Old 04-09-2008, 08:22 AM
James Gray

Default Strange behaviour in konsole

Hi All,

I rebuilt my work machine a few weeks ago and try as I might I can't
seem to iron out a small annoyance in Konsole. When editing a file in
Konsole with vi, the cursor (arrow) keys dump characters to the screen
instead of actually moving the cursor. However, this ONLY happens when
in insert mode. In command mode, the arrow keys work correctly.

For instance, in insert mode on the localhost in Konsole editing a text
file, I hit the left arrow a few times and get the following:

B <-- should be left arrow
B <-- should be left arrow
B <-- should be left arrow
A line of text

I pretty sure this is just some weird code-page/keyboard map or
something, but I can't find the magic combination to make it go away.
FWIW, this problem DOES NOT occur when SSH'ed into a different machine.

Cheers,

James

Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Wednesday 09 April 2008, James Gray wrote:
> I pretty sure this is just some weird code-page/keyboard map or
> something, but I can't find the magic combination to make it go away.
> FWIW, this problem DOES NOT occur when SSH'ed into a different machine.

Aw man, I can't for the life of me remember what this is, or how to fix it. I
haven't seen this problem in years. I just googled around trying to find
some old messages of mine, and came up empty.

I'll chew on it at work tomorrow, and maybe the boys in the basement will toss
something up.

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 04-10-2008, 06:38 AM
"Antonio Pérez"

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:22 AM, James Gray <james@gray.net.au> wrote:

> I rebuilt my work machine a few weeks ago and try as I might I can't
> seem to iron out a small annoyance in Konsole. When editing a file in
> Konsole with vi, the cursor (arrow) keys dump characters to the screen
> instead of actually moving the cursor. However, this ONLY happens when
> in insert mode. In command mode, the arrow keys work correctly.

Same problem here (Kubuntu 7.10). This makes me use "nano" in console
instead "vi".

--
Saludos:
Antonio Pérez

ATENCIÓN: Antes de imprimir este mensaje valora si verdaderamente es necesario.
De esta forma contribuimos a la preservación del Medio Ambiente.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:06 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/10 Antonio Pérez <aplistas@skarcha.com>:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:22 AM, James Gray <james@gray.net.au> wrote:
>
> > I rebuilt my work machine a few weeks ago and try as I might I can't
> > seem to iron out a small annoyance in Konsole. When editing a file in
> > Konsole with vi, the cursor (arrow) keys dump characters to the screen
> > instead of actually moving the cursor. However, this ONLY happens when
> > in insert mode. In command mode, the arrow keys work correctly.
>
> Same problem here (Kubuntu 7.10). This makes me use "nano" in console
> instead "vi".

Hi

Could it be that he use vi instead of vim? I have seen similar problems with
arrows, backspace, del and other special keys when using vi. On my system
vi and vim is both a symlink to /usr/bin/vim.basic, but i think that
when you start
vim as vi you enter some "legacy" mode. A fast look at the manual for vi and vim
don't give an answer to that, perhaps someone here on the list know?
You also got several vim packages to chose from. I think as default vim-tiny is
installed, you could try install vim-full to see if it make any difference.

/ Jonas

Old 04-10-2008, 09:12 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/10 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> Could it be that he use vi instead of vim? I have seen similar problems with
> arrows, backspace, del and other special keys when using vi. On my system
> vi and vim is both a symlink to /usr/bin/vim.basic, but i think that
> when you start
> vim as vi you enter some "legacy" mode. A fast look at the manual for vi and vim

The word i was looking for here is compatible and not legacy. So when
started as vi
you will run vim in a vi compatible mode.

/ Jonas

Old 04-10-2008, 04:07 PM
"Antonio Pérez"

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Same problem here (Kubuntu 7.10). This makes me use "nano" in console
> > instead "vi".
> >
> Could it be that he use vi instead of vim? I have seen similar problems with
> arrows, backspace, del and other special keys when using vi. On my system
> vi and vim is both a symlink to /usr/bin/vim.basic, but i think that
> when you start
> vim as vi you enter some "legacy" mode. A fast look at the manual for vi and vim
> don't give an answer to that, perhaps someone here on the list know?
> You also got several vim packages to chose from. I think as default vim-tiny is
> installed, you could try install vim-full to see if it make any difference.

On my system vi is a symlink to: /etc/alternatives/vi and vim is a
symlink to: /etc/alternatives/vim

/etc/alternatives/vi and /etc/alternatives/vim are both a symlink to:
/usr/bin/vim.tiny

And you are right!, if I use "vi", I get "strange" codes, but using
"vim" cursor keys works in insert mode! . Thanks for your comment.

P.S: I have installed vim-common and vim-tiny packages.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Adam McGreggor

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 06:07:14PM +0200, Antonio Pérez wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Same problem here (Kubuntu 7.10). This makes me use "nano" in console
> > > instead "vi".
> > >
> > Could it be that he use vi instead of vim? I have seen similar problems with
> > arrows, backspace, del and other special keys when using vi. On my system
> > vi and vim is both a symlink to /usr/bin/vim.basic, but i think that
> > when you start
> > vim as vi you enter some "legacy" mode. A fast look at the manual for vi and vim
> > don't give an answer to that, perhaps someone here on the list know?
> > You also got several vim packages to chose from. I think as default vim-tiny is
> > installed, you could try install vim-full to see if it make any difference.
>
> On my system vi is a symlink to: /etc/alternatives/vi and vim is a
> symlink to: /etc/alternatives/vim
>
> /etc/alternatives/vi and /etc/alternatives/vim are both a symlink to:
> /usr/bin/vim.tiny
>
> And you are right!, if I use "vi", I get "strange" codes, but using
> "vim" cursor keys works in insert mode! . Thanks for your comment.
>
> P.S: I have installed vim-common and vim-tiny packages.

Try it with vim-full...

One of the first things i do on boxes is install vim-full. Can't stand
vim-tiny.