FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Basil Chupin
 
Default 12.04 is the worst yet

On 15/05/12 10:02, Bruce Marshall wrote:

I finally got 12.04 installed after spending several DAYS on each of beta 1
and beta 2. (mostly ubiquity problems along with aptitude which I have
decided is a piece of&*&^%$)

But 12.04, once installed has been an ugly experience.

Kmail crashes about 12 times a day (about every half hour in use)


A follow-up to what I posted earlier.

I just heard from a person who is running openSUSE v12.2 Milestone #4
(final release in a couple of months) that "..kmail works great."


So, wait for it....a new working version is coming "real soon now" :-) .

[..........]

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 KDE on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor
16GB PC14900/1866MHz Quad Channel Corsair "Vengeance" RAM
Gigabyte AMD3+ m/board; Gigabyte nVidia GTX550Ti 1GB DDR5 GPU


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 AM
Pieter Hulshoff
 
Default 12.04 is the worst yet

I must admit that I too have been having some problems since 11.10: programs
simply stop responding for 10-30 seconds
12.04 has reduced that behaviour a little, but applications like kmail and
firefox crash quite regularly. All in all, 12.04 seems to be a small
improvement, but I do hope the stability improves rapidly.

Kind regards,

Pieter Hulshoff


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Thomas Tanghus
 
Default 12.04 is the worst yet

On Tuesday 15 May 2012 09:43 Pieter Hulshoff wrote:
> I must admit that I too have been having some problems since 11.10: programs
> simply stop responding for 10-30 seconds
> 12.04 has reduced that behaviour a little, but applications like kmail and
> firefox crash quite regularly. All in all, 12.04 seems to be a small
> improvement, but I do hope the stability improves rapidly.

All in all KMail works good for me with KDE SC 4.8.3 and KMail 4.8.2. This is
on Kubuntu 11.10 - don't upgrade until the first dot release ;-) - but I'm
guessing it is the same versions on 12.04?

KMail has 3 grievances for me. After priority:

1) https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=286307
2) The Akonadi IMAP resource often has to be restarted after a disconnect, and
every 2-4 days I have to restart the Akonadi server.
3) The long-winded autocomplete-only-works-for-recent addresses bug. It seems
like that won't be fixed until 4.9...

Besides that I have a smooth running PIM suite and I would never choose
another solution.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 AM
"O. Sinclair"
 
Default 12.04 is the worst yet

On 15/05/12 02:02, Bruce Marshall wrote:

I finally got 12.04 installed after spending several DAYS on each of beta 1
and beta 2. (mostly ubiquity problems along with aptitude which I have
decided is a piece of&*&^%$)

But 12.04, once installed has been an ugly experience.

Kmail crashes about 12 times a day (about every half hour in use)

Flash items tend to remain on the screen... in the middle of other items on
the screen. (really disconcerting)

Many other problems but I haven't been paying that much attention since kmail
is the biggie.

Just the fact that it took me two months to get a good install is enough to
question the future of kubuntu. I've always done the same things: install
the beta and then keep it up to date to get to the final release. Didn't
happen this time.... may not try it in the future.

I differ with you - for once I did an upgrade instead of "clean install
+ reinstall of x applications" and almost everything works better than
my 11.10 w KDE 4.7.4 install did.


For my KMail is much more stable though I hate not having
"autocompletion of email address" and distribution lists working. Have
saved my lists as templates to get around that one.


Some filters behave a bit weird, the spam filter refuses to set mails as
read after moving them to spam folder (my addition to the standard
filter) and I get notified of "new mail" even when it is my own sent
mails that are the "new" ones.


And some odd behaviour in webkit (Rekonq) but those will be sorted.
Until then I use Firefox and have no problems with that.


Note: I only use pop mail accounts, no Imap. And I weed out old email
regularly so do not have "massive" mail folders.


Kindly,
Sinclair

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default 12.04 is the worst yet

On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 07:57:26 AM girardhenri wrote:
> I do use kubuntu only for system settings (qtcurve theme with fakeosx
> gnome3, as I found gnome3 themes not very nice, mainly too dark), but
> 12.04 was better on first beta than final in my opinion, because I often
> have messages that utuntu 12.04 has crashed or an application has
> crashed... It sounds buggy ! synaptic doesn't work any more after a
> while (i guess after updating)... Well as a final it doesn't seems
> stable as usually it is with other versions... I already reinstalled
> twice and always the same.
> I use firefox and thunderbird as mail client because it does manage my
> mail boxes perfectly.
> regards,
> Henri

Synaptic seems to work fine for me and in fact got me out of the 'hole' I was
in trying to install 12.04.

