Old 05-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

Default 12.04 is the worst yet - NOT!

Is 12.04 the worst? Hardly!

I had a few problems installing on my 6 year old Gateway laptop, and one older desktop's video card just wasn't supported, but I got past this with a little help from my kind friends here and on other forums. I know none of my antiques would run the current Microsoft offering at all. All my computers are 4 to 6 years old and it's sort of a hobby to keep them going with the latest Kubuntu. Until my duct tape and bailing wire runs out, anyway.

Once installed there have been no serious issues and I'm generally pleased. There are few changes and no surprises from 11.10. Just same old, same old.

Mind you I don't use pop mail or Kmail. All of my mail is IMAP gmail, which I set up to poll my hotmail and aim accounts. It is accessible everywhere, which is great, and they store almost a GB of my archived mail, free. They even do backups, which I neglect because, frankly, nothing else I have is of much importance to me, except my photos, which Eye-Fi stores for a modest fee. Yahoo mail is just for accessing groups and forums like this one.

It's the 5 year support that I'm most enthused about. I need something that works, and 12.04 fills the bill.

Thank you Kubuntu developers! Good job, well done

Sent from my XOOM Android Tablet