Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

Default What can I do to get this Virtuoso backend project started again - with a view to structurally resolve the worst KMAIL problems?

On Tue, 8 May 2012 02:50:22 PM Bas Roufs - message in English wrote:
> Pls. explain briefly what I (and perhaps some others) can do to get this
> Virtuoso backend project started again - something like this could
> structurally resolve problems with KMail and Kontact.

Not necessarily. I don't think the choice of DB back-end has much to do with
kmail problems.

I'm not even sure if they would be a good match -virtuoso is a RDF db, mysql
is a relational db, they are fundamentally different.

POOMA U here:

The main problems with Kmail appear to be:

- virtuoso. The search backend for akonadi. Can be a resource hog and has
bugs. When it fails it make akonadi look bad.

- akonadi resource. These do the actual pull/push of data - the imap resource
etc. When the fail they make akonadi look bad.

- akonadi. Its the data backend and has its share of problems. When it fails
it makes kmail look bad.

- Kmail. Getting pretty good now I think.

(Real kdepim devs feel free to correct me with a sledgehammer if necessary)

Part of the problem I think is the long chain of dependant components, any one
of which can bring it all crashing down. For a long while I think there was
poor documentation, constantly evolving apis and poor logging which led to a
lot of issues.

But that really seems to be working out now - kdepim is achieving some
maturity. The kontact suite is way more capable and stable than it was a year
ago. IMAP is pretty solid, Calendar and Contact sync with ical, kolab and
google is working well know - google imap/contacts/calendar is a sweet
combination for me, well synced between desktop, web and android phone.

Still lots of issues to be worked on - client side imap filters seem somewhat
buggy. Search still very erratic. Address completion ...

But they are actively be worked on. Major plumbing and infrastructure is
looking good. Finally seeing some of that akonadi/nepomuk promise. I like
seeing my calendar events automatically show in plasma date widgets. Dolphin
nepomuk searchs are showing my emails - if only they could display them

Its getting there.

--
Lindsay--