Old 05-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Bill Vance

Default Minitube Problem

Howdy folks;

I got, "Minitube", a few hours ago, and since then I've
been giving mkdir some exercize, while trying to figure
it out.

It's supposed to be a way of watching youtube videos
without a lot of the overhead, or using flash to do it.

When it comes up, it shows some video thumbnails down
the left side of the screen, and they jump around a
little, but thats about all that happensm except for
the error mesage:

Phonon error: "The file or folder www.youtube.com does
not exist." 1

Anyone got a clue?

Bill

Old 05-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Mike McGinn

On Thursday, May 24, 2012 14:34:04 Bill Vance wrote:
> Howdy folks;
>
> I got, "Minitube", a few hours ago, and since then I've
> been giving mkdir some exercize, while trying to figure
> it out.
>
> It's supposed to be a way of watching youtube videos
> without a lot of the overhead, or using flash to do it.
>
> When it comes up, it shows some video thumbnails down
> the left side of the screen, and they jump around a
> little, but thats about all that happensm except for
> the error mesage:
>
> Phonon error: "The file or folder www.youtube.com does
> not exist." 1
>
> Anyone got a clue?
>
> Bill
You don't give any version numbers, but I am running Lucid and found minitube
works well when downloaded from the minitube site. The binary should be fine.

Mike

--
Mike McGinn FACOCM
Ex Uno Plurima

Old 05-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

I've used Minitube for several years with mixed results, i.e. sometimes it works and some versions it doesn't. I think part of the problem is that YouTube makes it's money from ads and with Minitube you don't see any ads.

But, look for updates and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 24/05/12 21:34, Bill Vance wrote:
> Howdy folks;
>
> I got, "Minitube", a few hours ago, and since then I've
> been giving mkdir some exercize, while trying to figure
> it out.
>
> It's supposed to be a way of watching youtube videos
> without a lot of the overhead, or using flash to do it.
>
> When it comes up, it shows some video thumbnails down
> the left side of the screen, and they jump around a
> little, but thats about all that happensm except for
> the error mesage:
>
> Phonon error: "The file or folder www.youtube.com does
> not exist." 1
>
> Anyone got a clue?

if you dont mind command line, there's a package in the repos called
"youtube-dl", it installs a youtube downloader script, which you can use
in konsole as follows:

youtube-dl http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXXXXX

that's right, just pass it the youtube link, and it'll download a webm
or mp4 file (depending on available formats) to the current directory,
which you can watch with vlc or other video player.
if you're interested in different video formats, check the man page, you
can choose the resolution and format of downloaded video.
the package description mentions other video websites supported as well,
though i never tried anything other than youtube (mind you, i use it
maybe once every 2~3 months).

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems