Old 05-27-2012, 05:51 PM
"Marcelo Magno T. Sales"

Default Erratic mouse behavior in 12.04

Hello,

I'm running Kubuntu 12.04 64 bits fully updated and I'm experiencing some
strange mouse behaviors, completely reproducible in this machine (Dell
Inspiron One 2320). I have three others (vaio notebook and two Dell notebooks)
where this problem does not happen. Some examples:
1. In libreoffice Calc, if I hover the mouse over the zoom control bar in the
bottom right corner of Calc's window, the mouse grabs the zoom control by
itself, without me clicking any button. If I move the mouse left and right,
without ever touching its buttons, it drags the zoom control left and right.
2. In libreoffice Calc, if I left-click a tab other than the currently
selected one, the new tab is selected as expected, but the mouse behaves as if
the clicked button had stuck. When I move the mouse after selecting another
tab, the mouse cursor changes to the arrow with the little rectangle, as if it
was dragging a cell.
3. In Chromium, if I right-click a link and left-click "Open link in new tab",
the mouse behaves as if the left-click stuck. When I move the mouse after
opening the new tab, the mouse cursor changes to the little hand grabbing a
sheet, as if I was moving the clicked link.
4. In Chromium, if I middle-click a link to open it in a new tab and then
left-click the newly opened tab, the mouse cursor changes to the cross with
arrowed points (the move window cursor) and the window is restored, as if I
had started to drag it and let it go right after.

Until now, I haven't noticed such mouse problems when using native KDE
applications, except that sometimes I'm under the impression that the mouse
cursor image is not updating correctly according to context (arrow, text
insertion cursor, etc.).
Any idea on what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Marcelo

Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

Check in System Settings, Input Devices, Mouse. It sounds like you
have enabled some behaviours that you don't want. The options on that
page enable/disable the ability for "hover selection" and dragging
without clicking.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:41 PM
"Marcelo Magno T. Sales"

Em domingo, 27 de maio de 2012, ąs 15:20:13, Leslie Anne Chatterton escreveu:
> Check in System Settings, Input Devices, Mouse. It sounds like you
> have enabled some behaviours that you don't want. The options on that
> page enable/disable the ability for "hover selection" and dragging
> without clicking.

Hi,

I do not have these options there. I have three tabs:
General: options here are right/left handed, invert scroll direction and
single-click/double-click to open files
Advanced: pointer acceleration, some time intervals and lines to roll with
mouse wheel
Mouse navigation: options to configure mouse cursor navigation with the
keyboard

Couldn't find these options you mentioned anywhere in System Settings...

Thanks,

Marcelo

Old 05-28-2012, 12:06 AM
"Marcelo Magno T. Sales"

Em domingo, 27 de maio de 2012, ąs 14:51:05, Marcelo Magno T. Sales escreveu:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running Kubuntu 12.04 64 bits fully updated and I'm experiencing some
> strange mouse behaviors, completely reproducible in this machine (Dell
> Inspiron One 2320). I have three others (vaio notebook and two Dell
> notebooks) where this problem does not happen. Some examples:
> 1. In libreoffice Calc, if I hover the mouse over the zoom control bar in
> the bottom right corner of Calc's window, the mouse grabs the zoom control
> by itself, without me clicking any button. If I move the mouse left and
> right, without ever touching its buttons, it drags the zoom control left
> and right. 2. In libreoffice Calc, if I left-click a tab other than the
> currently selected one, the new tab is selected as expected, but the mouse
> behaves as if the clicked button had stuck. When I move the mouse after
> selecting another tab, the mouse cursor changes to the arrow with the
> little rectangle, as if it was dragging a cell.
> 3. In Chromium, if I right-click a link and left-click "Open link in new
> tab", the mouse behaves as if the left-click stuck. When I move the mouse
> after opening the new tab, the mouse cursor changes to the little hand
> grabbing a sheet, as if I was moving the clicked link.
> 4. In Chromium, if I middle-click a link to open it in a new tab and then
> left-click the newly opened tab, the mouse cursor changes to the cross with
> arrowed points (the move window cursor) and the window is restored, as if I
> had started to drag it and let it go right after.
>
> Until now, I haven't noticed such mouse problems when using native KDE
> applications, except that sometimes I'm under the impression that the mouse
> cursor image is not updating correctly according to context (arrow, text
> insertion cursor, etc.).
> Any idea on what could be causing this?

I've just found out that all these problems mentioned above are related to a
touchscreen device on this system. If I disable the touchscreen, all the
problems go away. Now I'm trying to get rid of the problems while keeping a
working touchscreen...

[]'s
Marcelo