Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Matt Price

Default can't rename activities/no activiities settings

I'm a longtime ubuntu user finally driven to KDE by Unity. I'm slowly
finding my feet and am quite excited about the Activities feature of
KDE. I understand I ought to be able to name activities and set other
features of them in the desktop settings screen under "activities" but
my "Desktop Settings" screen is actually quite bare, showing only
"view" and "mouse". I installed kubuntu using "apt-get install
kubuntu-desktop" but I suspect I'm missing some packages or something.

I've filed a bug but wonder if this is a silly user error better
addressed on a mailing list; there's a screenshot attached to the bug,
here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase/+bug/991859/+attachment/3120107/+files/desktopsetting_noact.png

Appreciate any help! Thanks,
Matt

Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Fayaz Yusuf Khan

Matt Price wrote:

> I'm a longtime ubuntu user finally driven to KDE by Unity. I'm slowly
> finding my feet and am quite excited about the Activities feature of
> KDE. I understand I ought to be able to name activities and set other
> features of them in the desktop settings screen under "activities" but
> my "Desktop Settings" screen is actually quite bare, showing only
> "view" and "mouse".
You're looking in the wrong place. Try the button at the top-right corner of
your desktop. Or press Meta+Q.
--
Cloud architect and hacker, Dexetra, India
fayaz.yusuf.khan_AT_gmail_DOT_com

Old 04-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Clay Weber

On Monday, April 30, 2012 06:44:15 AM Matt Price wrote:
> I'm a longtime ubuntu user finally driven to KDE by Unity. I'm slowly
> finding my feet and am quite excited about the Activities feature of
> KDE. I understand I ought to be able to name activities and set other
> features of them in the desktop settings screen under "activities" but
> my "Desktop Settings" screen is actually quite bare, showing only
> "view" and "mouse". I installed kubuntu using "apt-get install
> kubuntu-desktop" but I suspect I'm missing some packages or something.
>
> I've filed a bug but wonder if this is a silly user error better
> addressed on a mailing list; there's a screenshot attached to the bug,
> here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase/+bug/991859/+attachment/31
> 20107/+files/desktopsetting_noact.png
>
> Appreciate any help! Thanks,
> Matt

Click the "cashew" thing up in the corner of your desktop and use that to open
the Actiity list, there you can click the wrench on any to edit the name and
icon.

--
clay

Old 04-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Ryan Gauger

Welcome to KDE! IMHO, KDE actually looks as slick as Mac OS X. This may be a bug. In Kubuntu/KDE, you will not file bugs using Launchpad. Instead, you will be using a different online service, in which the name escapes me for the moment. Thanks!

In Christ,
Ryan

Sent from my iPod

Old 04-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 05/01/2012 01:54 AM, Ryan Gauger wrote:
> Welcome to KDE! IMHO, KDE actually looks as slick as Mac OS X. This may be a bug. In Kubuntu/KDE, you will not file bugs using Launchpad. Instead, you will be using a different online service, in which the name escapes me for the moment. Thanks!
>
> In Christ,
> Ryan
>
> Sent from my iPod
>
> On Apr 30, 2012, at 5:44 AM, Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm a longtime ubuntu user finally driven to KDE by Unity. I'm slowly
>> finding my feet and am quite excited about the Activities feature of
>> KDE. I understand I ought to be able to name activities and set other
>> features of them in the desktop settings screen under "activities" but
>> my "Desktop Settings" screen is actually quite bare, showing only
>> "view" and "mouse". I installed kubuntu using "apt-get install
>> kubuntu-desktop" but I suspect I'm missing some packages or something.
>>
>> I've filed a bug but wonder if this is a silly user error better
>> addressed on a mailing list; there's a screenshot attached to the bug,
>> here:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase/+bug/991859/+attachment/3120107/+files/desktopsetting_noact.png
>>
>> Appreciate any help! Thanks,
>> Matt
>>
>> --

the KDE bug tracker:

https://bugs.kde.org/

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 05-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Matt Price

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 9:11 AM, Fayaz Yusuf Khan <fayaz@dexetra.com> wrote:
> Matt Price wrote:
>
>> I'm a longtime ubuntu user finally driven to KDE by Unity. *I'm slowly
>> finding my feet and am quite excited about the Activities feature of
>> KDE. I understand I ought to be able to name activities and set other
>> features of them in the desktop settings screen under "activities" but
>> my "Desktop Settings" screen is actually quite bare, showing only
>> "view" and "mouse".
> You're looking in the wrong place. Try the button at the top-right corner of
> your desktop. Or press Meta+Q.
> --
Hi, thanks Fayaz and Clay. sorry for the slow response, I was bogged
down in some stuff and didn't want to log out and try KDE until it was
done, but it took ages!

