Old 05-26-2012, 07:55 AM
Basil Chupin

Default amarok cannot play CD

On 26/05/12 17:09, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:

Hi

anyone experiencing this annoying problem which has been around for
many years? Amarok 2.5 is still not able to play audio CDs! The CD
shows up in the local collection, but with 0 tracks...

Lore

BLOGS: http://tronprog.blogspot.com http://longlivemusic.blogspot.com

Hang on for a second....amImisunderstanding somethinghere....

You are asking about a "..problem which has been around for *many*
years" [my emphasis].

And you have a "PhD in Computer Science", right?

Just checking that this is correct.

Anything in a Linux distribution is open source. You are aware of this,
right?

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 KDE 4.8.3 and kernel 3.4.0 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

Old 05-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Lorenzo Bettini

anyone experiencing this annoying problem which has been around for
many years? Amarok 2.5 is still not able to play audio CDs! The CD
shows up in the local collection, but with 0 tracks...

Hang on for a second....amImisunderstanding somethinghere....

You are asking about a "..problem which has been around for *many*
years" [my emphasis].

And you have a "PhD in Computer Science", right?

Just checking that this is correct.

Anything in a Linux distribution is open source. You are aware of this,
right?

I'm experiencing this problem in amarok 2.5 (and in bug reports it was
said that it has been fixed in version 2.5), that's why I'm asking...

what's this got to do with open source? (by the way, I'm maintainer of
many open source software, in particular GNU packages...)

Old 05-28-2012, 05:41 AM
Basil Chupin

anyone experiencing this annoying problem which has been around for
many years? Amarok 2.5 is still not able to play audio CDs! The CD
shows up in the local collection, but with 0 tracks...

Hang on for a second....amImisunderstanding somethinghere....

You are asking about a "..problem which has been around for *many*
years" [my emphasis].

And you have a "PhD in Computer Science", right?

Just checking that this is correct.

Anything in a Linux distribution is open source. You are aware of this,
right?

I'm experiencing this problem in amarok 2.5 (and in bug reports it was
said that it has been fixed in version 2.5), that's why I'm asking...

what's this got to do with open source? (by the way, I'm maintainer
of many open source software, in particular GNU packages...)

Perhaps I could have used different way of expressing myself but you did
say that the problem has been around for many years and with your
obvious experience you should be able to solve it - at least for
yourself by finding the erroneous code in Amarok's source code. No other
sinister meaning intended :-) .

BC

Old 05-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Myriam Schweingruber

Hi everyone,

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 27/05/12 00:49, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:

The problem is definitely fixed in the upcoming Amarok 2.6. I am
playing music from a CD with Amarok as I type this

FWIW: Amarok is indeed Free Software and anyone capable is welcome to
give a hand. Our developers only have 24 hours in their days as
everybody else and a day job, so all development is done in their free
time which is counted.

So instead of whining about a longstanding bug (which were actually
several problems, not just one, and most of them not Amarok related)
giving a hand in fixing it is always a good move
BTW, there also is the possibility for bug bounties aka paying a
developer to fix one particular bug, we wouldn't mind that either

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org

Old 05-30-2012, 07:15 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

Hi Myriam,

Why are you replying to me rather than the OP who raised the issued in
the first instance?

In any case, there is nothing in the above containing what *I* wrote -
only what the OP wrote.

Kindest of regards,

BC