-   -   Fwd: re update firefox 9 to 11 (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/665878-fwd-re-update-firefox-9-11-a.html)

ray burke 05-11-2012 09:43 PM

Fwd: re update firefox 9 to 11

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: ray burke <rayburke30@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 06:39:18 +1000
Subject: re update firefox 9 to 11
To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Can anyone help please-

I the other day update thru kpackagekit in my k 10.10 firefox 11, but
after i rebooted and started ff11 when
i went online it kept crashing ,and sent a report, then tried 11
attempts but still crashed, so I clonned back to my
k10.10mm backup which was clonned on 23/4/12, and again using ff9, so
how do I stop it updating to ff11,
showing within my kpakagekit? see attached

ray

Basil Chupin 05-12-2012 05:57 AM

Fwd: re update firefox 9 to 11

I the other day update thru kpackagekit in my k 10.10 firefox 11, but
after i rebooted and started ff11 when
i went online it kept crashing ,and sent a report, then tried 11
attempts but still crashed, so I clonned back to my
k10.10mm backup which was clonned on 23/4/12, and again using ff9, so
how do I stop it updating to ff11,
showing within my kpakagekit? see attached

Ray,

If I read what you say above correctly, you are still using v10.10 of
Kubuntu, right?

If so then you ought to know that support by Canonical for 10.10 stopped
in April - and it is now May. (You would have received and e-mail
advising you about the EOL of 10.10 some time ago.)

You should be upgrading to at least the next version of Kubuntu, which
is 11.04 - but keep it mind that this 11.04 will reach EOL (End Of
Life) this coming October - ie, in 5 months time.

You should also know that Firefox is now currently at version 12
(officially - but unofficially at v15 if you use the knightly builds).
The upgrades since v9 which you are running contain many fixes including
security fixes.

Therefore you would be wise to upgrade your Kubuntu which would also
upgrade your Firefox.

BC

Basil Chupin 05-12-2012 06:07 AM

Fwd: re update firefox 9 to 11

You should also know that Firefox is now currently at version 12
(officially - but unofficially at v15 if you use the knightly builds).

LOL.

Must have been thinking about "Damsels in Distress" :-D . (Otherwise
known as a 'Freudian Slip'.)

I meant, "NIGHTLY builds"! :-) .

BC

"O. Sinclair" 05-12-2012 06:15 AM

Fwd: re update firefox 9 to 11

[...]

Wise or not wise could depend on hardware and other issues. In my
experience older hardware do better with older versions of linux. That
has actually been confirmed by tests done by Phoronix where "sandy
bridge" et al do better with 12.04 but hardware older than that do
better with 10.10.

So I would say (and I live by this rule myself): don't upgrade what
works for the user. I have 3 laptops in the house and there is no
question about it: the older ones run happier on older releases. The
newest will not even work (graphic driver issues) on anything older than
11.04.

Just a word on "it is always better to upgrade". Nope it aint, upgrades
can break working software/hardware relations. Linux may be brilliant
but regressions are not exactly uncommon.

Nils Kassube 05-12-2012 06:30 AM

Fwd: re update firefox 9 to 11

ray burke wrote:
> I the other day update thru kpackagekit in my k 10.10 firefox 11, but
> after i rebooted and started ff11 when
> i went online it kept crashing ,and sent a report, then tried 11
> attempts but still crashed, so I clonned back to my
> k10.10mm backup which was clonned on 23/4/12, and again using ff9, so
> how do I stop it updating to ff11,
> showing within my kpakagekit? see attached

While it is certainly better to find out why FF11 doesn't work and to
fix that issue, you can prevent the upgrade to a newer package version
as it is explained here:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto#Introduction_to_Holding_Packages>
There is only a description for synaptic or the commandline, but after
you have marked the package as hold, it should work with kpakagekit as
well.

