Old 05-15-2012, 12:02 AM
Bruce Marshall

Default 12.04 is the worst yet

I finally got 12.04 installed after spending several DAYS on each of beta 1
and beta 2. (mostly ubiquity problems along with aptitude which I have
decided is a piece of &*&^%$)

But 12.04, once installed has been an ugly experience.

Kmail crashes about 12 times a day (about every half hour in use)

Flash items tend to remain on the screen... in the middle of other items on
the screen. (really disconcerting)

Many other problems but I haven't been paying that much attention since kmail
is the biggie.

Just the fact that it took me two months to get a good install is enough to
question the future of kubuntu. I've always done the same things: install
the beta and then keep it up to date to get to the final release. Didn't
happen this time.... may not try it in the future.

Time to look elsewhere.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:48 AM
Basil Chupin

I finally got 12.04 installed after spending several DAYS on each of beta 1
and beta 2. (mostly ubiquity problems along with aptitude which I have
decided is a piece of&*&^%$)

But 12.04, once installed has been an ugly experience.

Kmail crashes about 12 times a day (about every half hour in use)

"If it hurts, why do it?" :-) .

Kmail has had a problem for quite some time now from what I have been
reading. Why not switch to Thunderbird?

Flash items tend to remain on the screen... in the middle of other items on
the screen. (really disconcerting)

Ah, you too! The latest Flash, right?

The way I got rid of that is to deselect Use Hardware Acceleration in
its settings. Also gets rid of the blue colour in videos.

Many other problems but I haven't been paying that much attention since kmail
is the biggie.

Just the fact that it took me two months to get a good install is enough to
question the future of kubuntu. I've always done the same things: install
the beta and then keep it up to date to get to the final release. Didn't
happen this time.... may not try it in the future.

Time to look elsewhere.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 KDE on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

Old 05-15-2012, 01:25 AM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:13:21 AM Richard Terry wrote:
> > Just the fact that it took me two months to get a good install is enough
> > to question the future of kubuntu. I've always done the same
> > things: install the beta and then keep it up to date to get to the final
> > release. Didn't happen this time.... may not try it in the future.
> >
> > Time to look elsewhere.
> >

> Sorry you've had that experience.
>
> I stayed away from kmail, have installed 12 on several machines, as have
> my mates and all smooth sailing.
>
> Personally, most impressed.
>
> Converted my older installation on my laptop (9) from kmail to
> thunderbird and find though it seems to lack some of the things I use in
> kmail (drag n drop into the composer) that overall its is a pleasant
> experience.
>
> Regards
>
> Richard

Well I'm not usually one to pitch a B**ch but I have been using Kubuntu since
6.04 and usually have the clear sailing experience, but this one had me
thinking that maybe I never would get it installed.

But I guess I have to admit that the problems have been creeping in for the
last two releases. I used to run XFCE with kmail just to keep away from the
KDE growth problems but 11.10 forced me to go back to KDE. Not necessarily
happy with that.

And all the akonadi, virtuso, strigi, nepomuk crap makes me wonder when it is
all going to come crashing down!!

Oh well, that's the good thing about linux... there are always choices.....

(no newbie here: 50 years of computing and counting so this is hopefully
coming from an experienced position)

Thanks for your comments, Rich

Old 05-15-2012, 04:10 AM
Nils Kassube

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 15/05/12 10:02, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > I finally got 12.04 installed after spending several DAYS on each
> > of beta 1 and beta 2. (mostly ubiquity problems along with
> > aptitude which I have decided is a piece of&*&^%$)
> >
> > But 12.04, once installed has been an ugly experience.
> >
> > Kmail crashes about 12 times a day (about every half hour in use)
>
> "If it hurts, why do it?" :-) .
>
> Kmail has had a problem for quite some time now from what I have been
> reading. Why not switch to Thunderbird?

Because Thunderbird hurts even more (IMHO). I had a brief look at
Thunderbird recently, and to me it looks worse than it did the last time
I tried it (some years ago). Unfortunately there is no way to keep the
good old kmail instead of the newfangled kmail2, at least until kmail2
is usable. Therefore I suppose I'll not upgrade my desktop and stay
with 10.04 for now.

OTOH, I can't complain about the rest of 12.04 - no real problems so far
on the other machines where I have it installed already.

Nils

Old 05-15-2012, 05:14 AM
Basil Chupin

I finally got 12.04 installed after spending several DAYS on each
of beta 1 and beta 2. (mostly ubiquity problems along with
aptitude which I have decided is a piece of&*&^%$)

But 12.04, once installed has been an ugly experience.

Kmail crashes about 12 times a day (about every half hour in use)

"If it hurts, why do it?" :-) .

Kmail has had a problem for quite some time now from what I have been
reading. Why not switch to Thunderbird?

