Old 04-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Georgi Kourtev

Default Activities vs. virtual desktops

Hi all. Can anyone explain me what is the difference between the 'Activities'
and 'virtual desktops'? It seems quite the same for me and difficult to
understand what is the value of using one against the other. Thanks.
gk

Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Anj Tuesday

Am Sonntag, 29. April 2012, 17:37:09 schrieb Georgi Kourtev:
> Hi all. Can anyone explain me what is the difference between the
> 'Activities' and 'virtual desktops'? It seems quite the same for me and
> difficult to understand what is the value of using one against the other.

Each activity has its own set of widgets and its own wallpaper(s), and each
activity can automatically restore a set of running applications that is
specific to it but not to other activities.

If virtual desktops are like swivelling around in your office chair and facing
a different desk, activities are like going into an entirely different
room with different tools and projects ready to be worked with.

When it works, it's a simple way to switch between projects without bringing
all the other clutter along.

Yes, virtual desktops can be used in such a manner *to an extent*, too.
But I've come to appreciate to have an "general internet laziness" activity
and a "translation work" activity and a "replaying Ultima IV" activity,
for example.

Anja

Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Clay Weber

On Sunday, April 29, 2012 05:37:09 PM Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> Hi all. Can anyone explain me what is the difference between the
> 'Activities' and 'virtual desktops'? It seems quite the same for me and
> difficult to understand what is the value of using one against the other.
> Thanks. gk

Activities I find hard to describe, really.
Basically they are a group of , well, activities based more on widget
selection, as you can have different widgets, backgrounds on each.

Then each Activity can have multiple "classic" virtual desktops.

An activity is basically a virtual desktop on a bit of steroids, if you
will. In KDE 4.8, power management is even integrated so that you can tailor
screen power management based on them.

I do not use virtual desktops myself, but do use activities. I created one
with a plain, clean desktop. I have Calligra Words open there, and when I
switch to my main desktop and turn off the Writer Mode activity, it saves what
applications I have on it so they open when I turn it back on. I have used
another one with a bunch of plasma widgets just for showing off .

They are not 100% perfect for me - I'd like an option to hide, customize or
turn off the bottom panel/taskbar on an individual activity for a distraction
and notification-free screen, for example. And they can be resource suckers for
older systems, but that is offset by being able to turn them off and on as
needed.

Of course, there is nothing keeping one from using the classic virtual desktop
system.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 04-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Waleed Hamra

On Sunday April 29 2012 17:37:09 Georgi Kourtev wrote:
> Hi all. Can anyone explain me what is the difference between the
> 'Activities' and 'virtual desktops'? It seems quite the same for me and
> difficult to understand what is the value of using one against the other.
> Thanks. gk

very good question, i'm hoping for an explanation a well, never used
activities, and don't know what they are :S
--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems