Old 05-17-2012, 12:36 PM
"Marcelo Magno T. Sales"

Default 12.04 is the worst yet

2012/5/17 Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au>:
> On 16/05/12 21:15, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
>>
>> 2012/5/16 Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au>:
>

> [.............]

I've pointed you to Ubuntu's documentation and to information provided
by Thunderbird's developers themselves on this matter so you don't
have to rely solely on my personal opinion, but you chose to ignore
all of that and just repeat what you had already said, as if we are
blind or dumb. Worst, you accuse people you don't know of deliberately
misleading others with false information, but offers no evidence or
apologies.
There's obviously no point in continuing to argue with you.
Anyone who wants deeper info on this subject already knows what to
look for and I have no interest in convincing anybody to use this or
that e-mail client, so I'll not continue this discussion.

[]'s
Marcelo

Old 05-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 05/17/2012 08:12 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 16/05/12 21:15, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
>> 2012/5/16 Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au>:
>
>[snip]

similar experience here. my current thunderbird directory is 5 years
old. i have been moving it through upgrades and fresh installs, and it
never ever got corrupted. akonadi's IMAP engine on the other hand, fails
to load at least once ever 4 power outages or so (i'm afraid that can't
be controlled, bad power system here). now these are mostly repairable
by checking one or 2 corrupt files, unrelated to the main mail storage,
but it's a hassle nevertheless, a hassle i dont have with thunderbird.
i'm always on the cutting edge with thunderbird, i have the mercurial
aurora repository updated every month, from which i compile thunderbird.
aurora is what gives you "alpha 2" channel. and i can see i have always
been happy with the state of TB.
sure mailboxes, maildirs, whatever else can have a large impact. i am
all for maildirs, and that's what i use on my mail server, but TB's
mboxes never caused me trouble. never got corrupted. the max that does
get corrupted after a power outage are the files with sqlite extension,
and those are safe to delete.
and for all what's it worth, mail is too important to be careless with,
my mail server keeps everything stored, accessible through IMAP from any
client wherever i am. thunderbird on my main machine has a copy. my
backup bag has a section for mail backups. once you have upwards of 45K
emails...

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems