Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 AM
David Fletcher

Default User Manager on Hardy

I'm having a play around with Hardy on an old machine.

The fundamental thing that doesn't work for me is the System Settings
-> User Management. I use the Administrator Mode button, but still
the buttons for New, Modify and Delete user are greyed out. Can
anybody else confirm this please?

I have used the adduser command from Konsole, and that works just
fine, but the GUI tools need to be working also.

Dave

Old 04-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Nils Kassube

David Fletcher wrote:
> The fundamental thing that doesn't work for me is the System Settings
> -> User Management. I use the Administrator Mode button, but still
> the buttons for New, Modify and Delete user are greyed out. Can
> anybody else confirm this please?

I had the same problem some time ago, but I think it was caused by old
config files somewhere in the directory ~/.kde (I did an upgrade from
Dapper). I deleted that directory and started with a fresh KDE
environment and the system settings also worked in administrator mode.
But beware, if you delete that directory, you may loose your emails (and
maybe other things which are important to you). You could try the
command "kdesu systemsettings" (without quotes) if nothing else works.

Nils

Old 04-08-2008, 11:55 AM
David Fletcher

At 10:52 08/04/2008, you wrote:
>David Fletcher wrote:
> > The fundamental thing that doesn't work for me is the System Settings
> > -> User Management. I use the Administrator Mode button, but still
> > the buttons for New, Modify and Delete user are greyed out. Can
> > anybody else confirm this please?
>
>I had the same problem some time ago, but I think it was caused by old
>config files somewhere in the directory ~/.kde (I did an upgrade from
>Dapper). I deleted that directory and started with a fresh KDE
>environment and the system settings also worked in administrator mode.
>But beware, if you delete that directory, you may loose your emails (and
>maybe other things which are important to you). You could try the
>command "kdesu systemsettings" (without quotes) if nothing else works.
>

>Nils

The machine I am fiddling with at home was a fresh installation. The
machine I set up for a friend was a fresh installation onto a fresh
hard drive. Both have the same problem. I reinstated the users' home
folders from a Dapper installation on the friend's machine, but I
don't think I carried over the administrator's home folder.

What I can do is try deleting the ~/.kde folder, unless I can find a
systemsettings config file somewhere in there, and try again.

Dave

Old 04-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Nigel Ridley

David Fletcher wrote:
> At 10:52 08/04/2008, you wrote:
>> David Fletcher wrote:
>>> The fundamental thing that doesn't work for me is the System Settings
>>> -> User Management. I use the Administrator Mode button, but still
>>> the buttons for New, Modify and Delete user are greyed out. Can
>>> anybody else confirm this please?
>> I had the same problem some time ago, but I think it was caused by old
>> config files somewhere in the directory ~/.kde (I did an upgrade from
>> Dapper). I deleted that directory and started with a fresh KDE
>> environment and the system settings also worked in administrator mode.
>> But beware, if you delete that directory, you may loose your emails (and
>> maybe other things which are important to you). You could try the
>> command "kdesu systemsettings" (without quotes) if nothing else works.
>>

>> Nils
>
> The machine I am fiddling with at home was a fresh installation. The
> machine I set up for a friend was a fresh installation onto a fresh
> hard drive. Both have the same problem. I reinstated the users' home
> folders from a Dapper installation on the friend's machine, but I
> don't think I carried over the administrator's home folder.
>
> What I can do is try deleting the ~/.kde folder, unless I can find a
> systemsettings config file somewhere in there, and try again.
>
> Dave

'sudo apt-get install kuser'

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 04-08-2008, 10:48 PM
David Fletcher

On Tuesday 08 Apr 2008, Nigel Ridley wrote:

> 'sudo apt-get install kuser'

That gets around, but doesn't solve, the original problem.

Dave

--
Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763

Old 04-13-2008, 10:26 PM
David Fletcher

On Tuesday 08 Apr 2008, David Fletcher wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 Apr 2008, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> >
> > 'sudo apt-get install kuser'
> >

> That gets around, but doesn't solve, the original problem.
>
> Dave

I've now done a completely fresh install of Hardy on my laptop. This time I
didn't seem to have the corrupted rc file, but it still didn't work. After I
installed kuser, it worked.

So, I take back the above remark, but if systemsettings has a dependency which
requires something from kuser, perhaps there is another possible bug here?

BTW I just removed kuser from the laptop and user administration in
systemsettings still works. So I don't understand what's going on here.

If anybody can confirm what I just experienced with a fresh install, then
perhaps I'm not going mad!

Dave

--

FACT - Millions of people worldwide continue to pay money to the richest
person in the world to use his products, even though perfectly good software