Old 05-12-2012, 05:13 AM
Knapp

Default Detecting malicious websites

You said it was your site but your machine was not infected? How did
you get hacked? Was this your local machine or do you use a host? How
where they hacked and what are you going to do about that!!

Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer:
http://douglas.bespin.org/tcm/ztab1.htm

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Basil Chupin

�

While I cannot say what is available to detect malicious sites
using Chrome but if you were using Firefox then you would find
Add-ons (Extensions) which do give you protection against
malicious sites and this besides the setting in FF Preferences, in
the Security part, which will advise you when you hit a malicious
site.

BC

Well, your mother's work place got what it deserved and deserves.

But you haven't fully answered my questions: is this site(s) YOUR sites
- ie you actually created them? And if it/they is/are yours then what
are doing about protecting it/them and getting rid of the malware on
it/them?

BTW, you do know about this site: http://validator.w3.org/ where you
type in the URL of any site and validator shows you all the errors and
where they are in the code used by the site?

BC

Old 05-12-2012, 05:28 AM
Basil Chupin

You said it was your site but your machine was not infected? How did
you get hacked? Was this your local machine or do you use a host? How
where they hacked and what are you going to do about that!!

Sorry for being a little off-topic, but I think you gave just about enough
information. It is very difficult to detect these malicious websites without
an anti-malware app, and it is advertised for Linux that there is no need
for this type of software, because Linux/Kubuntu doesn't get viruses. I have
accidentally visited several malicious websites on Windows 7, so that is the
main reason I decided to stick with Ubuntu. Thanks!

"Exactamondo" :-) .

BC

Old 05-12-2012, 11:40 AM
mitchell

Sorry for being a little off-topic, but I think you gave just about enough

information. It is very difficult to detect these malicious websites without

an anti-malware app, and it is advertised for Linux that there is no need

for this type of software, because Linux/Kubuntu doesn't get viruses. I have

accidentally visited several malicious websites on Windows 7, so that is the

main reason I decided to stick with Ubuntu. Thanks!

Detecting if your website was compromised from your local machine is a wrong approach. Generally, you would want to do this on the server, hosting the website, by monitoring the server logs and the modifications to the files of the website.

In your case, I guess that your mother's computer got infected, and the virus modified the files on the website using FTP. This is how can spread to other computers. This would be visible in the FTP logs. I suggest that you also monitor your files for changes. The easiest way to do this, is run a cron that makes a recursive directory listing every hour, compare it with the listing from the previous hour, and e-mail you if there are differences.

Regards,--
# mitchellWeb:*http://csc.bg,
E-mail:*mitchell@csc.bg,*mitchell@tufala.net

Jabber / Google Talk:*mitchell@tufala.net,*mitchell@jabber.del.bg
ICQ: 164274286
Skype: mukareste*

Old 05-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Thomas Tanghus

On Friday 11 May 2012 18:30 Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> This morning one of my personal sites was hacked and malicious code
> inserted into the index file. I only found out because my mother went to
> the site and her computer was compromised. I did not discover this myself
> because I obviously don't run any anti-malware software on my computer.
>
> Is there a way to detect malicious websites while running Kubuntu? My
> browser of choice, if it matters, is Chrome.

A quick search using https://duckduckgo.com/?q=linux+detect+website+infection
came up with several solutions:

http://www.rfxn.com/projects/linux-malware-detect/

http://milky.manishsinha.net/2007/06/21/installing-and-configuring-clamav-antivirus-on-your-ubuntu/