 had sound out of the box.
>
> In the "System Settings" - "Multimedia" - "Phonon" there are two devices for
> Music: 1) dCute Composite Device Analog Stereo and 2) Internal Audio Analog
> Stereo. Tried both - nothing. Tried removing and re-installing certain
> packages - nothing. Where should I start?

First things first: make sure nothing is muted, either in KMix or
check with Alsamixer which is a konsole tool.

Then you should install the Veromix widget and Pavucontrol, since
Kubuntu uses Pulseaudio by default. You shouldn't modify any settings
in Phonon, besides an eventual backend switch.

Of course I assume you verified you are using either the gstreamer or
the vlc backend and don't use the long deprecated xine backend
anymore. In case of gstreamer you will have to install the plugins for
some file types like the bad and the ugly plugins to get mp3 and
mp4/aac play

Hope this helps.

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org

Old 05-30-2012, 04:06 AM
Ivan Popivanov

After re-booting for the first time after all package install/re-installs and I have sound!
Thanks,Ivan*