Old 04-09-2008, 02:54 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default Q: creating good-quality PDFs from scans?

I am in the process of migrating one of my few remaining activities from
Windows to Kubuntu: scanning and filing documents.

I have never tried to perform this kind of opertaion under Linux before,
and I'm having a problem with the quality of the final stored files.

I got kooka working fine, and the image files that it creates at a 300dpi
scan look really good. BUT I can't figure out how to generate high-quality
PDFs from them.

I have tried printing to the PDF print-to-file printer installed by
Kubuntu, but the quality of the output frankly sucks. Instead of crisp,
clear characters (which is what appears on the image produced by kooka),
it's like I'm looking at a low-quality JPG with artifacts around the
characters.

I've tried messing with all kinds of settings, but nothing seems to make
any difference at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get PDFs that are of a
similar quality to the original images?

Doc

Old 04-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Eric

D. R. Evans wrote:
> I am in the process of migrating one of my few remaining activities from
> Windows to Kubuntu: scanning and filing documents.
>
> I have never tried to perform this kind of opertaion under Linux before,
> and I'm having a problem with the quality of the final stored files.
>
> I got kooka working fine, and the image files that it creates at a 300dpi
> scan look really good. BUT I can't figure out how to generate high-quality
> PDFs from them.
>
> I have tried printing to the PDF print-to-file printer installed by
> Kubuntu, but the quality of the output frankly sucks. Instead of crisp,
> clear characters (which is what appears on the image produced by kooka),
> it's like I'm looking at a low-quality JPG with artifacts around the
> characters.
>
> I've tried messing with all kinds of settings, but nothing seems to make
> any difference at all.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get PDFs that are of a
> similar quality to the original images?
>
> Doc

I've never had that problem. Maybe you might want to look at Xsane if
your can't figure out what is going wrong when you use Kooka.

Eric Jackson

Old 04-09-2008, 03:32 PM
David Fletcher

At 15:54 09/04/2008, you wrote:

>Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get PDFs that are of a
>similar quality to the original images?
>
> Doc

Try gscan2pdf

Dave

Old 04-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Ignazio Palmisano

D. R. Evans wrote:
> I am in the process of migrating one of my few remaining activities from
> Windows to Kubuntu: scanning and filing documents.
>
> I have never tried to perform this kind of opertaion under Linux before,
> and I'm having a problem with the quality of the final stored files.
>
> I got kooka working fine, and the image files that it creates at a 300dpi
> scan look really good. BUT I can't figure out how to generate high-quality
> PDFs from them.
>
> I have tried printing to the PDF print-to-file printer installed by
> Kubuntu, but the quality of the output frankly sucks. Instead of crisp,
> clear characters (which is what appears on the image produced by kooka),
> it's like I'm looking at a low-quality JPG with artifacts around the
> characters.

I've seen similar effects when resizing large images to smaller sizes,
typically when the images are 24 bits and the scaling was "bilinear" -
not sure what the term means, it's basically interpolating and not just
shrinking. I've had better results reducing the number of colors and
playing with gamma correction and that kind of stuff in an image editor,
you may want to try something like that (maybe setting the pdf printer
to black and white is the simplest way to go?)
HTH,
I.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Joel Oliver

Eric wrote:
> D. R. Evans wrote:
>
>> I am in the process of migrating one of my few remaining activities from
>> Windows to Kubuntu: scanning and filing documents.
>>
>> I have never tried to perform this kind of opertaion under Linux before,
>> and I'm having a problem with the quality of the final stored files.
>>
>> I got kooka working fine, and the image files that it creates at a 300dpi
>> scan look really good. BUT I can't figure out how to generate high-quality
>> PDFs from them.
>>
>> I have tried printing to the PDF print-to-file printer installed by
>> Kubuntu, but the quality of the output frankly sucks. Instead of crisp,
>> clear characters (which is what appears on the image produced by kooka),
>> it's like I'm looking at a low-quality JPG with artifacts around the
>> characters.
>>
>> I've tried messing with all kinds of settings, but nothing seems to make
>> any difference at all.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get PDFs that are of a
>> similar quality to the original images?
>>
>> Doc
>>

