Old 04-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

Default Activities vs. virtual desktops

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 05:20:27 PM Anj Tuesday wrote:
> If virtual desktops are like swivelling around in your office chair and
> facing a different desk, activities are like going into an entirely
> different room with different tools and projects ready to be worked with.

Good Analogy - worthwhile putting that in the wiki.
--
Lindsay

Old 04-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Anj Tuesday

Am Montag, 30. April 2012, 01:39:58 schrieb Lindsay Mathieson:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 05:20:27 PM Anj Tuesday wrote:
> > If virtual desktops are like swivelling around in your office chair and
> > facing a different desk, activities are like going into an entirely
> > different room with different tools and projects ready to be worked with.
>
> Good Analogy - worthwhile putting that in the wiki.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

"Can be a resource suckers for older systems" - anyone have any way to
quantify this? How slow a CPU and/or minimum RAM for the activities to
become too sluggish?

Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Waleed Hamra said the following at 04/29/2012 09:24 AM :

> very good question, i'm hoping for an explanation a well, never used
> activities, and don't know what they are :S

I used them for a while, and then at some point a Kubuntu upgrade caused all
of them except the default activity to disappear. Haven't bothered with them
since... I couldn't see any advantage to them in practice, they were buggy,
and then losing them during an upgrade was the last straw (although I have no
idea whether the fault for that was KDE's or Kubuntu's).

Sometimes it's hard for this user not to get the impression that swathes of
Kubuntu, or even KDE4 in general, are not intended for real work.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 04-30-2012, 01:22 AM
Ryan Gauger

I think Activities are better than virtual desktops.

Sent from my iPod

Old 04-30-2012, 02:44 AM
Paul Lemmons

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Ryan Gauger <rtgkid@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think Activities are better than virtual desktops.
>
> Sent from my iPod

Not what I would call an answer to the OP's question but I guess it is
good to know that somebody likes them

The goal, I believe, in their creation, was to address those that have
sets of applications to perform specific jobs and the person has
multiple jobs. So if you are a photo editor and a book writer and an
accountant and a systems database administration when not writing php
code, activities may work for you. They let you Jekyll and Hyde your
different personae without one interfering with another; Each would be
represented by its own activity.

What I found was that I am not schizophrenic enough for them to be
very much use to me. I found that virtual desktops fit the way I work
much better. I like having all of my personae visible at all times
because I switch between them very often throughout the day. The
activities simply slowed me down because I would have to first switch
activities and then switch to the application I wanted to use. Using
virtual desktops I am able to simply go to the application right away.

They are both right and valuable but as with anything YMMV with either solution.

--
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both. --Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Guus