When I was using aptitude to do installing, it would sometimes want to delete
about 500 packages in order to install one. Twice it uninstalled my kernel
and I had to do a rescue. I've given up on aptitude and now use synaptic for
everything.



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default 12.04 is the worst yet

On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:20:49 AM O. Sinclair wrote:
> For my KMail is much more stable though I hate not having
> "autocompletion of email address" and distribution lists working. Have
> saved my lists as templates to get around that one.
>

Kmail2 was pretty stable when I first installed 12.04 but since then there may
have been an update that makes it crash a lot.



> Some filters behave a bit weird, the spam filter refuses to set mails as
> read after moving them to spam folder (my addition to the standard
> filter) and I get notified of "new mail" even when it is my own sent
> mails that are the "new" ones.
>

Weird isn't the word for it. Sometimes when kmail2 starts up, the filters
will be working fine but most time they don't work at all. It varies back and
forth from working to not working. That's strange behavior!


> And some odd behaviour in webkit (Rekonq) but those will be sorted.
> Until then I use Firefox and have no problems with that.
>
> Note: I only use pop mail accounts, no Imap. And I weed out old email
> regularly so do not have "massive" mail folders.

Same here....


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-15-2012, 03:07 PM
girardhenri
 
Default 12.04 is the worst yet

Le 15/05/2012 12:36, Bruce Marshall a écrit :

On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 07:57:26 AM girardhenri wrote:

I do use kubuntu only for system settings (qtcurve theme with fakeosx
gnome3, as I found gnome3 themes not very nice, mainly too dark), but
12.04 was better on first beta than final in my opinion, because I often
have messages that utuntu 12.04 has crashed or an application has
crashed... It sounds buggy ! synaptic doesn't work any more after a
while (i guess after updating)... Well as a final it doesn't seems
stable as usually it is with other versions... I already reinstalled
twice and always the same.
I use firefox and thunderbird as mail client because it does manage my
mail boxes perfectly.
regards,
Henri

Synaptic seems to work fine for me and in fact got me out of the 'hole' I was
in trying to install 12.04.

When I was using aptitude to do installing, it would sometimes want to delete
about 500 packages in order to install one. Twice it uninstalled my kernel
and I had to do a rescue. I've given up on aptitude and now use synaptic for
everything.



I found out the problem : In synaptic icon command they wrote
synaptic-pkgexec, so I deleted it and i wrote gksudo synaptic and
everything works now !
I have problem with sudo too I don't know why sometimes it's deleted by
ubuntu ?

I must chmod 755 to get it back...
I didn't have this problems with former versions.
Aptitude is very dangerous ! Sometimes it took me away kde... and gnome3
? I don't know why. Pity because it is an excellent tool.

But I fear it's not good to use apt and aptitude ?


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default 12.04 is the worst yet

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 15/05/12 15:31, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Basil Chupin wrote:
> >> On 15/05/12 14:10, Nils Kassube wrote:
> >>> Because Thunderbird hurts even more (IMHO). I had a brief look at
> >>> Thunderbird recently, and to me it looks worse than it did the
> >>> last time I tried it (some years ago).
> >>
> >> Which, of course, requires two questions to be asked:
> >>
> >> 1. Which version of Thunderbird; and
> >
> > The version coming with 12.04.
>
> Which is....?

Well, you are the TB expert here and therefore you should know that
Kubuntu installs the current version. But I checked it, it is 12.0.1.

> > 2. Why did it "[look] worse than it did the last time" during your
> > cursory/fleeting look at it?
> > I don't remember now, but I'll try it again and then I'll answer
> > that question.
>
> That would be great. Not only would it give me some idea of what may
> have grieved you but others as well who may be thinking of switching
> to something which actually works.

1. The configuration page offers a start page URL? I thought TB is an
email clinet, not a browser.

2. The configuration page offers add-ons - again it looks too much like
a browser to me. One of the add-ons is adblock plus - what does that
have to do with email?

3. There is an option to accept cookies? Again, what does that have to
do with an email client?

Granted, those three points are not too important but at least it looks
unappealing to me.

4. I want to import mails from kmail. Well, I know that TB doesn't
understand maildir, so I copied some mails to a new mbox folder before I
started TB. But how can I import those mails? While there is an import
option, it doesn't seem to do anything - at least I couldn't convince it
to give me a file dialog to search for the mbox file with the mails I
have saved.

Of course it isn't useful to continue testing at this point. I have a
lot of saved mails that I don't want to throw away. So obviously TB is
not usable for me.