> I've never had that problem. Maybe you might want to look at Xsane if
> your can't figure out what is going wrong when you use Kooka.
>
> Eric Jackson

I have the perfect solution (I hope).... Look into the gscan2pdf
package. This quickly allows you to scan large amounts of paper right
into high quality pdf's! The unpaper package removes ugly paper borders
and gocr adds character recognition... so a simple:

sudo apt-get install gscan2pdf unpaper xdg-utils gocr sane

should add it in with all options you may need to try it out. Hope it
works for you.
Joel.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Joel Oliver

Here's a link to an excellent writeup on gscan2pdf:

http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html/pdf2html.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.linux-magazine.com%2Fw3%2Fissue%2F85%2FElectronic_Docume nt_Archives_with_Gscan2pdf.pdf&images=yes

Old 04-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Joel Oliver

Joel Oliver wrote:
> Eric wrote:
>
>> D. R. Evans wrote:
>>

>>> I am in the process of migrating one of my few remaining activities from
>>> Windows to Kubuntu: scanning and filing documents.
>>>
>>> I have never tried to perform this kind of opertaion under Linux before,
>>> and I'm having a problem with the quality of the final stored files.
>>>
>>> I got kooka working fine, and the image files that it creates at a 300dpi
>>> scan look really good. BUT I can't figure out how to generate high-quality
>>> PDFs from them.
>>>
>>> I have tried printing to the PDF print-to-file printer installed by
>>> Kubuntu, but the quality of the output frankly sucks. Instead of crisp,
>>> clear characters (which is what appears on the image produced by kooka),
>>> it's like I'm looking at a low-quality JPG with artifacts around the
>>> characters.
>>>
>>> I've tried messing with all kinds of settings, but nothing seems to make
>>> any difference at all.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get PDFs that are of a
>>> similar quality to the original images?
>>>
>>> Doc
>>>

>> I've never had that problem. Maybe you might want to look at Xsane if
>> your can't figure out what is going wrong when you use Kooka.
>>
>> Eric Jackson
>>

> I have the perfect solution (I hope).... Look into the gscan2pdf
> package. This quickly allows you to scan large amounts of paper right
> into high quality pdf's! The unpaper package removes ugly paper borders
> and gocr adds character recognition... so a simple:
>
> sudo apt-get install gscan2pdf unpaper xdg-utils gocr sane
>
> should add it in with all options you may need to try it out. Hope it
> works for you.
> Joel.

Link to a good article on gscan2pdf:

Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 PM
"D. R. Evans"

I've installed gscan2pdf, and when I try to use it I get the remarkably
unhelpful:
Unknown message: scanimage: attempted to set inactive option threshold

Googling around, I can't even find out what the message means, never mind
how to fix it. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong?

As I mentioned before, kooka works fine, at least insofar as obtaining an
image from the scanner is concerned.

Doc

Old 04-17-2008, 08:38 PM
cherryfinals

Why not scan with kooka, create your documents in Open Office and
'Export as PDF' from the menu?

Stan

Old 04-17-2008, 08:58 PM
"D. R. Evans"

D. R. Evans said the following at 04/17/2008 02:30 PM :
> I've installed gscan2pdf, and when I try to use it I get the remarkably
> unhelpful:
> Unknown message: scanimage: attempted to set inactive option threshold
>
> Googling around, I can't even find out what the message means, never mind
> how to fix it. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong?

It seems like gscan2pdf doesn't notice if the scanner is turned on after
the program is running; it appears (from experiment) that it has to be
turned on BEFORE starting gscan2pdf.

If I do that, then gscan2pdf seems to work very well. So thanks very much
to those who pointed it out.

Doc