Old 05-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Dennis Linux

Default Ati s-video and vga Ubuntu 12.04

Dear Linux users,
The s-video from my Ati Radeo 9250 give's me 800x600 resolution with no good fit to my crt Philips screen in Ubuntu 12.04 and Kubuntu.When i use the vga port there's no problem with the resolution.How can i get a beter resolution with my s-video connection?The screen doesn't*recognize my tv.
Dennis

Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Waleed Hamra

On Saturday May 5 2012 00:38:46 Dennis Linux wrote:
> Dear Linux users,
> The s-video from my Ati Radeo 9250 give's me 800x600 resolution with no good
> fit to my crt Philips screen in Ubuntu 12.04 and Kubuntu.When i use the vga
> port there's no problem with the resolution.How can i get a beter
> resolution with my s-video connection?The screen doesn't recognize my tv.
> Dennis

I'm no ATI expert, but maybe this link can help, it's for MythTV, but should
apply to any Linux distro.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ATI_Proprietary_Driver

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 05-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Jonas Norlander

2012/5/5 Dennis Linux <frankie-1@hotmail.nl>:
> Dear Linux users,
>
> The s-video from my Ati Radeo 9250 give's me 800x600 resolution with no good
> fit to my crt Philips screen in Ubuntu 12.04 and Kubuntu.
> When i use the vga port there's no problem with the resolution.
> How can i get a beter resolution with my s-video connection?
> The screen doesn't*recognize my tv.

I found this forum thread containing some useful information.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/558082

Old 05-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Isak Enström

2012/5/5 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>

2012/5/5 Dennis Linux <frankie-1@hotmail.nl>:

> Dear Linux users,

> The s-video from my Ati Radeo 9250 give's me 800x600 resolution with no good

> fit to my crt Philips screen in Ubuntu 12.04 and Kubuntu.

> When i use the vga port there's no problem with the resolution.

> How can i get a beter resolution with my s-video connection?

> The screen doesn't*recognize my tv.

I found this forum thread containing some useful information.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/558082

Unfortunately*800x600 is the highest possible resolution for s-video with the open source radeon drivers. Since your card is no longer supported by AMD you're out of luck getting a higher resolution, but you can use extended desktop with the help of xrandr (man xrandr in a terminal).*
To use extended desktop I run this command:*xrandr --output S-video --mode 800x600 --right-of LVDS --output LVDS --auto &
LVDS is the name of my laptop screen so you need to adjust to whatever you are using.

~~
Isak
__