Old 05-11-2012, 07:05 AM
Mark Fraser

Default Partitioning with KDE Partition Manager

I'm trying to repartition an SD card I've written an image to for use on a
Raspberry Pi, but every time I try to do it the card gets messed up do to auto
mount trying to mount the partitions even though I've told it not to. Any
ideas on how to do it?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Basil Chupin

I'm trying to repartition an SD card I've written an image to for use on a
Raspberry Pi, but every time I try to do it the card gets messed up do to auto
mount trying to mount the partitions even though I've told it not to. Any
ideas on how to do it?

Would like to rewrite your post so that it is understandable as to what
you trying to say?

Thanks.

BC

Old 05-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Waleed Hamra

On 05/11/2012 11:01 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 11/05/12 17:05, Mark Fraser wrote:
>> I'm trying to repartition an SD card I've written an image to for use
>> on a
>> Raspberry Pi, but every time I try to do it the card gets messed up do
>> to auto
>> mount trying to mount the partitions even though I've told it not to. Any
>> ideas on how to do it?
>
> Would like to rewrite your post so that it is understandable as to what
> you trying to say?
>
> Thanks.

he's trying to repartition an SD card, for use with the raspberry pi
(lucky him :P), but somehow, it gets messed up by auto mount. i don't
know what he means by this, why would mounting it mess it up?

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 05-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Mark Fraser

On Friday 11 May 2012 12:01:58 Waleed Hamra wrote:
> On 05/11/2012 11:01 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> > On 11/05/12 17:05, Mark Fraser wrote:
> >> I'm trying to repartition an SD card I've written an image to for use
> >> on a
> >> Raspberry Pi, but every time I try to do it the card gets messed up do
> >> to auto
> >> mount trying to mount the partitions even though I've told it not to. Any
> >> ideas on how to do it?
> >
> > Would like to rewrite your post so that it is understandable as to what
> > you trying to say?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> he's trying to repartition an SD card, for use with the raspberry pi
> (lucky him :P), but somehow, it gets messed up by auto mount. i don't
> know what he means by this, why would mounting it mess it up?

The Debian image is 2GB and comprises of /boot, / and swap partitions. I want
to repartition it to use the whole of a 16GB card by moving swap to the end
and enlarging the / partition.

When I try to do this swap gets moved OK, but when it enlarges the /
partition, it seems like something tries to auto mount the partition after
which the card doesn't have a usable partition table.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:26 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

To start things off - I have no idea what a "Raspberry Pi" is; nor if it
is even relevant to the problem.

The first question is: what are you using to try and repartition this SD
card?

(And an addendum to my first statement: I haven't a clue how different
an SD card is to an USB memory stick [whatever]. The only SD thingie I
know is wot is in my camera - and it is the camera wot formats it :-) .)

If you have already managed to partition the card with whatever
application you used then you can repartition it again with the same
application - BUT, BUT, my question is: are you able to afford to lose
whatever is already on that card? If you can afford this - and therefore
recreate the operating system which is now on it - then simply wipe the
whole card clean and start afresh and re-install the os on it.

On the other hand, if you cannot lose the system then have you tried to
use System Rescue CD version 2.3.1 (don't go past this version as they
don't contain as many useful application as this 2.3.1) to repartition
the card?

BC

Old 05-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Mark Fraser

This http://www.raspberrypi.org/ is a Raspberry Pi.

> The first question is: what are you using to try and repartition this SD
> card?

I was trying to use the KDE Partition Manager to partition the card.

> (And an addendum to my first statement: I haven't a clue how different
> an SD card is to an USB memory stick [whatever]. The only SD thingie I
> know is wot is in my camera - and it is the camera wot formats it :-) .)
>
> If you have already managed to partition the card with whatever
> application you used then you can repartition it again with the same
> application - BUT, BUT, my question is: are you able to afford to lose
> whatever is already on that card? If you can afford this - and therefore
> recreate the operating system which is now on it - then simply wipe the
> whole card clean and start afresh and re-install the os on it.

The operating system was supplied as an image file that was written to the
card using Ubuntu ImageWriter and was 2GB in size as I was using a 16GB card I
wanted to enlarge the root partition to use the whole of the card.

> On the other hand, if you cannot lose the system then have you tried to
> use System Rescue CD version 2.3.1 (don't go past this version as they
> don't contain as many useful application as this 2.3.1) to repartition
> the card?

In the end I used this http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup guide and kept
unmounting the partitions when Solid thought that I wanted to mount something.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Basil Chupin