Old 05-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Jacky Alciné

Default Social Aggregation of Data

Hello KDE!

I've been using KDE for quite some time and I personally really, really love
the environment. Everything's nicely tucked together, especially with contact
communication and what not. However, I do feel like it's missing some
elements. For example, when I browse the Web via rekonq, I noticed that a menu
option to share the currently viewed URL appears. By semantics, I figured that
it would allow me to pick a service to send this URL to and go about my way.

It opened up a composer for KMail. Now, I wasn't totally upset, I was planning
on e-mailing the link anyways. But there's links that I'd like to just tweet
or share on Facebook (or D*). I figured that something like a social media
module of sorts with plug-ins for different platforms (could use KNewStuff to
add more services) that could hook into KMainWindow or provide a special UI
element that, with a specific medium of data, would redistribute the content in
question. For example, if there's a image on my computer that I downloaded
from my camera, without having to open Gwenview, I could just right-click the
image, select "Share...", pick a service (given that the image is uploaded as
well) and watch the job occur in the background.

I figured it'd be a cool idea; and I'd consider working on a library with a
sample application to test it out. I'm planning on starting tonight (after
work) so I could [hopefully, with school] have something before Friday. I
wanted to get the opinion of KDE users themselves.

Ideas? Rants? Insults? All welcome.
--
Jacky Alcine

One Vision. One Purpose.
We Are the Synthetic Intellect Institute
http://www.thesii.org

--

Synthetic Intellect Institute
Trustee at www.thesii.org

Old 05-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Michael Hirsch

[...]

This sounds like a good idea to me.* I think that this is a logical place to use* a "servicemenu".* A servicemenu adds an option to a menu popup.* It can specify what kind of file (MIME-type) it applies to.* You could set one up so that in dolphin if you right-click a file it will offer to share it.* If the user chooses to share it, it is now up to your program to offer a collection of ways to share.

I think that is a good idea.* That is the way my phone works, and it is pretty handy.* Go for it.

Michael