Old 04-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Leslie Anne Chatterton

Default New Precise install

Hi List,

I'm having an unusually hard time getting 12.04 on my 6(?) year old
Gateway laptop. It has 1 GB of RAM, 80 GB HDD (all free and, a 1.6GHz
Turion 64 CPU. I had no problem installing 11.10, but several
downloads and burns of 12.04 always stopped foreer at the "gear wheel"
with dots underneath. I've tried both 64 bit and 32 bit versions, and
the alternate installer 64 bit version, with the same result, it never
even got to the choice between "test it out" and "install".

Right now I'm in the middle of doing a version upgrade from a brand
new install of 32 bit 11.10, which seems to be working. It is getting
new packages very, very slowly, might be finished in 10 hours!

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is there any fix?

Does this mean that my admittedly obsolete hardware has really reached
it's end of life for Kubuntu?

Cheers