Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Jerry Lapham

Default plasma-desktop crashes KDE 4.74

I upgraded Kubuntu 10.10 to 11.04 and got a broken up screen when KDE started.
After some messing around in terminal mode, it let me upgrade to 11.10, which
was my orginal target. When I boot 11.10, I get the following:

Application: Plasma Desktop Shell (plasma-desktop), signal: Segmentation fault

I searched for it on https://bugs.kde.org and it identified it as bug
#285663, which was closed as a dupl of bug #280494, which was fixed.

It's obviously not fixed for me. What do I do now (besides waiting for Kubuntu
12.04 and installing it rather than upgrading)?

-Jerry

Old 04-26-2012, 03:35 AM
Ryan Gauger

Actually, Kubuntu 12.04 LTS will be officially released tomorrow in Eastern US time, and today British Summer Time. Waiting will probably be your best option. Thanks!

In Christ,
Ryan

Sent from my iPod

Old 04-26-2012, 03:48 AM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 04:21:01 PM Jerry Lapham wrote:
> It's obviously not fixed for me. What do I do now (besides waiting for
> Kubuntu 12.04 and installing it rather than upgrading)?

Whenever I get a plasma crash I try resetting the desktop.

from a console prompt:

mv ~/.kde ~/.kde.bak
reboot

If it fixes the issue then it was just a config issue that got cerated during
the upgrade.

WARNING:This will lose your kde setup.

--
Lindsay