-   -   Cloning, used to be: deleting firefox 10.02 from kpackagekit in k10.10 mm (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/669711-cloning-used-deleting-firefox-10-02-kpackagekit-k10-10-mm.html)

Perry 05-22-2012 04:00 PM

Cloning, used to be: deleting firefox 10.02 from kpackagekit in k10.10 mm

Ray wrote:
[snip]
> >> k10.10 mm, after downloaded and installed it always came back
> >> crashing, so I clonned back to my backup disc k
[snip]
> >> ray
[snip]
Perry wrote:
> > O.T. any tips for cloning back (is it necessary to delete files of
sorry, the "of" should have been an "or"
> > overwriting from
> > the backup is enough ?)
>

> don't understand question
> "O.T. any tips for cloning back (is it necessary to delete files of
> overwriting from
> the backup is enough ?)"
>
> ray
> ps not sure about this marking

Well, I expected some tips on this "cloning".
_Whiping everything clean before using the backup would surely work
but is quite drastic.
_Of c ourse you could leave untouched your personal documents,
photos, and so on ; it's better not to delete and restore them.
_I fear (not sure) that just overwriting with the backup-files may cause problems,
for instance if a new app uses an existing config file.

Perry
--
BOFH excuse #12: dry joints on cable plug

Perry 05-23-2012 05:03 PM

Le mercredi, 23 mai 2012 07.44:34 ray burke a écrit :
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Waleed Hamra <kubuntu-users@whamra.com>
wrote:
[snip]

> when I clone my k10.10mm the whole 80gb sata disc which becomes a
> direct copy, using
> HDClone 4.1, so I dont have to worry about clonning/restoring different
> folders, and if I have a problem with anything like firefox 10.10.2
> crashing all the time when I
> downloaded thru kpackagekit in my k10.10mm, I just clone of my backup
> drive(exact copy of
> before I installed the update and go back to using firefox 9.02, so my
> clonning is exact copy
> of all my disc that holds my k10.10mm(80gb) and backup k10.10mm(80gb,
> clonned 1 week ago)? hope you understand waleed.
>
> ray

Le mercredi, 23 mai 2012 07.07:52 ray burke a écrit :
(concerning the original "thread")
> Perry,
>
> I forgot to mention in my last reply that I have done what was said in
> those links but still have the problem of firefox 10.02 still showing
> firefox10.02 as an update?
Then I'm sorry I cannot help.

Thank you all for enlightening me about cloning.

My question was naive because I never thought Ray would have used a
specialized cloning program, as I never used such a program on Linux, where
installation is so swift and easy (as opposed to M$) and doing fresh install
of new versions gave me some training on how to set my preferences back in the
various apps I use.

Perry

--
BOFH excuse #190: Proprietary Information