-   -   Unable to wake from Sleep (suspend to Ram) (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/659349-unable-wake-sleep-suspend-ram.html)

Lindsay Mathieson 04-25-2012 01:19 AM

Unable to wake from Sleep (suspend to Ram)

I'm running 12.04 but probably not 12.04 specific - I've been trying to get
sleep mode working for years with limited success. Basically I activate sleep
mode (suspend to RAM) and that seems to work ok, everything switches off
quickly. When I hit a key to wake up, the power light on the pc switches on,
the hard drive seems to spin up, but the screen remains blank. Switching to
console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) does not work. Power button off doesn't work.

Interestingly the reset button gives me a hung machine, I don't even see a
POST. I have to powercycle to get a boot back.

Depending on the combination of settings I try, sometimes I get 3 beeps from
the PC Speaker when attempting sleep.

I've tried:
- acpi_sleep=S3_bios
- acpi_sleep=S3_mode

Blacklisting intel_agp

Physically disconnecting my DVD drive - it seemed to be spinning up and down.

Uninstalling the NVidia driver and reverting to nouveau.

Switching to the Onboard Video (Intel i5 Gen2 - HD3000 I think).

System:
Intel i5 2500 (4 cores)
8 GB ram
Kubuntu 12.04 64 bit
Billion USB Wireless Adapter
logitech USB Keyboard and Mouse
LG Widesreen LCD

Any suggestions?
--
Lindsay

"O. Sinclair" 04-25-2012 04:36 AM

[...]

Check out tux-on-ice, there is a ppa with modified kernels for that. For
me it works better than "vanilla" kernels

Sinclair

Lindsay Mathieson 04-26-2012 03:56 AM

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 06:36:31 AM O. Sinclair wrote:
> Check out tux-on-ice, there is a ppa with modified kernels for that. For
> me it works better than "vanilla" kernels

Thanks Sinclair, I had some sucess with that. pm-hibernate worked very well
and quite fast, pm-ssuspend still hung though.

Unfortunately wireless was inoperative after waking from hibernate and I've
run out of time to fiddle with it right now.

Alos could figure how to get the logout menu/buttons to use pm-hibernate
rather than whatever they are doing now.
--
Lindsay

Mike McGinn 04-26-2012 10:22 AM

On Wednesday, April 25, 2012 23:56:48 Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 06:36:31 AM O. Sinclair wrote:
> > Check out tux-on-ice, there is a ppa with modified kernels for that. For
> > me it works better than "vanilla" kernels
>
> Thanks Sinclair, I had some sucess with that. pm-hibernate worked very well
> and quite fast, pm-ssuspend still hung though.
>
> Unfortunately wireless was inoperative after waking from hibernate and I've
> run out of time to fiddle with it right now.
>
> Alos could figure how to get the logout menu/buttons to use pm-hibernate
> rather than whatever they are doing now.

rm /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state will fix the wireless problem
on waking.

--
Mike McGinn FACOCM
Ex Uno Plurima

Lindsay Mathieson 04-26-2012 11:40 AM

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 06:22:45 AM Mike McGinn wrote:
> rm /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state will fix the wireless
> problem on waking.

Thanks
--
Lindsay