Back in KDE now, and I htink both of you are just suggesting I do what
I was already doing -- right-click on the desktop or click the
cachew-thing in the top right corner, then click one of hte "wrench"
buttons -- from what I've seen on the web there's supposed to be an
"activities" option once you open "Desktop Settings" But I'm not
seeing anything like that -- see this image:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase/+bug/991859/+attachment/3120107/+files/desktopsetting_noact.png

any hints? Kubuntu-desktop is installed and uptodate, and I seem to
have everything else related to activities that I can find. Is there
a command I can issue at the command line maybw? Thanks again,

Matt

Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Steve Riley

On 2012-05-03 16:52:44 Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:

> any hints? Kubuntu-desktop is installed and uptodate, and I seem to
> have everything else related to activities that I can find. Is there
> a command I can issue at the command line maybw? Thanks again,

1. Right-click the desktop background. You should see a menu like this:

http://goo.gl/IcbD3

2. Don't choose "Desktop Settings," but instead choose "Activities." The
Activity Manager will appear at the bottom of your screen:

http://goo.gl/oZhpB

3.Click the wrench next to the Activity you want to rename (in the
illustration, it's currently called "New Activity"). Here, you can change the
name and the icon:

http://goo.gl/8RlUN

Hope this helps...

...Steve

Old 05-04-2012, 04:34 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 2012-05-03 16:52:44 Matt Price<moptop99@gmail.com> wrote:

any hints? Kubuntu-desktop is installed and uptodate, and I seem to
have everything else related to activities that I can find. Is there
a command I can issue at the command line maybw? Thanks again,

1. Right-click the desktop background. You should see a menu like this:

http://goo.gl/IcbD3

2. Don't choose "Desktop Settings," but instead choose "Activities." The
Activity Manager will appear at the bottom of your screen:

http://goo.gl/oZhpB

3.Click the wrench next to the Activity you want to rename (in the
illustration, it's currently called "New Activity"). Here, you can change the
name and the icon:

http://goo.gl/8RlUN

As we are on the subject: how do I remove an activity? I click (or try
not to rather) on an activity and I am "in it". go back to menu, stop
the activity. right-click on and and can "accept" or "cancel" changes I
have not made but no "remove"??

Best regards
Sinclair

Old 05-04-2012, 05:00 AM
d~_*b

On Fri 04 May 2012 6:34:01 AM O. Sinclair wrote:
> > 2. Don't choose "Desktop Settings," but instead choose "Activities." The
> > Activity Manager will appear at the bottom of your screen:
> >
> > http://goo.gl/oZhpB
> >
> > 3.Click the wrench next to the Activity you want to rename (in the
> > illustration, it's currently called "New Activity"). Here, you can change
> > the name and the icon:
> >
> > http://goo.gl/8RlUN
>
> As we are on the subject: how do I remove an activity? I click (or try
> not to rather) on an activity and I am "in it". go back to menu, stop
> the activity. right-click on and and can "accept" or "cancel" changes I
> have not made but no "remove"??

See the small x on the Activities in the screenshot 'http://goo.gl/oZhpB'?
That is the one, It works similar to all the other x's on many other windows
'Close/Exit/Terminate'

-- & Ru

Fri May 4 08:30:01 2012
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 06:06:08 +0100
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?V=EDtor_Miguel_Miranda_Ferreira?=
<vitor.dominor@gmail.com>
To: aur-general@archlinux.org
Subject: Re: [aur-general] Disown rosa-media-player
Sender: aur-general-bounces@archlinux.org

Greetings,
I resend my disown request for the rosa-media-player package, since as
suggested I have sent an email to its maintainer and I have not yet
received any response, having passed more than two weeks.

V=EDtor Ferreira.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:37 AM
"O. Sinclair"