Nils

Nils Kassube 05-12-2012 06:51 AM

Fwd: re update firefox 9 to 11

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 12/05/12 07:43, ray burke wrote:
> > I the other day update thru kpackagekit in my k 10.10 firefox 11,
> > but after i rebooted and started ff11 when
> > i went online it kept crashing ,and sent a report, then tried 11
> > attempts but still crashed, so I clonned back to my
> > k10.10mm backup which was clonned on 23/4/12, and again using ff9,
> > so how do I stop it updating to ff11,
> > showing within my kpakagekit? see attached
>
> If I read what you say above correctly, you are still using v10.10 of
> Kubuntu, right?
>
> If so then you ought to know that support by Canonical for 10.10
> stopped in April - and it is now May. (You would have received and
> e-mail advising you about the EOL of 10.10 some time ago.)

I think you would only get that email if you subscribe e.g. to the
ubuntu-security-announce list [1].

> You should be upgrading to at least the next version of Kubuntu,
> which is 11.04 - but keep it mind that this 11.04 will reach EOL
> (End Of Life) this coming October - ie, in 5 months time.

I would suggest to try out 12.04 from a live CD. If that works on the
existing hardware, I would install 12.04 directly, preserving the /home
directory (be careful to not format the partition with that directory).
Then the next EOL is 5 years away. Alas the kmail version coming with
12.04 is not yet usable for some people. But Ray doesn't seem to use
kmail anyway, so that may not be an issue for him.

Nils

Basil Chupin 05-12-2012 07:09 AM

Fwd: re update firefox 9 to 11

[...]

Until just a few weeks ago - when I built for myself a new 64-bit system
- I was using a 32-bit system which I built ~7 years ago.

In that period I have used/installed quite a number of Linux distros and
have never really had any hassles with any of them. Sure, when trying
out some beta, or something earlier, then I could get into a hassle - as
expected when you dealing with something like a beta - but nothing was
ever "fatal"; annoying yes, but not "fatal".

Perhaps it could be said that for some 7 years I led a 'magical' life
with little problems re Linux software - ESPECIALLY as I am a
"always-keeping-up-to-date" freak. If it is the latest, I will install it.

While you are correct in saying that, "If it ain't broke don't fix it",
you surely have to acknowledge that when a system is declared as no
longer supported and that some application has been upgraded because of
security (and other) reasons then it is time to "move with the times"
and install the latest software?

Or are you happy to argue that running Kubuntu version 5.04 is quite
acceptable? Or having Windows 3.1.1 still acceptable to run by those who
are MS zealots?

The OP said that he is running Kubuntu 10.10 which has now reached its
EOL. He is also using Firefox 9 (latest version 12, with 15.0.x being
tested). And with this combination he is having problems.

He may be having hassles because what he tried to update did not agree
with the now unsupported Kubuntu 10.10. I don't really know, but it is a
possibility.

To find which is the case he should upgrade from Kubuntu 10.10 - and see
if his system cannot handle it; in which case he can then decide why
this is so and ask questions about how to go about solving his problem.
I say this because I don't believe that Ray can be using such an ancient
computer which could not handle something like Kubuntu v 11.04 at least.
If it now handling 10.10 then it can handle 11.04.

BC

Basil Chupin 05-12-2012 07:20 AM

Fwd: re update firefox 9 to 11

I the other day update thru kpackagekit in my k 10.10 firefox 11,
but after i rebooted and started ff11 when
i went online it kept crashing ,and sent a report, then tried 11
attempts but still crashed, so I clonned back to my
k10.10mm backup which was clonned on 23/4/12, and again using ff9,
so how do I stop it updating to ff11,
showing within my kpakagekit? see attached

If I read what you say above correctly, you are still using v10.10 of
Kubuntu, right?

If so then you ought to know that support by Canonical for 10.10
stopped in April - and it is now May. (You would have received and
e-mail advising you about the EOL of 10.10 some time ago.)

I think you would only get that email if you subscribe e.g. to the
ubuntu-security-announce list [1].

I am not subscribed to ubuntu-security-announce.

I simply get a 'private' e-mail from Kate Stewart telling me when
something new is released or when something is about to reach its EOL.

