Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Kubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/)
-   -   Importiing Kmail to thunderbird ?possible (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/664266-importiing-kmail-thunderbird-possible.html)

Richard Terry 05-08-2012 11:52 AM

Importiing Kmail to thunderbird ?possible
 
After many years I've relectantly decided to give up my kmail* and
switch to thunderbird, and I wondered if anyone had successfullyl
imported the kmail folders/messages, or if it was possible



Regards



richard






--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Ryan Gauger 05-08-2012 01:03 PM

Importiing Kmail to thunderbird ?possible
 
Do you mean import all of your emails, or your contacts? If you are wanting to import your emails, you don't need to. Thunderbird will automatically fetch emails for most email providers (like GMail, Hotmail/Windows Live Mail, etc). The only email provider I can think of that does not work with Thunderbird is Comcast (@comcast.net). There may very well be other emails that don't work with Thunderbird though. Hope this helps! Thanks!

In Christ,
Ryan

On May 8, 2012, at 6:52 AM, Richard Terry <richard@internode.on.net> wrote:

> After many years I've relectantly decided to give up my kmail and switch to thunderbird, and I wondered if anyone had successfullyl imported the kmail folders/messages, or if it was possible
>
> Regards
>
> richard
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

"Marcelo Magno T. Sales" 05-08-2012 01:08 PM

Importiing Kmail to thunderbird ?possible
 
2012/5/8 Richard Terry <richard@internode.on.net>:
> After many years I've relectantly decided to give up my kmail* and switch to
> thunderbird, and I wondered if anyone had successfullyl imported the kmail
> folders/messages, or if it was possible
>
> Regards
>
> richard

As much as I can tell, there's no direct way to import your Kmail's
maildir into Thunderbird's mbox store. However, you can do this
indirectly using an IMAP server. You can install your own IMAP server,
connect Kmail to it and move all your mail folders to the server. Then
connect to this server using Thunderbird and move back your folders.
Probably you can do this using gmail's IMAP to intermediate the
transfer, which would make unecessary to setup a local IMAP server.
However, depending on your needs, maybe Thunderbird is not the ideal
mail client because of its mbox local store. Thunderbird works well
and I like its interface but, although there are many features I use
in Kmail that do not exist in Thunderbird and that I would sure miss,
the main problem that really prevents me from switching to it is the
mbox format for storing e-mail. mbox is very prone to corruption if
you have a LOT of e-mail stored or if you receive and delete too many
e-mails daily, and I do both. I could use IMAP to avoid these
problems, but I prefer to have my e-mail archive stored locally rather
than trusting it to some cloud provider far away.
For now, I'm stuck with Kmail with all its problems and bugs.

[]'s
Marcelo

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Basil Chupin 05-08-2012 01:45 PM

Importiing Kmail to thunderbird ?possible
 
On 08/05/12 21:52, Richard Terry wrote:
After many years I've relectantly decided to give up my kmail and
switch to thunderbird, and I wondered if anyone had successfullyl
imported the kmail folders/messages, or if it was possible


Regards

richard


Anything in here which would help?-

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_and_exporting_your_mail

BC

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Anton 05-08-2012 08:52 PM

Importiing Kmail to thunderbird ?possible
 
Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> As much as I can tell, there's no direct way to import your Kmail's
> maildir into Thunderbird's mbox store. However, you can do this
> indirectly using an IMAP server. You can install your own IMAP server,
> connect Kmail to it and move all your mail folders to the server. Then
> connect to this server using Thunderbird and move back your folders.
> Probably you can do this using gmail's IMAP to intermediate the

I did a test in the past:

I tried to copy my mail structure from KMAil into
a dovecot local imap server... it didn't work well
as I remember

Anton


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Michael Hirsch 05-17-2012 10:02 PM

Importiing Kmail to thunderbird ?possible
 
On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Marcelo Magno T. Sales <mmtsales@gmail.com> wrote:

2012/5/8 Richard Terry <richard@internode.on.net>:

> After many years I've relectantly decided to give up my kmail* and switch to

> thunderbird, and I wondered if anyone had successfullyl imported the kmail

> folders/messages, or if it was possible

>

> Regards

>

> richard



As much as I can tell, there's no direct way to import your Kmail's

maildir into Thunderbird's mbox store. However, you can do this

A web search will yield many mbox to maildir converters, but I don't see anyone advertising maildir to mbox.* You would think someone would have done it.


As I recall, I used kmail to convert to mbox.* I would create a new mail folder in maildir format and move all the files from the old, mbox, folder to the new one.* The conversion happened automatically.

Perhaps this could work in reverse, too?* Kmail used to understand mbox.* If it still does, and can create a new mbox folder, you could copy the maildir emails to the mbox folder.* If that works, you should be able to have thunderbird use the mbox folder.


Michael

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:15 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.