Old 05-13-2012, 05:45 AM
ray burke

Default Fwd: re update firefox 9 to 11

Sinclair,

well how do you think I can fix my problem?

ray

Old 05-13-2012, 06:02 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 13/05/12 07:45, ray burke wrote:

Sinclair,

well how do you think I can fix my problem?
If you want to upgrade Firefox but stay on 10.10 I recommend you check
Firefox download for linux and try install the latest version.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html

there are numerous how-to regarding installation, here is one:
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Installing%20Firefox%20on%20Linux

ray

Old 05-13-2012, 06:29 AM
ray burke

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/05/12 07:45, ray burke wrote:
>>
>> Sinclair,
>>
>> well how do you think I can fix *my problem?
>
> If you want to upgrade Firefox but stay on 10.10 I recommend you check
> Firefox download for linux and try install the latest version.
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
>
> there are numerous how-to regarding installation, here is one:
> http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Installing%20Firefox%20on%20Linux
>

>> ray

Sinclair,

No I want to stay with 9.0?

ray

Old 05-13-2012, 06:29 AM
ray burke

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/05/12 07:45, ray burke wrote:
>>
>> Sinclair,
>>
>> well how do you think I can fix *my problem?
>
> If you want to upgrade Firefox but stay on 10.10 I recommend you check
> Firefox download for linux and try install the latest version.
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
>
> there are numerous how-to regarding installation, here is one:
> http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Installing%20Firefox%20on%20Linux
>

>> ray

Sinclair,

No I want to stay with 9.0?

ray

[...]

There should be an apt-get command (or if you use synaptics, I don't
remember kpackagekit myself) to "park" a package and not get updates for
it. Exactly how to do it I recommend you read man pages for apt-get and
use internet search engines as I don't remember. Am now using Muon
myself, it has a function for that.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Steve Riley

On 2012-05-13 08:48:49 O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/05/12 08:29, ray burke wrote:
> >
> > No I want to stay with 9.0?
> >

> There should be an apt-get command (or if you use synaptics, I don't
> remember kpackagekit myself) to "park" a package and not get updates for
> it. Exactly how to do it I recommend you read man pages for apt-get and
> use internet search engines as I don't remember. Am now using Muon
> myself, it has a function for that.

Two ways. Either of the commands below will accomplish this.

$ sudo apt-mark hold PACKAGE-NAME
$ sudo echo "PACKAGE-NAME hold" | dpkg --set-selections

The first command is simply a wrapper that performs the same thing as the
second command.

...Steve

Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 PM
ray burke

Steve Riley,

should that then read
$ sudo apt-mark hold firefox 10.02
$ sudo echo firefox 10.02 | dpkg --set-selections

to stop the 10.02 from trying to install, or should it read
with firefox 9.0 so as to pin the 9.0 eg
$ sudo apt-mark hold firefox 9.0
$ sudo echo firefox 9.0 | dpkg --set-selections

as I am a little lost?

ray