Old 05-24-2012, 02:30 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default k9copy: unable to open /dev/sr0

Basil Chupin said the following at 05/23/2012 11:49 PM :

> I am out of ideas.....

Me too... except to switch to a different distribution, which is what I think
I'm going to do. This issue, combined with the issue I posted in e-mail
<4FBA5EC8.7030302@gmail.com>, are simply too much. I need my main desktop
system to be more reliable than this :-(

> But a friend in the Ubuntu list mentions that this sort of problem was
> mentioned a while back and had to do with permissions; that by doing
> something one overcame this hassle. He also asked if udev was still
> being used.

I don't know anything about udev.

> Have you tried doing a search in Launchpad of the Community
> Documentation, as a start, re this problem?

I did a pretty detailed search of everything I could find before posting here.

I too initially thought it must be a permissions problem... but the fact that
even root gets the same error seems to point to it not having to do with
permissions. Also (of course) I checked permissions of everything I thought
might be relevant, and everything looked OK.

And also there's the niggling fact that other programs than k9copy seem not to
have a problem accessing the drive.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 05-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday, May 24, 2012 08:30:36 AM D. R. Evans wrote:
> And also there's the niggling fact that other programs than k9copy seem not
> to have a problem accessing the drive.

k3b won't do what you want??

Old 05-25-2012, 03:16 AM
Basil Chupin

Me too... except to switch to a different distribution, which is what I think
I'm going to do. This issue, combined with the issue I posted in e-mail
<4FBA5EC8.7030302@gmail.com>, are simply too much. I need my main desktop
system to be more reliable than this :-(

If you are thinking this way then look at the signature line below.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 KDE 4.8.3 and kernel 3.3.6 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor