Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 AM
"Steve Cookson"

Default Kubuntu 11.10 won'1t boot after upgrade.

Hi Guys,

I just did a routine
package upgrade and restarted (I recall it might have been a KDE upgrade), and
now it is stuck in a permanent boot screen.

Any ideas what might have
happened and what I should do?

Regards

Steve

Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 AM
"Steve Cookson"

I have just pressed f1 after a long boot and I get:

* stopping Flush boot log to dosik
---------------------------------------------------[ OK ]
Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/dissable: usr.bin.firefox
* Starting Apparmor
profiles----------------------------------------------------------[ OK ]
* Stopping Failsaif Boot
delay--------------------------------------------------------[ OK ]
* Stopping Sytstem V initialisation compatibility
------------------------------------[ OK ]
* Starting Sytstem V runlevel compatibility
------------------------------------------[ OK ]
* Stopping automatic crash report generation
-----------------------------------------[fail]

Starting K Display Manager also fails.

Then it continues on and finally hangs after:

Stopping enable remaining boot-time ecrypted block
devices----------------------------[ OK ]

Regards

Steve

Old 04-26-2012, 03:33 AM
Ryan Gauger

This was caused by (obviously) the upgrade. Something has probably gone wrong. This may have been caused by broken packages or a GRUB boot error. If GRUB is causing the issue, you will need to reinstall it. If the system itself is broken, you will need to either 1) insert your backup CD and restore the operating system by following the instructions, or 2) completely reinstall Kubuntu with the original installation disk. If you do not have a backup disk, you will need to go with number two of the two options I have provided. Hope this helps!

In Christ,
Ryan

Sent from my iPod

Old 04-26-2012, 04:53 AM
Errol Sapir

Hi Steve

The same thing happened to me when upgrading to 12.04. I posted a
thread explaining what I did. I am copying it here. Maybe it can
help you.

Errol

Thread entitled " lost my grub an the way to 12.04"

A funny (and annoying) thing happened when I upgraded from 11.10
to 12.04 beta. I did the upgrade as described on the Kubuntu site
with the "kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade" command and everything
went smoothly. I took a long walk, had a cup of coffee and came
back to the computer to be asked whether I wanted to remove
obsolete packages. I did and then restarted. That's when my
troubles started.

After rebooting, instead of getting the GUI grub menu I got a
grub menu (the same grub menu I always had) typed in the bios
format. When attempting to go into any of the grub menu lines I
got a message "partition not recognised" and no amount of changing
the grub with the "e" command fixed any of that.

My solution was to boot my computer using the "super grub" disk.
I then got into my perfectly upgraded Kubuntu and was able to
work. BUT every time I rebooted I had to use the "super grub"
disk. Eventually I did apt-get install (grub) and removed and
manipulated the apt-get with all sorts of suggestions (such as use
-f). When eventually the apt-get install grub installed without
errors (after many trials) the computer was able to reboot and go
to my grub and work without "super grub".

Wondering if others had a similar problem and why all this
happened on what was a really smooth upgrade.I am very happy with
12.04 and everything is working well despite it being a beta. Well
done Kubuntu developers (with or without canonical help).

Errol

Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Alvin Demeyer

On Thursday 26 April 2012 06:53:05 Errol Sapir wrote:
> <head>
> http-equiv="Content-Type">
> </head>
> bidimailui-detected-decoding-type="latin-charset" text="#000000"
> bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
> thread explaining what I did. I am copying it here. Maybe it can
> help you.</p>

HTML and top-posting?

It's clearly not a grub error. If it were, the boot process wouldn't even
start. What you need now is to know where it goes wrong.

Always, always remove the "quiet splash" options. It's the first thing I do
after a fresh installation. In this case, you might be able to set them by
chrooting from a LiveCD.

Why? Well, that nice beautiful splash screen hides from you what you want to
know. There's a warning? You won't see it. A daemon doesn't start? You won't
know. Because Ubuntu lacks boot logging since the switch to upstart [1] many
years ago, it can be hard to find out what went wrong during the boot process.

This is what you do (as root):
- Edit */etc/default/grub*
- Change the line
/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"/
/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""/
- Run *update-grub*

Yes, this will put text back on your console. It might nog look as pretty as a
bar jumping from left to right and back, but it is slightly more useful and
should be the default setting.

Maybe someone can post a link with some explanation of how to get into a
chrooted environment to do this? I didn't find one. It should go like this:
- Boot a LiveCD
- mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
(if sda1 contains your root filesystem and /boot. Maybe more is required.)
- mount -t proc none /mnt/proc
- mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
- chroot /mnt /bin/bash

While your disk is mounted, take a look at /mnt/var/log/boot.log

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/328881
(seems to be fixed now)

Old 04-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Errol Sapir

[...]

Hi Alvin

Sorry for the top posting. As for the HTML I can't understand what's
going on.* I get the message as I sent it, without the HTML
settings.

Errol

Old 04-26-2012, 10:25 AM
"Steve Cookson"

>Always, always remove the "quiet splash" options. It's the first thing I do

>after a fresh installation. In this case, you might be able to set them by
>chrooting from a LiveCD.

Is this not the same as pressing esc during boot. I get a series of error
messages then as per my second email?

Regards

Steve.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:50 AM
"Steve Cookson"

Hi Ryan,

> Something has probably gone wrong. This may have been caused by broken
packages or a GRUB boot error.

Thanks for this.

I'm creating a parallel installation so I can choose at boot time.

Ideally, I feel I should be able to fix my install eg by doing:

esc
alt-ctrl-f1
(login)
(I can't remember if I did a startx here or not)
dpkg --configure -a

which I did and it fixed a number of problems, but not enough to boot.

Regards

Steve

Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Alvin

On Thursday 26 April 2012 12:50:09 Steve Cookson wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> > Something has probably gone wrong. This may have been caused by broken
> > packages or a GRUB boot error.
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> I'm creating a parallel installation so I can choose at boot time.
> Ideally, I feel I should be able to fix my install eg by doing:
>
> esc
> alt-ctrl-f1
> (login)
> (I can't remember if I did a startx here or not)
> dpkg --configure -a
>
> which I did and it fixed a number of problems, but not enough to boot.

Yes, it did. If you can log in, you can boot :-) It's only X that doesn't
start. Look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors.

Try restarting kdm ( /etc/init.d/kdm restart ) and see what happens on TTY7.