Old 05-19-2012, 11:53 AM
cherryfinals

Default Nepomonk freezing browser

I did my usual hard drive replacement and virgin install of Kubuntu from a CD shortly after it was released. Since then, I've been mostly happy with it.
The one problem that has bugged me is the fact that Nepomuk spends a lot of time indexing and when it does, I can see the CPU usage on my four-core AMD running at 60% to 100% and when I try to browse to a new page in Firefox, it sometimes take ten minutes or more.

If I pause indexing, everything appears to work properly.

I have seen a bunch of discussions on Nepomuk over the last year or so, but haven't seen an explanation as to what the heck it is supposed to do for us and if it is a critical item, why
hasn't it been fixed in all this time?
I don't mind pausing it once in a while, but hesitate to go through all the BS involved in totally killing it off my system.

Explanations, please?
*Stan
Reality is the illusion!
http://postorbitaldesign.net/
http://ecfield.deviantart.com/
http://mentilucent.net/

Old 05-19-2012, 12:09 PM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

You can simply switch off Desktop Search in System Settings and the CPU
will quiet down. But what I did was to increase allowed memory usage
(advanced tab in Desktop Search settings) to 350 Mb and since then my
problems have been very few.

Sinclair