Old 05-17-2012, 05:17 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default k9copy: unable to open /dev/sr0

After installing precise, k9copy tells me that it cannot open /dev/sr0.

I've tried everything I can think of to resolve this problem, but it's time to
ask for help here.

permissions on /dev/sr0 are:
rw for root
rw for group cdrom

the user is a member of group cdrom

I get the same error even if I run k9copy as root (not a good idea, I know).

Everything else I've tried works:

I can mount the DVD as (for example) /media/dvd.
I can play the DVD with (for example) Kaffeine

So what do I need to do to have k9copy be able to access the disc?

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 05-18-2012, 02:32 AM
Basil Chupin

After installing precise, k9copy tells me that it cannot open /dev/sr0.

What exactly do you mean by this?

What happens when - without k9copy running! - you insert a DVD into the
drive - does the menu come up (bottom right) "asking" you what you want
to do with the DVD and is the option to use k9copy there?

(Have you checked the Settings in k9copy? One of the settings which
defaults to "Unknown" is the one to do with language of the film and the
sub-titles. Untick "Unknown" and tick English (eg) in both.

BTW, the part dealing with Devices seems to always show nothing - but
k9copy still works so don't panic about this setting :-) .)
I've tried everything I can think of to resolve this problem, but
it's time to ask for help here. permissions on /dev/sr0 are: rw for root
rw for group cdrom the user is a member of group cdrom I get the same
error even if I run k9copy as root (not a good idea, I know). Everything
else I've tried works: I can mount the DVD as (for example) /media/dvd.
I can play the DVD with (for example) Kaffeine So what do I need to do
to have k9copy be able to access the disc? Doc

--
Using openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 KDE on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

Old 05-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Basil Chupin

After installing precise, k9copy tells me that it cannot open /dev/sr0.

Eh, sorry about the previous reply. I hit the wrong button and sent the
message instead of editing the mess created after I deleted some bits
:-( . Apologies.

[............]

BC

Old 05-18-2012, 04:30 AM
"D. R. Evans"

Basil Chupin said the following at 05/17/2012 08:32 PM :
> On 18/05/12 03:17, D. R. Evans wrote:
>> After installing precise, k9copy tells me that it cannot open /dev/sr0.
>
> What exactly do you mean by this?

When I run k9copy and say "Open", it responds with "cannot open disc /dev/sr0".

> What happens when - without k9copy running! - you insert a DVD into the
> drive - does the menu come up (bottom right) "asking" you what you want
> to do with the DVD and is the option to use k9copy there?

Yes.

> (Have you checked the Settings in k9copy? One of the settings which
> defaults to "Unknown" is the one to do with language of the film and the
> sub-titles. Untick "Unknown" and tick English (eg) in both.

English is ticked... but like I say, k9copy never even gets to the disc since
it can't open it.

> BTW, the part dealing with Devices seems to always show nothing - but
> k9copy still works so don't panic about this setting :-) .)

The part dealing with Devices is there to ADD devices. k9copy knows about
/dev/sr0 so it definitely doesn't need adding

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 05-18-2012, 04:57 AM