Old 04-09-2008, 05:55 AM
"Hong, ManBok"

Default Questions about dolphin in KDE3 version of Hardy

Hi kubuntu users~

I now use the dolphin file manager of KDE3 in Hardy.
Even though I hardly ever find troubles using it, there's one thing that
I feel uncomfortable.
I usually enjoy seeing files with the detailed view option. However, in
that view mode, I can't adjust the field length of each item.
For instance, if the file name is tooooo long, since the length of the
name field is fixed, the full file name cannot be viewed in the detailed
view mode of dolphin.
When I installed KDE4, I found the size of the name field can be
adjusted in the dolphin of KDE4.
Is there any option that enables to adjust the size of name field in the
detailed view of dolphin in KDE3?

I appreciate your answers in advance...

regards

Old 04-09-2008, 07:02 AM
"Andrew Jarrett"

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Hong, ManBok <deathymn@gmail.com> wrote:
> I usually enjoy seeing files with the detailed view option. However, in
> that view mode, I can't adjust the field length of each item.
> For instance, if the file name is tooooo long, since the length of the
> name field is fixed, the full file name cannot be viewed in the detailed
> view mode of dolphin.

Wow, that's definitely annoying. You could try removing a field from
the view (like the "Date" field) by going to Settings->Configure
Dolphin->View Modes->Detailed and unchecking a field. That's not
exactly what you want, though. Maybe there is a configuration file
for Dolphin somewhere that can help?
~/.kde/share/apps/d3lphin/d3lphinui.rc doesn't seem to help.
~/.kde/share/config/d3lphinrc has some settings for detail mode, but I
don't see any options for width specifications. I also can't find any
global configuration files for d3lphin in /etc. Certainly those
widths weren't hard-coded in the program?

> When I installed KDE4, I found the size of the name field can be
> adjusted in the dolphin of KDE4.
> Is there any option that enables to adjust the size of name field in the
> detailed view of dolphin in KDE3?

The file manager in KDE3 is called "D3lphin" and is not really the
exact same program as the one in KDE4 ("Dolphin").

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Old 04-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Ulrich Grn

Hi all,

since I have Kubuntu (7.10) on my desktop, I use Dolphin. I cannot say that I
have that many objections against Dolphin, and I think it's quite useful even
in this early stage.
One feature I know (and love) from Konqueror, is the file information I get
when I go with the mouse pointer above the file name (when that file is an
MP3, I get bitrate and other information; when it's a picture, I get a
preview image and information; and so on). I really Miss this in Dolphin and
I really hope to see this to appear there (does anybody know how this is in
KDE4?).
But since the version of Dolphin is in beta stage, there is hope for
improvements.
--
Greetings,
Ulrich.