You should be upgrading to at least the next version of Kubuntu,
which is 11.04 - but keep it mind that this 11.04 will reach EOL
(End Of Life) this coming October - ie, in 5 months time.
I would suggest to try out 12.04 from a live CD. If that works on the
existing hardware, I would install 12.04 directly, preserving the /home
directory (be careful to not format the partition with that directory).
Then the next EOL is 5 years away. Alas the kmail version coming with
12.04 is not yet usable for some people. But Ray doesn't seem to use
kmail anyway, so that may not be an issue for him.

Yep, I agree with this - try out the LIVE version. And I cannot see why
he should have problems with it - except that he may not like Unity or
whatever else that is now foisted on people :-( .

BC

Nils Kassube 05-12-2012 08:25 AM

Fwd: re update firefox 9 to 11

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 12/05/12 16:51, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Basil Chupin wrote:
> >> If so then you ought to know that support by Canonical for 10.10
> >> stopped in April - and it is now May. (You would have received and
> >> e-mail advising you about the EOL of 10.10 some time ago.)
> >
> > I think you would only get that email if you subscribe e.g. to the
> > ubuntu-security-announce list [1].
>
> I am not subscribed to ubuntu-security-announce.
>
> I simply get a 'private' e-mail from Kate Stewart telling me when
> something new is released or when something is about to reach its
> EOL.

That's interesting - how do they know your address and that you would
want such a reminder? Anyway, I probably never received such a private
mail because I always upgrade to a newer version long before EOL.

> > You should be upgrading to at least the next version of Kubuntu,
> > which is 11.04 - but keep it mind that this 11.04 will reach EOL
> > (End Of Life) this coming October - ie, in 5 months time.
> > I would suggest to try out 12.04 from a live CD. If that works on
> > the existing hardware, I would install 12.04 directly, preserving
> > the /home directory (be careful to not format the partition with
> > that directory). Then the next EOL is 5 years away. Alas the kmail
> > version coming with 12.04 is not yet usable for some people. But
> > Ray doesn't seem to use kmail anyway, so that may not be an issue
> > for him.
>
> Yep, I agree with this - try out the LIVE version. And I cannot see
> why he should have problems with it - except that he may not like
> Unity or whatever else that is now foisted on people :-( .

This is the Kubuntu list, so we don't have to worry about unity. :)

OTOH, there may be hardware issues - e.g. with 12.04 I can't receive FM
radio with my analog TV/Radio card any longer out of the box due to a
kernel issue. An older release (8.04?) stopped supporting a WLAN stick I
was using at that time. That's why I always test a new release before I
upgrade. If it doesn't work, I can search for fixes / workarounds
without hurry while I can still use the machine with the older version.

Nils

"O. Sinclair" 05-12-2012 09:33 AM

Fwd: re update firefox 9 to 11

[...]

this is kind of a philosophical discussion but for starters the Windows
3.1 can not be compared to *buntu 10.10. It is more than 10 years
between them. However, if I still had a 80286 pc somewhere I would not
throw anything newer than w95 at it.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA3ODQ
states what I am hinting at. For "older" computers (in this case more
than 2 years) you are better off with older versions of the distro. I
have a Dell Inspiron 6400 that runs slick on 10.10 and get various
graphic driver issues with newer distros. I currently own a HP laptop
that can not be used with anything older than 11.04 due to hardware
(again the bloody graphics) issues.

Security is only one part of the formula. Any linux distro is better
than most version of Windows at whatever age. Updating to later versions
of Open/Libre office and Firefox or Chrome can be done via their
download sites, repositories are not the only way of upgrading applications.

So my oldest stays on 10.10 "no matter what" because then it operates
nicely. Newer versions chokes it and I do not have the energy to try out
x number of distros that might be better suited for the hardware. The
newest lappy is now on 12.04 and from how it looks might stay on that as
now "almost everything" works as can be expected from the hardware.

If I ever buy a Ivy or Sandy or something a newer release will likely be
needed.

Best,
Sinclair