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Ryan Gauger
 
Default 12.04 is the worst yet

Could you please explain why Thunderbird hurts? I (or somebody else on this ml) may be able to help you out. For me, it works better than Kmail because Thunderbird automatically sets up your email account, but I don't think Kmail does. Thanks!

In Christ,
Ryan

On May 14, 2012, at 11:10 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

> Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 15/05/12 10:02, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>>> I finally got 12.04 installed after spending several DAYS on each
>>> of beta 1 and beta 2. (mostly ubiquity problems along with
>>> aptitude which I have decided is a piece of&*&^%$)
>>>
>>> But 12.04, once installed has been an ugly experience.
>>>
>>> Kmail crashes about 12 times a day (about every half hour in use)
>>
>> "If it hurts, why do it?" :-) .
>>
>> Kmail has had a problem for quite some time now from what I have been
>> reading. Why not switch to Thunderbird?
>
> Because Thunderbird hurts even more (IMHO). I had a brief look at
> Thunderbird recently, and to me it looks worse than it did the last time
> I tried it (some years ago). Unfortunately there is no way to keep the
> good old kmail instead of the newfangled kmail2, at least until kmail2
> is usable. Therefore I suppose I'll not upgrade my desktop and stay
> with 10.04 for now.
>
> OTOH, I can't complain about the rest of 12.04 - no real problems so far
> on the other machines where I have it installed already.
>
>
> Nils
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 05-16-2012, 01:45 AM
"Marcelo Magno T. Sales"
 
Default 12.04 is the worst yet

Em terça-feira 15 maio 2012, Ryan Gauger escreveu:
> Could you please explain why Thunderbird hurts? I (or somebody else
> on this ml) may be able to help you out. For me, it works better
> than Kmail because Thunderbird automatically sets up your email
> account, but I don't think Kmail does. Thanks!
>

The main issue that prevents me from migrating to Thunderbird is that
its local storage is mbox and this format is very prone to corruption
and other problems when you have too many e-mails stored or when you
receive and delete many e-mails very often. I do both and I don't like
the idea of having all my e-mail history in the hands of some cloud
provider. I want a local copy of my e-mail archive. People who doesn't
mind that can use IMAP and in this case there is no storage problem.
KMail uses mdir (one file per message) and I've never lost an e-mail
with it. This format also makes it easier to access any message without
running KMail if you need to (searching a backup, for example), not
mentioning that several processes can easily access the mail storage at
the same time without any problem at all.
This is the main problem, but there are many other features of KMail
that do not exist in Thunderbird. KMail has quick shortcuts for anything
you can imagine and you can customize them if you like. For example, I
subscribe to many distribution lists and I can't possibly read all the
e-mail I get from all of them, so I use the "delete thread" shortcut
very often. If a thread does not interest me, I just CTRL+DEL it at
once. Thunderbird has no shortcut for this nor it allows me to create
one. It's painful to open the menu and click the delete thread command
for every thread I want to delete, it's too time consuming. There are
many, many other cases in which the lack of shortcuts or the
impossibility to customize them get in the way.
In Thunderbird, you must have a trash folder for each of your mailboxes.
I have eight of them and surely do not want to remember which trash do I
need to search if I want do recover a deleted message. I KMail you can
have individual trashes if you like, but you can setup only one trash if
you want.
In KMail, you can configure a folder to store messages of a given
distribution list. You filter the messages from this list to that folder
and KMail scans the headers of the messages and automatically detects
the commands supported by the list server. So it adds these commands to
the right-click menu of the folder. When you right click the folder, you
get commands like "New message to distribution list", "cancel
subscription", and so on.
You can also define templates and the identity that should be used by
default when you start a new message when any given folder is selected.
You can define which dictionary should be used by default when you
select a given identity as the sender for a message. For me, who write
e-mails in three different languages, it's a nice feature.
You can configure a list of words that you normally use in the body of
an e-mail when you send attachments (like attached, attachment, etc.),
so KMail reminds you to attach the file if you use one of these words
and click send without attaching any file.

I can go on and on for a long time listing a huge number of features
that exist in KMail but not in Thunderbird, but you get the idea. They
are mostly simple features and any one of them isn't a big deal by
itself, but when you use a lot of them and remember you will lose them
all if you migrate, then you will think twice before you do the change.

I was tempted to migrate to other e-mail client many times since when
the KMail version from KDE 3.5.x was deprecated, because KMail is really
buggy in its current stage. However, nevertheless I think it is still
more advantageous to me to keep using it buggy as it is than to migrate
for other e-mail client.

[]'s
Marcelo

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:44 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org