-   -   Detecting malicious websites (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/665948-detecting-malicious-websites.html)

Basil Chupin 05-12-2012 02:46 AM

Detecting malicious websites

On 12/05/12 11:30, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
This morning one of my personal sites was hacked and malicious code
inserted into the index file. I only found out because my mother went
to the site and her computer was compromised. I did not discover this
myself because I obviously don't run any anti-malware software on my
computer.

Is there a way to detect malicious websites while running Kubuntu? My
browser of choice, if it matters, is Chrome.

Your post is sending mixed messages about the situation. It seems that
you are using Kubuntu and Chrome but you say nothing about what your
mother is running and in what way was she "compromised". Overall, are
you asking about how to detect malicious sites on YOUR Kubuntu/Chrome or
asking how your "personal sites" (and what do you really mean by this?
sites which you have setup or simply those which you personally use?).

While I cannot say what is available to detect malicious sites using
Chrome but if you were using Firefox then you would find Add-ons
(Extensions) which do give you protection against malicious sites and
this besides the setting in FF Preferences, in the Security part, which
will advise you when you hit a malicious site.

BC

"Richard S. Crawford" 05-12-2012 02:53 AM

Detecting malicious websites

This morning one of my personal sites was hacked and malicious code inserted into the index file. I only found out because my mother went to the site and her computer was compromised. I did not discover this myself because I obviously don't run any anti-malware software on my computer.

Is there a way to detect malicious websites while running Kubuntu? My browser of choice, if it matters, is Chrome.

Your post is sending mixed messages about the situation. It seems that you are using Kubuntu and Chrome but you say nothing about what your mother is running and in what way was she "compromised". Overall, are you asking about how to detect malicious sites on YOUR Kubuntu/Chrome or asking how your "personal sites" (and what do you really mean by this? sites which you have setup or simply those which you personally use?).

Sorry, I should have been more clear.
My mother reported the infected site to me this morning. She was at work, where she runs IE on XP (no choice there). She browsed to my site, and Norton popped up a warning about three separate trojans. Apparently, in spite of Norton, her computer was compromised -- infected with malware -- anyway.

When I browsed to my site to investigate nothing popped up -- because, of course, I am not running Norton.
*

While I cannot say what is available to detect malicious sites using Chrome but if you were using Firefox then you would find Add-ons (Extensions) which do give you protection against malicious sites and this besides the setting in FF Preferences, in the Security part, which will advise you when you hit a malicious site.

BC

Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (richard@underpope.com)*http://www.underpope.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/underpope