Old 05-29-2012, 03:49 AM
Chris Sislo

Default Problems with Brasero and burning DVD's

I posted in the past and got little help this time I know more and I'm
hoping someone can help me, anyways I thought I installed the necessary
packages and I tried reinstalling and that did no good either, I want to
burn a video file and when I try Brasero it says converting mpeg files
to mpeg 2 so am I to get this right first I must convert either .avi, or
mpeg4 files. My system is a Acer Aspire X1920 and all I need is DVD
files burnt I have other things to check out that might help but I have
installed all the good,bad,ugly and nice plugins from synaptic package
manager and still got nowhere.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:09 AM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

What are you starting out with that you want to make into a DVD? There are so many possibilities and each one requires a different method.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Chris Sislo

wrote:

I posted in the past and got little help this time I know more
and I'm hoping someone can help me, anyways I thought I
installed the necessary packages and I tried reinstalling and
that did no good either, I want to burn a video file and when
I try Brasero *it says converting mpeg files to mpeg 2 so am I
to get this right first I must convert either .avi, or mpeg4
files. My system is a Acer Aspire X1920 and all I need is DVD
files burnt I have other things to check out that might help
but I have installed all the good,bad,ugly and nice plugins
from synaptic package manager and still got nowhere.

*** If you mean media formats I am either starting out with MPEG4 or
.ogg or .avi none of them work it gets to 3MiB then stops when there
is 3567MiB to do. So I don't know what else to do and remember I
have the necessary plugins applied the good,bad,ugly and nice I
don't know what else to do. So that is my problem any help would be
nice.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 05-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Valter Mura

wrote:

I posted in the past and got little help this time I know more
and I'm hoping someone can help me, anyways I thought I
installed the necessary packages and I tried reinstalling and
that did no good either, I want to burn a video file and when
I try Brasero *it says converting mpeg files to mpeg 2 so am I
to get this right first I must convert either .avi, or mpeg4
files. My system is a Acer Aspire X1920 and all I need is DVD
files burnt I have other things to check out that might help
but I have installed all the good,bad,ugly and nice plugins
from synaptic package manager and still got nowhere.

Kubuntu? Better K3B, then.

Ciao
--

Valter

*Open Source is better!*

KDE: www.kde.org

Kubuntu: www.kubuntu.org

LibreOffice: www.libreoffice.org

Old 05-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

Hi Chris,

I don't know how much practical help it will be but look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4 for some MPEG-4 background.

For ogg: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg for AVI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Video_Interleave .

As you can see , none of these is a simple, uniform format, hence your difficulty in rendering these to a DVD. This leads to further questions. Where did you get the files you want to burn? Do they come from your camera/ camcorder? Downloaded from the web?

In my very limited experience Divx movies, which usually have an avi extension, that can be played on a computer, phone or tablet will usually burn as data files. Several will fit on one DVD. A minority of DVD/ blu-Ray players will play the result and the quality can be as good as a commercial DVD, but sometimes not nearly as good.

The standard DVD format consists of a number of .vob, .ifo and other files in a folder named video_ts; there is also an audio_ts folder, usually empty, apparently an abandoned part of the original standard retained for compatibility purposes. In spite of the scary FBI warnings DVD's can be copied for archival backup purposes fairly easily - but you do need to defeat the copy protection, which is illegal in some countries. "You shouldn't do this" ;- (

To create a standard DVD from home movies you require an authoring programme that supports the format your camera produces. I've never done this, but others have. There is free software available, I think in the repositories.

While ogg is an open source standard that can be used for encoding many audio and/or video files I've only used it for audio. If it plays on an appropriate software player you just burn it or them as data files and they should play on any hardware player designed to support ogg audio. Not many do.

This is hardly a satisfactory answer to your question but it should point you to some further areas you need to research. It is not a simple matter: there are many side issues you need to consider. This is not Kubuntu or Linux's fault, its just the way the standards are evolving.

As you can see, "mpeg-4", "avi" and "ogg" are not sufficient to define a file you may want to work with. If you have a more sharply focused question about all the specific sub-formats that define your file then ask away. Probably someone has "been there, done that" and can help you. Ice shared all I know, which isn't much.

Good luck and don't give up! As a colleague of mine told me: "Linux is not an operating system, its a way of life!"

Leslie Anne

> I posted in the past and got little help this time I know more and I'm
> hoping someone can help me, anyways I thought I installed the necessary
> packages and I tried reinstalling and that did no good either, I want to
> burn a video file and when I try Brasero *it says converting mpeg files to
> mpeg 2 so am I to get this right first I must convert either .avi, or mpeg4
> files. My system is a Acer Aspire X1920 and all I need is DVD files burnt I
> have other things to check out that might help but I have installed all the
> good,bad,ugly and nice plugins from synaptic package manager and still got
> nowhere.

1. Try k3b (I like it a lot).
2. If you just want to write the files into the DVD, ie: a data DVD,
you just create a "New Data Project" in k3b, and then just drag the
files there, after that: burn it, and you are don.

Now, if you want a DVD that you can play on any standard DVD player,
you will have to create a DVD structure, and that implies converting
the files to MPEG-2.... I have never done that, though, because if I
want to burn videos into a DVD, I usually watch it on the computer,
and if I want to watch it on the TV, I just use an USB drive, and plug
it to the TV (this TV reads videos from USB).

I hope this helps,

Ildefonso Camargo