Old 04-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Tom Bell

Default Rebooting while photos in print queue

I had some photographs I was printing from GIMP using GutenPrint and had
them minimized. When an update ended I completely forgot about the
printing in progress and selected "restart". When I was back up, I had
lost all USB except for my keyboard (DAS) and my Logitech wireless USB
mouse. I also could not get online.
I ended up using the live CD of Gutsy Gibbon Kubuntu 7.10, AMD64 and
found that I could get online and access my USB products. I eventually
reloaded the OS and got everything back.
Why is there no way to test the integrity of parts of the system and
allow recovery of the damaged/altered files???
Thank you!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:11 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/4/8 Tom Bell <cbell44@cfl.rr.com>:
> I had some photographs I was printing from GIMP using GutenPrint and had
> them minimized. When an update ended I completely forgot about the
> printing in progress and selected "restart". When I was back up, I had
> lost all USB except for my keyboard (DAS) and my Logitech wireless USB
> mouse. I also could not get online.
> I ended up using the live CD of Gutsy Gibbon Kubuntu 7.10, AMD64 and
> found that I could get online and access my USB products. I eventually
> reloaded the OS and got everything back.
> Why is there no way to test the integrity of parts of the system and
> allow recovery of the damaged/altered files???
> Thank you!

On system using RPM packages you can verify all installed file against
a checksum
to see what files have been changed. Perhaps there is a similar function for deb
packages? I would try to read some documentation on the deb packages system to
see if there is such function and if post how on this list as i would
like to know that to.
Or perhaps there is some on the list that already has a answer?

/ Jonas