Old 05-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Anton

Default Does KMail2 work better in 12.04

Hi,

I used KMail since I uses KDE (first Suse then Kubuntu).
But starting with KMail2 in Kubuntu 11.10 I got
to much problems and I switched to Thunderbird.

Now my question: does anybody still use KMail2 and if yes,
does it work now in 12.04.

Thanks

Anton

Old 05-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Steve Riley

On 2012-05-01 22:49:18 Anton <antonxx@gmx.de> wrote:

> Now my question: does anybody still use KMail2 and if yes,
> does it work now in 12.04.

KMail is now working very well for me, using IMAP to GMail.

As an experiment, I switched the Akonadi backend from MySQL to SQLite, and
this has made KMail feel subjectively smoother. Prior versions didn't handle
SQLite so well, but those problems appear to be fixed.

...Steve

Old 05-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Anj Tuesday

Am Dienstag, 1. Mai 2012, 22:49:18 schrieb Anton:
> Hi,
>
> I used KMail since I uses KDE (first Suse then Kubuntu).
> But starting with KMail2 in Kubuntu 11.10 I got
> to much problems and I switched to Thunderbird.
>
> Now my question: does anybody still use KMail2 and if yes,
> does it work now in 12.04.
>
> Thanks
>
> Anton

Not the way I usually do email - by letting fetchmail & postfix
daemons feed /var/mail/username with mail from my various POP3
account, and letting my mail client (Kmail in this case) look for
it there and only there (that is, it doesn't connect to anything
"outside" my PC in order to find mail).

I still get the usual series of freakout popups about external
programs modifying the mbox and about backups being made just in
case, and I don't think it properly deletes retrieved mail from
the mbox (though perhaps setting the compression interval from
50 to 1 might help there).

KMail does work for me if I set up POP3 resources from within KMail
and use the /var/mail/username mbox spool thing strictly for local
mail (which I never get, what with me living alone).

But when I work like that I can't as easily try out different mail
clients or resort to console clients because there's so much more
setting up to do than when all my mail just automatically ends
up in /var/mail/poor_little_me.

So basically I don't like the way KMail (Kmail2, that is, it wasn't
a problem before and isn't a problem for Thunderbird or Evolution
or (etc.)) makes me work, but I still like the interface and
general simplicity of KMail.

:/,

Anja

Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Bas Roufs - message in English

Hello Anton and everybody,

> > Now my question: does anybody still use KMail2 and if yes,

> > does it work now in 12.04.

Yes - I do use Kmail/ Kontact - it functions well enough, but still has some rough edges. A few days ago, I upgraded from Kubuntu 11.10 to 12.04. So, here, I share my first impressions.

*

> KMail is now working very well for me, using IMAP to GMail.

*

So far, KMAIL in Kubuntu 12.04 seems to work better then in Kubuntu 11.10 - eg. fetching large quantities of e-mail messages seem to function better.

I also use (online and offline) IMAP to GMAIL.

I think, you can use IMAP also with GMX.

> As an experiment, I switched the Akonadi backend from MySQL to SQLite, and

> this has made KMail feel subjectively smoother. Prior versions didn't handle

> SQLite so well, but those problems appear to be fixed.

One of the "rough edges" I refer to, is the intense CPU usage by a few processes when using Kontact - MySQL is one of them. So, please, Steve explain me how I could switch to "SQLite".

*

Thanks, respectfully yours,

*

Bas.