-   -   Seriously, Ubuntu Software Center? *g* (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/662215-seriously-ubuntu-software-center-g.html)

anj tuesday 05-02-2012 12:43 PM

Seriously, Ubuntu Software Center? *g*

With captchas like these, I've yet to manage to sign up for the
send-in-your-recommendations feature:

http://imgur.com/a/7okOK#4

Lindsay Mathieson 05-02-2012 01:11 PM

On Wed, 2 May 2012 02:43:34 PM anj tuesday wrote:
> With captchas like these, I've yet to manage to sign up for the
> send-in-your-recommendations feature:
>
> http://imgur.com/a/7okOK#4

Those are particularly bad but its becoming a problem across the board now.
Generally take me 3-4 go's to get past the std captchas now on forum postings
etc, it getting really irritating. I'm bothering less and less these days.
--
Lindsay

anj tuesday 05-02-2012 01:19 PM

Seriously, Ubuntu Software Center? *g*

With captchas like these, I've yet to manage to sign up for the
send-in-your-recommendations feature:

http://imgur.com/a/7okOK#4

Those are particularly bad but its becoming a problem across the board now.
Generally take me 3-4 go's to get past the std captchas now on forum postings
etc, it getting really irritating. I'm bothering less and less these days.

I didn't get past this one at all. It also didn't seem to like my email
address. I'm not sure it's not broken, actually...

gene heskett 05-02-2012 01:45 PM

Seriously, Ubuntu Software Center? *g*

On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 09:33:31 AM anj tuesday did opine:

> With captchas like these, I've yet to manage to sign up for the
> send-in-your-recommendations feature:
>
> http://imgur.com/a/7okOK#4

You got a better series of them than I did, and I also gave up. But I
should have known better, its a rare occasion indeed when the kde folks
care what the user wants. I have gotten the impression that they will do
anything they can to reduce the volume of incoming mail while making it
_look_ like they take feedback. Those capcha's are intended to be human
solvable while OCR techniques fail. But not even I've Been Moved's Watson
could solve those. Stuff them someplace dark with a methane atmosphere,
please.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You are a bundle of energy, always on the go.

anj tuesday 05-02-2012 01:53 PM

Seriously, Ubuntu Software Center? *g*

On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 09:33:31 AM anj tuesday did opine:

With captchas like these, I've yet to manage to sign up for the
send-in-your-recommendations feature:

http://imgur.com/a/7okOK#4

You got a better series of them than I did, and I also gave up. But I
should have known better, its a rare occasion indeed when the kde folks
care what the user wants. I have gotten the impression that they will do
anything they can to reduce the volume of incoming mail while making it
_look_ like they take feedback. Those capcha's are intended to be human
solvable while OCR techniques fail. But not even I've Been Moved's Watson
could solve those. Stuff them someplace dark with a methane atmosphere,
please.

Yeah, it feels like you're not supposed to actually manage to
sign up. But I wouldn't blame KDE for the vagaries of
Ubuntu Software Center...?

gene heskett 05-02-2012 02:40 PM

Seriously, Ubuntu Software Center? *g*

On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 10:39:59 AM anj tuesday did opine:

> Am 02.05.2012 15:45, schrieb gene heskett:
> > On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 09:33:31 AM anj tuesday did opine:
> >> With captchas like these, I've yet to manage to sign up for the
> >> send-in-your-recommendations feature:
> >>
> >> http://imgur.com/a/7okOK#4
> >
> > You got a better series of them than I did, and I also gave up. But I
> > should have known better, its a rare occasion indeed when the kde
> > folks care what the user wants. I have gotten the impression that
> > they will do anything they can to reduce the volume of incoming mail
> > while making it _look_ like they take feedback. Those capcha's are
> > intended to be human solvable while OCR techniques fail. But not
> > even I've Been Moved's Watson could solve those. Stuff them
> > someplace dark with a methane atmosphere, please.
>
> Yeah, it feels like you're not supposed to actually manage to
> sign up. But I wouldn't blame KDE for the vagaries of
> Ubuntu Software Center...?

Humm, I coulda sworn this was the Kubuntu list. :)

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I'm hungry, time to eat lunch.

anj tuesday 05-02-2012 03:04 PM

[...]

Sure is :) Doesn't turn Ubuntu things into KDE things...

Clay Weber 05-02-2012 04:16 PM

On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 05:04:37 PM anj tuesday wrote:
> Am 02.05.2012 16:40, schrieb gene heskett:

> >> Yeah, it feels like you're not supposed to actually manage to
> >> sign up. But I wouldn't blame KDE for the vagaries of
> >> Ubuntu Software Center...?
> >
> > Humm, I coulda sworn this was the Kubuntu list. :)
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Sure is :) Doesn't turn Ubuntu things into KDE things...

Or turn Captcha things into Ubuntu things turning into Kubuntu things ;)

I have seen official Captcha reCaptcha images become unreadbale quite often
these days. I wonder if it is the quality of the content they feed out to all
the website authentication areas they service, or they have made it more
difficult to make it tougher for bots and spammers to break. Very frustrating no
matter the reason, as is the spam and porn that makes it through if sites ease
up on the verifications

--
clay

anj tuesday 05-02-2012 04:34 PM

[...]

Why would the unguessable or "wrong locale"-y ones (had some Greek
and Hebrew) even get rolled out? If computers can't "read" them,
wouldn't it have to start with humans consciously deciding to add them
(and their clear text "solutions")? Must be a sadistic bunch...