Old 05-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Chris Sislo

Default I don't know if this is in the right list but DVD problems

On 05/26/2012 11:34 PM, Leslie Anne Chatterton wrote:

Dvd burning usually works flawlessly. In order to help us help
you please tell us which version of which distribution you have
installed and which app you are using. Is it an internal dvd
that came with the computer? Does it work with any other
operating system, including Windows?

On May 26, 2012 11:41 PM, "Chris Sislo"
<teknofreak1074@att.net>
wrote:

I don't know if this is right but if not a little help please.
When I try to burn a DVD I get the following error

Please install the following manually and try again:

mplex (GStreamer plugin)

vcdimager (application).

I don't know if this is the right list if not please direct me
to the right list but those are the list of problems I get
with trying to burn a DVD. Any help would be greatly
appreciated .

Thanks

Chris Sislo

I have the latest Kubuntu 12.04 and I can't use K3B cause it wont
see my DVD disc and if it does it gives me errors so I am familiar
with Brasero so I use that and these are the errors i get with K3B

1.The project does not contain all necessary video DVD files.

Thanks,

Chris

2.The resulting DVD will most likely not be playable on a Hifi DVD
player. (I am not worried about that one.)

3.Could not determine size of resulting image file.

So this should answer your questions about the various things I
forgot in my first post except maybe what Brasero it is all I know
is its from the Muon software center if that answers anything. I
just want to burn a DVD and watch it on my TV

Old 05-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

As I understand it you have complete success with Brasero. If that is the case then there its no reason not to continue to use it. If I have misunderstood please let me know. Many people use apps from Ubuntu in Kubuntu etc. and vice versa. It is a great advantage of Linux to always have choices. I realize that is not solving your problem!

As for k3b, the only suggestion I can make is to try removing and reinstalling KDE using synaptic or whatever app you prefer. It may then pull in the missing libraries and start to work properly.

Have you tried using a live CD of any other distro? Puppy Linux is small and fast. There are also other distros that use KDE. It would be interesting, if not helpful, to see if the problem is confined to Kubuntu.

Do let us know if any of this works.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Clay Weber

> On Sunday, May 27, 2012 06:54:54 AM Chris Sislo wrote:

> On 05/26/2012 11:34 PM, Leslie Anne Chatterton wrote:

> Dvd burning usually works flawlessly. In order to help us help you please tell us which version of which distribution you have installed and which app you are using. Is it an internal dvd that came with the computer? Does it work with any other operating system, including Windows?

> On May 26, 2012 11:41 PM, "Chris Sislo" <teknofreak1074@att.net> wrote:

> I don't know if this is right but if not a little help please. When I try to burn a DVD I get the following error
Please install the following manually and try again:
mplex (GStreamer plugin)
vcdimager (application).
I don't know if this is the right list if not please direct me to the right list but those are the list of problems I get with trying to burn a DVD. Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks
Chris Sislo

> I have the latest Kubuntu 12.04 and I can't use K3B cause it wont see my DVD disc and if it does it gives me errors so I am familiar with Brasero so I use that and these are the errors i get with K3B
1.The project does not contain all necessary video DVD files.
Thanks,
Chris
2.The resulting DVD will most likely not be playable on a Hifi DVD player. (I am not worried about that one.)
3.Could not determine size of resulting image file.
So this should answer your questions about the various things I forgot in my first post except maybe what Brasero it is all I know is its from the Muon software center if that answers anything. I just want to burn a DVD and watch it on my TV

What kind of video are you trying to burn? As imple video file? A backupcopy of a DVD?

*

To create a video DVD, you first need to have all your videos and menus with the correct formats ant structures before it is burned. Brasero is telling you some of the packages you need to install in order to do this, though I do not believe Brasero itself can create, or "author", a playable DVD on its own.

There are different formats for video-on-disc, one that you may try to use if you don't care about menus is a videoCD, but your DVD player must support playing these.

*

There is a program called Devede that can create different video disc formats and even has simple menu editor for them. It takes your videos , converts them to the correct format and then creates the file structure, then you can have it create an iso image, or you can usually just point Brasero to the folder it created. There are other applications out there, but most require you already have the video in the correct format already. The interface is somewhat clunky, but there are plenty of how-to's for it out there.

*

If you are copying a movie, K9Copy is your friend here, and if you already have the video as in iso image, well that is burned the same as one would burn a Kubuntu cd or dvd.

--

Clay Weber (claydoh)

http://kubuntuforums.net

http://kubuntu.org

http://ubuntumaine.org

Old 05-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Clay Weber

> On Sunday, May 27, 2012 09:08:19 AM Leslie Anne Chatterton wrote:
>
> As I understand it you have complete success with Brasero. If that is the
case then there its no reason not to continue to use it. If I have
misunderstood please let me know. Many people use apps from Ubuntu in
Kubuntu etc. and vice versa. It is a great advantage of Linux to always have
choices. I realize that is not solving your problem!
There is the chance here that as the backend that k3b uses to communicate
with the hardware is having trouble that Brasero's backend may have trouble
too,, especially as they both may be using the same thing behind the scenes.

> As for k3b, the only suggestion I can make is to try removing and
reinstalling KDE using synaptic or whatever app you prefer. It may then pull
in the missing libraries and start to work properly.
That will not happen, uninstalling and reinstalling things does little to
nothing in fixing problems in linux.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Clay Weber

Sorry for this mangling, turning off html for my replies is mucking it up.

clay

--
clay

Old 05-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Clay Weber

> [...]
>
> There are different formats for video-on-disc, one that you may try to use if
you don't care about menus is a videoCD, but your DVD player must support
playing these.

> There is a program called Devede that can create different video disc formats
and even has simple menu editor for them. It takes your videos , converts them
to the correct format and then creates the file structure, then you can have it
create an iso image, or you can usually just point Brasero to the folder it
created. There are other applications out there, but most require you already
have the video in the correct format already. The interface is somewhat
clunky, but there are plenty of how-to's for it out there.

> If you are copying a movie, K9Copy is your friend here, and if you already
have the video as in iso image, well that is burned the same as one would burn

Oops, I did forget to mention here that brasero needs the program "vcdimager"
to create a videoCD, which is probably the quickest and easiest way to get
where you want to go. I do believe you can burn a videoCD to a dvd. You can
easily install vcdimager using any package manager. To get the mplex gstreamer
plugin, try installing gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse

Old 05-28-2012, 02:51 AM
Basil Chupin

<mailto:teknofreak1074@att.net>> wrote:

I don't know if this is right but if not a little help please.
When I try to burn a DVD I get the following error
Please install the following manually and try again:
mplex (GStreamer plugin)
vcdimager (application).
I don't know if this is the right list if not please direct me to
the right list but those are the list of problems I get with
trying to burn a DVD. Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks
Chris Sislo

I have the latest Kubuntu 12.04 and I can't use K3B cause it wont see
my DVD disc and if it does it gives me errors so I am familiar with
Brasero so I use that and these are the errors i get with K3B

1.The project does not contain all necessary video DVD files.

What this is telling you is that you don't have k3b-codecs installed.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 KDE 4.8.3 and kernel 3.4.0 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor