Old 05-03-2012, 05:51 AM
Clay Weber

Default bin folder with a "check-home" file appeared in Home directory

On Thursday, May 03, 2012 01:51:20 AM Lucas L wrote:

> Hi,
> I recently noticed a new folder in my Home directory, with a file named
"check-home". File appears to be an executable but has no extension, an it is
20,7 KiB.

> I tried to open it with kate and, apart from the strange characters, close
to the end of the file I could read the following lines:

> /proc/self/exe .config/.check-home.pid /proc/%s/exe %d .tar CPUINFO=`cat
/proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name'`;LSPCI=`lspci`;echo ${CPUINFO}${LSPCI} |
sha1sum | head -c 40 check-filesystem /proc/stat btime /bin/sh /bin/busybox
test4.lnx-ads.com test6.lnx-ads.com UDP
> -c /dev/urandom .local tcp udp /etc/services � � � �
/etc/hosts DNSCACHEIP /etc/resolv.conf nameserver search domain
/etc/passwd

> Does anybody know something about this file? Is it dangerous or should I
delete it?
> Thanks in advance,
> Lucas

What folder has this? Some application must have created this when it was first
run, that folder name will be the clue. I don't have such a file myself.
--
clay

Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 AM
George Dvorak

Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 AM
George Dvorak

I have an executable file also /proc/self/exe. What causes you to worry about this file?

Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Lucas L

Message: 7

Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 23:23:03 -0700

From: George Dvorak <gldvorak@gmail.com>

To: Kubuntu user technical support <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>

Subject: Re: bin folder with a "check-home" file appeared in Home

* * * *directory

* * * *<CAA5A9LGHZde1P7mM5yJNK9DKBBQG0NgbOB81_m5JarNb9UU 9Kw@mail.gmail.com>

I have an executable file also /proc/self/exe. What causes you to worry

about this file?

Sorry, I think I *wasn't clear enough. Yesterday night I opened my Home and found this new folder, called "bin", with a file inside called "check-home". To make it clear, what appeared is /home/user/bin/check-home.*

I googled it and only found a result in a Linux-Mint forum, but the user with the same problem din't get an answer.*
So I'm trying to figure out what is it about, and if it could be some kind of malware.*

Thanks,Lucas

Old 05-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Clay Weber

> On Thursday, May 03, 2012 11:37:18 AM Lucas L wrote:
>

> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 23:23:03 -0700
> From: George Dvorak <gldvorak@gmail.com>
> To: Kubuntu user technical support <kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: bin folder with a "check-home" file appeared in Home
> directory
<CAA5A9LGHZde1P7mM5yJNK9DKBBQG0NgbOB81_m5JarNb9UU9 Kw@mail.gmail.com>

> I have an executable file also /proc/self/exe. What causes you to worry
> about this file?
>

> Sorry, I think I wasn't clear enough. Yesterday night I opened my Home and
found this new folder, called "bin", with a file inside called "check-home". To
make it clear, what appeared is /home/user/bin/check-home.

> I googled it and only found a result in a Linux-Mint forum, but the user
with the same problem din't get an answer.

> So I'm trying to figure out what is it about, and if it could be some kind of
malware.

> Thanks,
> Lucas

Have you installed something manually via a script or installer other than a
deb file?

Some games that get installed to your home dir (ie as user and not system-
wide) and not requiring sudo can add directories like this. It can mirror your
root folder heirarchy a little. A game may install an executable file in such a
~/bin folder, for example. It is safe to remove, as it is not a system file,
but obviously whatever you installed that needs it may not.

--
clay