Old 05-11-2012, 01:36 PM
"anj.tuesday@gmx.net"

Default Accidentally set a root passwd

I mis-used the passwd command and I think I ended up setting a root
password that I now can't seem to remember. At least entering
recovery mode prompts for a root password now, and none will do.
Sudo works fine, so is there a way to disable the root password from
there?

Thanks in advance,
Anja

Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Basil Chupin

I mis-used the passwd command and I think I ended up setting a root
password that I now can't seem to remember. At least entering
recovery mode prompts for a root password now, and none will do.
Sudo works fine, so is there a way to disable the root password from
there?

Thanks in advance,
Anja

Yes, but go and do a search on your problem and you will find a "ton" of
answers on how to do it :-) .

And doing some research for yourself will teach you not to forget
passwords that you set :-) .

BC

Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 PM
David Kuntadi

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM, anj.tuesday@gmx.net
<anj.tuesday@gmx.net> wrote:
> Sudo works fine, so is there a way to disable the root password from
> there?

sudo passwd -l root

DK

Old 05-11-2012, 02:00 PM
"anj.tuesday@gmx.net"

Am Freitag, den 11.05.2012, 23:50 +1000 schrieb Basil Chupin:
> On 11/05/12 23:36, anj.tuesday@gmx.net wrote:
> > I mis-used the passwd command and I think I ended up setting a root
> > password that I now can't seem to remember. At least entering
> > recovery mode prompts for a root password now, and none will do.
> > Sudo works fine, so is there a way to disable the root password from
> > there?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Anja
>
> Yes, but go and do a search on your problem and you will find a "ton" of
> answers on how to do it :-) .
>
> And doing some research for yourself will teach you not to forget
> passwords that you set :-) .
>
> BC

But I so prefer doing blindly what I'm told and hosing my system
even more!

Old 05-11-2012, 02:08 PM
"anj.tuesday@gmx.net"

Am Freitag, den 11.05.2012, 20:50 +0700 schrieb David Kuntadi:
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM, anj.tuesday@gmx.net
> <anj.tuesday@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Sudo works fine, so is there a way to disable the root password from
> > there?
>
> sudo passwd -l root
>
> DK

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Basil Chupin

On 12/05/12 00:00, anj.tuesday@gmx.net wrote:

Am Freitag, den 11.05.2012, 23:50 +1000 schrieb Basil Chupin:

On 11/05/12 23:36, anj.tuesday@gmx.net wrote:

I mis-used the passwd command and I think I ended up setting a root
password that I now can't seem to remember. At least entering
recovery mode prompts for a root password now, and none will do.
Sudo works fine, so is there a way to disable the root password from
there?

Thanks in advance,
Anja

Yes, but go and do a search on your problem and you will find a "ton" of
answers on how to do it :-) .

And doing some research for yourself will teach you not to forget
passwords that you set :-) .

BC

But I so prefer doing blindly what I'm told and hosing my system
even more!

That's the spirit! :-) .

But seriously, look at it from this angle: I don't know where you are
but where I am right now it is just past midnight and it is 0008 hours
on Saturday 12 May but in Los Angeles it is 0800 hours on Friday and
1008 hours in New York.

Now, you were fortunate to find that someone was awake and available to
give you the answer otherwise you may have had to wait for hours and
hours before someone who knew the answer would even read your post. So,
the first thing to do is to use the web and search for the answer. But
you also some most excellent sources of information in the K/Ubuntu
Documentation - https://help.ubuntu.com/community - but (possibly even
better) also Launchpad - https://launchpad.net/ .

I must admit that when searching the net for an answer not only will you
get some gems but you will also get some furphies which will turn your
system into mush if you follow what they say. So, the best places to go
first are the 2 I just mentioned - Documentation and Launchpad. Cannot
find the answer there - then ask in this mail list or the Ubuntu mail list.

BC

Old 05-11-2012, 04:09 PM
"anj.tuesday@gmx.net"

Am Samstag, den 12.05.2012, 00:19 +1000 schrieb Basil Chupin:
> On 12/05/12 00:00, anj.tuesday@gmx.net wrote:

> >> Yes, but go and do a search on your problem and you will find a "ton" of
> >> answers on how to do it :-) .
> >>
> >> And doing some research for yourself will teach you not to forget
> >> passwords that you set :-) .
> >>
> >> BC
> >>

> > But I so prefer doing blindly what I'm told and hosing my system
> > even more!
>
> That's the spirit! :-) .
>
> But seriously, look at it from this angle: I don't know where you are
> but where I am right now it is just past midnight and it is 0008 hours
> on Saturday 12 May but in Los Angeles it is 0800 hours on Friday and
> 1008 hours in New York.
>
> Now, you were fortunate to find that someone was awake and available to
> give you the answer otherwise you may have had to wait for hours and
> hours before someone who knew the answer would even read your post. So,
> the first thing to do is to use the web and search for the answer. But
> you also some most excellent sources of information in the K/Ubuntu
> Documentation - https://help.ubuntu.com/community - but (possibly even
> better) also Launchpad - https://launchpad.net/ .
>
> I must admit that when searching the net for an answer not only will you
> get some gems but you will also get some furphies which will turn your
> system into mush if you follow what they say. So, the best places to go
> first are the 2 I just mentioned - Documentation and Launchpad. Cannot
> find the answer there - then ask in this mail list or the Ubuntu mail list.
>
> BC

man passwd and man usermod would've done the trick, I know. Sometimes
I just want to talk to someone and get a response that I can be
relatively sure is in fact about my problem. But you're right, too.