Because Thunderbird hurts even more (IMHO). I had a brief look at
Thunderbird recently, and to me it looks worse than it did the last time
I tried it (some years ago).

Which, of course, requires two questions to be asked:

1. Which version of Thunderbird; and

2. Why did it "[look] worse than it did the last time" during your
cursory/fleeting look at it?

[..........]

BC

Old 05-15-2012, 05:31 AM
Nils Kassube

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 15/05/12 14:10, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Basil Chupin wrote:

> >> "If it hurts, why do it?" :-) .
> >>
> >> Kmail has had a problem for quite some time now from what I have
> >> been reading. Why not switch to Thunderbird?
> >
> > Because Thunderbird hurts even more (IMHO). I had a brief look at
> > Thunderbird recently, and to me it looks worse than it did the last
> > time I tried it (some years ago).
>
> Which, of course, requires two questions to be asked:
>
> 1. Which version of Thunderbird; and

The version coming with 12.04.

> 2. Why did it "[look] worse than it did the last time" during your
> cursory/fleeting look at it?

I don't remember now, but I'll try it again and then I'll answer that
question.

Nils

Old 05-15-2012, 05:42 AM
Basil Chupin

I finally got 12.04 installed after spending several DAYS on each
of beta 1 and beta 2. (mostly ubiquity problems along with
aptitude which I have decided is a piece of&*&^%$)

But 12.04, once installed has been an ugly experience.

Kmail crashes about 12 times a day (about every half hour in use)

"If it hurts, why do it?" :-) .

Kmail has had a problem for quite some time now from what I have
been reading. Why not switch to Thunderbird?

Because Thunderbird hurts even more (IMHO). I had a brief look at
Thunderbird recently, and to me it looks worse than it did the last
time I tried it (some years ago).

Which, of course, requires two questions to be asked:

1. Which version of Thunderbird; and

The version coming with 12.04.

Which is....?

2. Why did it "[look] worse than it did the last time" during your
cursory/fleeting look at it?
I don't remember now, but I'll try it again and then I'll answer that
question.

That would be great. Not only would it give me some idea of what may
have grieved you but others as well who may be thinking of switching to
something which actually works.

BC

Old 05-15-2012, 05:52 AM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Tue, 15 May 2012 03:42:40 PM Basil Chupin wrote:
> That would be great. Not only would it give me some idea of what may
> have grieved you but others as well who may be thinking of switching to
> something which actually works.

Thunderbird works just fine with GMail and a Commerical IMAP server (MDaemon)
for me on 12.04 and that's with very large (10,000+) mailboxes. The
Thunderbird version is 12.01

I also have KMail2 working pretty well with same.

Caveats:
- All my filters are server side. Nothing client side at all - as it should be
with IMAP.

- I do my folder management though the GMail interface rather than KMail or
Thunderbird.

- I don't use the kmail email search at all.

For me, GMail contacts and calendar now work better through KMail2 than they
do through Thunderbird/Lightening.

--
Lindsay--

Old 05-15-2012, 05:57 AM
girardhenri

[...]

I do use kubuntu only for system settings (qtcurve theme with fakeosx
gnome3, as I found gnome3 themes not very nice, mainly too dark), but
12.04 was better on first beta than final in my opinion, because I often
have messages that utuntu 12.04 has crashed or an application has
crashed... It sounds buggy ! synaptic doesn't work any more after a
while (i guess after updating)... Well as a final it doesn't seems
stable as usually it is with other versions... I already reinstalled
twice and always the same.
I use firefox and thunderbird as mail client because it does manage my
mail boxes perfectly.

regards,
Henri

Old 05-15-2012, 06:20 AM
Basil Chupin

That would be great. Not only would it give me some idea of what may
have grieved you but others as well who may be thinking of switching to
something which actually works.

Thunderbird works just fine with GMail and a Commerical IMAP server (MDaemon)
for me on 12.04 and that's with very large (10,000+) mailboxes. The
Thunderbird version is 12.01

I also have KMail2 working pretty well with same.

Caveats:
- All my filters are server side. Nothing client side at all - as it should be
with IMAP.

- I do my folder management though the GMail interface rather than KMail or
Thunderbird.

- I don't use the kmail email search at all.

For me, GMail contacts and calendar now work better through KMail2 than they
do through Thunderbird/Lightening.

Good to hear, but you weren't worried about the change in Google's
privacy rules?

To quote from a post I received at the time:

/quote

HOW TO: DELETE YOUR GOOGLE HISTORY
Google has been warning us for weeks. On March 1st, all of their
associated services (YouTube, Gmail, Calendar) will start sharing
information and treating you as a single user. If you want Google to
hold a little less information about you and where you have visited
online, we suggest that you click HERE.

/unquote

BC