Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Kubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/)
-   -   KMail2 backup: can ignore the akonadi stuff? (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/663319-kmail2-backup-can-ignore-akonadi-stuff.html)

Anton 05-05-2012 08:07 AM

KMail2 backup: can ignore the akonadi stuff?
 
Hi,

I want to switch from Kubuntu 11.10 to 12.04.

In earlier time backup of my mails was easy:
tar the .kde folder and you're done.

Now we have akonadi (and nepomuk) & a mysql server running
in my opinion:
1. overkill: a simple file based sqlite would have beet simpler
2. security issue due to indexing:
Immagine I have a *temporarily* mail with some
"private" stuff like credit card number / password.
If I delete (or wipe) my email: how can I get sure
that this data is *not* surviving as ghost in some index file.
The same issue nepomuk: I do not want a system using constantly
cpu/memory/disk indexing stuff which I want to search only
from time to time.
I would prefer to search explicitly when I need to, but nepomuk/akonady
(or only akonady do not remember) need to run or Kontakt & friends do
not work anymore.

Ok, after my remarky (yes I am whining a little bit) I have one question:

Is it enough to back up the .kde folder *ignoring* the akonadi
mysql database?

Or will I have some mails lost?

Thanks

Anton


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Mark Fraser 05-05-2012 08:18 AM

KMail2 backup: can ignore the akonadi stuff?
 
On Saturday 05 May 2012 10:07:14 Anton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to switch from Kubuntu 11.10 to 12.04.
>
> In earlier time backup of my mails was easy:
> tar the .kde folder and you're done.
>
> Now we have akonadi (and nepomuk) & a mysql server running
> in my opinion:
> 1. overkill: a simple file based sqlite would have beet simpler
> 2. security issue due to indexing:
> Immagine I have a *temporarily* mail with some
> "private" stuff like credit card number / password.
> If I delete (or wipe) my email: how can I get sure
> that this data is *not* surviving as ghost in some index file.
> The same issue nepomuk: I do not want a system using constantly
> cpu/memory/disk indexing stuff which I want to search only
> from time to time.
> I would prefer to search explicitly when I need to, but nepomuk/akonady
> (or only akonady do not remember) need to run or Kontakt & friends do
> not work anymore.

May I add a 3rd:
3. It makes backing up of emails, contacts etc a nightmare.

> Ok, after my remarky (yes I am whining a little bit) I have one question:
>
> Is it enough to back up the .kde folder *ignoring* the akonadi
> mysql database?

I don't think emails are stored in .kde any more, instead they are stored in
the .local/share folder in .local_mail_directory.

> Or will I have some mails lost?
>
> Thanks
>
> Anton
--
Registered Linux User #466407 http://counter.li.org

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

"O. Sinclair" 05-05-2012 09:12 AM

KMail2 backup: can ignore the akonadi stuff?
 
On 05/05/12 10:18, Mark Fraser wrote:

On Saturday 05 May 2012 10:07:14 Anton wrote:

Hi,

I want to switch from Kubuntu 11.10 to 12.04.

In earlier time backup of my mails was easy:
tar the .kde folder and you're done.

Now we have akonadi (and nepomuk)& a mysql server running
in my opinion:
1. overkill: a simple file based sqlite would have beet simpler
2. security issue due to indexing:
Immagine I have a *temporarily* mail with some
"private" stuff like credit card number / password.
If I delete (or wipe) my email: how can I get sure
that this data is *not* surviving as ghost in some index file.
The same issue nepomuk: I do not want a system using constantly
cpu/memory/disk indexing stuff which I want to search only
from time to time.
I would prefer to search explicitly when I need to, but nepomuk/akonady
(or only akonady do not remember) need to run or Kontakt& friends do
not work anymore.


May I add a 3rd:
3. It makes backing up of emails, contacts etc a nightmare.


Ok, after my remarky (yes I am whining a little bit) I have one question:

Is it enough to back up the .kde folder *ignoring* the akonadi
mysql database?


I don't think emails are stored in .kde any more, instead they are stored in
the .local/share folder in .local_mail_directory.


Or will I have some mails lost?



As far as I understand it your physical emails are still stored in a
folder (maildir) or file (mbox) somewhere. The location might differ
depending on the age of your installation and upgrades gone through etc.
Currently the default is HOME/.local/share/local_mail and
HOME/.local/share/.local-mail.directory.


The akonadi and nepomuk stuff are "only" databases related to "just
about everything". I once deleted all akonadi stuff and boy was I happy
to have a backup to restore. All accounts, settings etc. seem to be in
akonadi "somehow" but the raw data is still in folders.


Nepomuk seems to be more about "only" searching/indexing things. I have
several times deleted the nepomuk folder when search simply stopped
working. Give it time to reindex and all is back where you left.


If you also use Windows I would say Akonadi is a bit like the registry.
Delete it and you basically have to start all over with settings,
accounts etc. Like a fresh install - but your files are still there.


Others may agree or disagree but I generally do not touch the akonadi if
I can avoid it, I just backup all I can of HOME folder and subfolders.


Sinclair

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:35 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.