-   -   Kppp cannot be launched (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/663232-kppp-cannot-launched.html)

Waleed Hamra 05-04-2012 10:30 PM

Kppp cannot be launched

On Saturday May 5 2012 00:11:06 Thomas Tanghus Olsen wrote:
> On Saturday 05 May 2012 01:00 Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> > 12.04, KDE 4.8.3
> >
> > I was trying to launch Kppp for USB wireless modem, but the program do not
> > open. Through terminal I got this:
> >
> > /usr/bin/kppp: Permission denied
> >
> > With sudo kppp it starts however. How can this be corrected?
> > gk
>
> sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/kppp
>
> Why do you use kppp? The network manager handles wireless modems just fine
> afaik.
>
> --
> Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards
>
> Thomas Tanghus Olsen

check the permissions on /usr/bin/kppp
kppp is a program that needs to be root to function, on my computer i see that
i has the setuid permission, so it always runs as root, regardless of who
starts it, maybe that's what you're missing?

-rwsr-xr-- 1 root dialout 546060 2012-04-06 12:39 /usr/bin/kppp

these commands should get you there:

sudo chown root:dialout /usr/bin/kppp
sudo chmod 4754 /usr/bin/kppp

after that, you should be able to run kppp as non-root, and it'll function.

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

05-04-2012 11:10 PM

Kppp cannot be launched

On Saturday, May 05, 2012 01:00:27 AM Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> 12.04, KDE 4.8.3
>
> I was trying to launch Kppp for USB wireless modem, but the program do not
> open. Through terminal I got this:
>
> /usr/bin/kppp: Permission denied
>
> With sudo kppp it starts however. How can this be corrected?
> gk

Are you a member of the dialout group?

Georgi Kourtev 05-05-2012 05:14 AM

Kppp cannot be launched

Strangely enough, when I plug the modem, network manager wireless modem tab is not active. This issue i jave since 11.04. Before that it worked just fine.

Gk

На 05.05.2012 01:12 "Thomas Tanghus Olsen" <thomas@tanghus.net> написа:

Thomas Tanghus 05-05-2012 09:18 AM

Kppp cannot be launched

On Saturday 05 May 2012 08:14 Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> На 05.05.2012 01:12 "Thomas Tanghus Olsen" <thomas@tanghus.net> написа:
> > On Saturday 05 May 2012 01:00 Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> > > 12.04, KDE 4.8.3
> > >
> > > I was trying to launch Kppp for USB wireless modem, but the program do
> >
> > not
> >
> > > open. Through terminal I got this:
> > >
> > > /usr/bin/kppp: Permission denied
> > >
> > > With sudo kppp it starts however. How can this be corrected?
> > > gk
> >
> > sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/kppp
> >
> > Why do you use kppp? The network manager handles wireless modems just fine
> > afaik.
> >
> Strangely enough, when I plug the modem, network manager wireless modem tab
> is not active. This issue i jave since 11.04. Before that it worked just
> fine.

Weird. I don't use it myself, but if I push the wrong button on my phone, it
automatically pops up ready to connect to my provider. I got a bit confused
first time it happened :-P

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus

I was trying to launch Kppp for USB wireless modem, but the program do

not

open. Through terminal I got this:

/usr/bin/kppp: Permission denied

With sudo kppp it starts however. How can this be corrected?
gk

sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/kppp

Why do you use kppp? The network manager handles wireless modems just fine
afaik.

Strangely enough, when I plug the modem, network manager wireless modem tab
is not active. This issue i jave since 11.04. Before that it worked just
fine.

Weird. I don't use it myself, but if I push the wrong button on my phone, it
automatically pops up ready to connect to my provider. I got a bit confused
first time it happened :-P

try "kdesudo kppp", that is what I used when I was still using kppp. I
changed the launcher/menu to that command as well.

Otherwise good old cli command wvdial still beats them all..

"O. Sinclair" 05-05-2012 09:54 AM

Kppp cannot be launched