Old 05-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Knapp

Default HELP! NFS Kubuntu 11.10

Anyone have any ideas about how to solve this? I am a NFS newbie but
good with Linux otherwise.

I am having a hell of a time getting NFS to work. I think the problem
is that portmap was removed but I am not to sure.
So I am starting with the basic question of how to you set up NFS on
Kubuntu 11.10
I am quite at home with command line and vim btw.

etc/exports # setting up the server 192.168.2.11 and the client is 192.168.2.45
/home/douglas/KidMovies *192.168.2.45(rw,insecure,async,no_subtree_check)
/home/douglas/Pictures 192.168.2.45(rw,insecure,async,no_subtree_check)

/etc/hosts.allow
portmap: 192.168.2.45
lockd: 192.168.2.45
rquotad: 192.168.2.45
mountd: 192.168.2.45
statd: 192.168.2.45
nfsd: 192.168.2.45

/etc/hosts.deny
ALL: ALL

douglas@FishWorld:~$ sudo showmount -a
[sudo] password for douglas:
clnt_create: RPC: Port mapper failure - Authentication error
douglas@FishWorld:~$ sudo showmount
clnt_create: RPC: Port mapper failure - Authentication error
douglas@FishWorld:~$ sudo showmount -e 192.168.2.11
clnt_create: RPC: Port mapper failure - Authentication error
douglas@FishWorld:~$ sudo showmount -e 192.168.2.45
rpc mount export: RPC: Authentication error; why = Failed (unspecified error)
douglas@FishWorld:~$

Thanks!

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer:
http://douglas.bespin.org/tcm/ztab1.htm

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Alvin

On Tuesday 08 May 2012 10:39:00 Knapp wrote:
> Anyone have any ideas about how to solve this? I am a NFS newbie but
> good with Linux otherwise.
>
> I am having a hell of a time getting NFS to work. I think the problem
> is that portmap was removed but I am not to sure.

It was. You need to install the /nfs-kernel-server/ package on the server and
/nfs-common/ on the client for this basic functionality.

> So I am starting with the basic question of how to you set up NFS on
> Kubuntu 11.10
> I am quite at home with command line and vim btw.
>
> etc/exports
> # setting up the server 192.168.2.11 and the client is 192.168.2.45
>
> /home/douglas/KidMovies 192.168.2.45(rw,insecure,async,no_subtree_check)
> /home/douglas/Pictures 192.168.2.45(rw,insecure,async,no_subtree_check)

That looks fine (for NFSv3).

> /etc/hosts.allow
> [..]

The usage of TCP wrappers is optional

Also check the official documentation here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/network-file-system.html

Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Knapp

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Alvin <info@alvin.be> wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 May 2012 10:39:00 Knapp wrote:
>> Anyone have any ideas about how to solve this? I am a NFS newbie but
>> good with Linux otherwise.
>>
>> I am having a hell of a time getting NFS to work. I think the problem
>> is that portmap was removed but I am not to sure.
>
> It was. You need to install the /nfs-kernel-server/ package on the server and
> /nfs-common/ on the client for this basic functionality.
>
>> So I am starting with the basic question of how to you set up NFS on
>> Kubuntu 11.10
>> I am quite at home with command line and vim btw.
>>
>> etc/exports
>> # setting up the server 192.168.2.11 and the client is 192.168.2.45
>>
>> /home/douglas/KidMovies 192.168.2.45(rw,insecure,async,no_subtree_check)
>> /home/douglas/Pictures *192.168.2.45(rw,insecure,async,no_subtree_check)
>
> That looks fine (for NFSv3).
>
>> /etc/hosts.allow
>> [..]
>
> The usage of TCP wrappers is optional
>
> Also check the official documentation here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/network-file-system.html

Thanks for helping! But it will not export. I cant' see it at all on
the other computer. I have it working the other way just fine but
can't get this computer to work as you can see but the showmount
errors.